Oh my GOD! D810 has a bayonet mount that's mounted in CHEAP PLASTIC??! A $3000 body??!

Old October 11th 15, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Oh my GOD! D810 has a bayonet mount that's mounted in CHEAP PLASTIC??! A $3000 body??!

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:40:48 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Disgusting.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56602541

Hardly 'cheap plastic'. Almost certainly carbon-fibre.

Unfortunately carbon-fibre is known to have poor shock resistance.
(This is the problem which put Rolls Royce into bankruptcy when they
were first developing the RB211 engine). It's basically a design and
specification (of the carbon-fibre part) problem and I bet Nikon is
thinking hard about this right now.

Eric Stevens
Old October 12th 15, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

wrote:

Disgusting.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56602541

Hardly 'cheap plastic'. Almost certainly carbon-fibre.

Unfortunately carbon-fibre is known to have poor shock resistance.
(This is the problem which put Rolls Royce into bankruptcy when they
were first developing the RB211 engine). It's basically a design and
specification (of the carbon-fibre part) problem and I bet Nikon is
thinking hard about this right now.

I do believe it's designed to be a weak point.
People complained about the D800. The lens mount was attached directly
to the chassis. Crack the chassis by dropping the camera with a large
lens attached, and the camera body is uneconomical to repair.

RichA would have you believe that they changed an existing design to a
new one to make it worse and save a few cents.
Old October 12th 15, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Disgusting.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56602541

Hardly 'cheap plastic'. Almost certainly carbon-fibre.

Unfortunately carbon-fibre is known to have poor shock resistance.
(This is the problem which put Rolls Royce into bankruptcy when they
were first developing the RB211 engine). It's basically a design and
specification (of the carbon-fibre part) problem and I bet Nikon is
thinking hard about this right now.

I do believe it's designed to be a weak point.
People complained about the D800. The lens mount was attached directly
to the chassis. Crack the chassis by dropping the camera with a large
lens attached, and the camera body is uneconomical to repair.

In that case I hope they have made it easy to replace.

Old October 12th 15, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

wrote:

Disgusting.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56602541

Hardly 'cheap plastic'. Almost certainly carbon-fibre.

Unfortunately carbon-fibre is known to have poor shock resistance.
(This is the problem which put Rolls Royce into bankruptcy when they
were first developing the RB211 engine). It's basically a design and
specification (of the carbon-fibre part) problem and I bet Nikon is
thinking hard about this right now.

It looks like your average glass fiber reinforced plastic. It's cheap,
almost as strong as aluminum, and stronger than inexpensive forms of
carbon fiber.

From the photo, it looks like the failure was caused by undersized
screws. In cases where that's intentional to limit damage, there's
usually an oversized screw from the manufacturer that gives you a second
chance.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.
Old October 13th 15, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

Disgusting.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56602541

Hardly 'cheap plastic'. Almost certainly carbon-fibre.

Unfortunately carbon-fibre is known to have poor shock resistance.
(This is the problem which put Rolls Royce into bankruptcy when they
were first developing the RB211 engine). It's basically a design and
specification (of the carbon-fibre part) problem and I bet Nikon is
thinking hard about this right now.

I do believe it's designed to be a weak point.
People complained about the D800. The lens mount was attached directly
to the chassis. Crack the chassis by dropping the camera with a large
lens attached, and the camera body is uneconomical to repair.

RichA would have you believe that they changed an existing design to a
new one to make it worse and save a few cents.

Save what? Plastic is used to save money.

And: reduce weight; make a stronger product; act as an insulator, etc.

--
PeterN
Old October 13th 15, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Disgusting.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56602541

Hardly 'cheap plastic'. Almost certainly carbon-fibre.

Unfortunately carbon-fibre is known to have poor shock resistance.
(This is the problem which put Rolls Royce into bankruptcy when they
were first developing the RB211 engine). It's basically a design and
specification (of the carbon-fibre part) problem and I bet Nikon is
thinking hard about this right now.

I do believe it's designed to be a weak point.
People complained about the D800. The lens mount was attached directly
to the chassis. Crack the chassis by dropping the camera with a large
lens attached, and the camera body is uneconomical to repair.

RichA would have you believe that they changed an existing design to a
new one to make it worse and save a few cents.

Save what? Plastic is used to save money.

Not in this case. It would have been cheaper to do away with the extra
plastic part and mold the necessary material into the metal frame.
Nikon must have had a functional reason for adding an additional part
into the camera, but I don't know what it would be. Using it as a
mechanical fuse does make sense.

Eric Stevens
Old October 13th 15, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

Disgusting.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56602541

Hardly 'cheap plastic'. Almost certainly carbon-fibre.

Unfortunately carbon-fibre is known to have poor shock resistance.
(This is the problem which put Rolls Royce into bankruptcy when they
were first developing the RB211 engine). It's basically a design and
specification (of the carbon-fibre part) problem and I bet Nikon is
thinking hard about this right now.

I do believe it's designed to be a weak point.
People complained about the D800. The lens mount was attached directly
to the chassis. Crack the chassis by dropping the camera with a large
lens attached, and the camera body is uneconomical to repair.

RichA would have you believe that they changed an existing design to a
new one to make it worse and save a few cents.

Save what? Plastic is used to save money.

What do you think would have happened to the lens if the mount hadn't
caved?
--
teleportation kills
Old October 13th 15, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 10/12/2015 11:43 PM, android wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Aren't you making an assumption by asking Rich: "what do you think...."

--
PeterN
Old October 13th 15, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

[...]

Naha, I think that RichA can think...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 14th 15, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 10/13/2015 11:27 AM, android wrote:

wrote:

[...]

But does he.