Why so blue?

Old February 18th 15, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

Default Why so blue?

First off, I didn't take this photo.

A ski area I've been following on twitter has been tweeting pictures
that almost always have horrible white balance.
Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1w8ikjxoh...Tweet.jpg?dl=0

What the heck are they doing wrong? I have no idea what they're using
to take these shots.

==
Later...
Ron C
Old February 18th 15, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Ron C wrote:

First off, I didn't take this photo.

A ski area I've been following on twitter has been tweeting pictures
that almost always have horrible white balance. Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1w8ikjxoh...Tweet.jpg?dl=0

What the heck are they doing wrong? I have no idea what they're
using to take these shots.

It could obviously be deliberate, using some smart phone camera filter.

--
Sandman
Old February 18th 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Ron C
says...
A ski area I've been following on twitter has been tweeting pictures
that almost always have horrible white balance.
Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1w8ikjxoh...Tweet.jpg?dl=0

What the heck are they doing wrong? I have no idea what they're using
to take these shots.

Many years ago I took some shots using a film camera of a snow mountain
scene. Many came out with blue snow, similar to this shot.

Probably up in the mountains there is plenty of blue light and the
camera's white balance didn't work properly.
--
Alfred Molon

Old February 18th 15, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-02-18 18:28:16 +0000, Ron C said:

First off, I didn't take this photo.

A ski area I've been following on twitter has been tweeting pictures
that almost always have horrible white balance.
Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1w8ikjxoh...Tweet.jpg?dl=0

What the heck are they doing wrong? I have no idea what they're using
to take these shots.

Yup! The WB is way off. It looks like they used the "flourescent
lighting" preset. or the Auto WB couldn't handle the sky reflecting off
the snow.
Even worse would be if they shot it with a phone and applied some sort
of Instagram filter.

Do you know what camera they used?

Anyway, it is almost fixable. If it was shot in RAW it would be very fixable.
Here is my best quick fix. It is still not right, but it is better than
the version you presented.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Camelback-Tweet-B.jpg

Savageduck

Old February 18th 15, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Ron C wrote:
First off, I didn't take this photo.

A ski area I've been following on twitter has been tweeting pictures
that almost always have horrible white balance.
Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1w8ikjxoh...Tweet.jpg?dl=0

What the heck are they doing wrong? I have no idea what they're using
to take these shots.

The scene is illuminated with blue light from a blue sky
and reflections of that blue light from all that white
snow.

All it needs is the have the "horrible white balance"
set to something not horrible.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old February 18th 15, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 2/18/2015 4:05 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Ron C wrote:
First off, I didn't take this photo.

A ski area I've been following on twitter has been tweeting pictures
that almost always have horrible white balance.
Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1w8ikjxoh...Tweet.jpg?dl=0

What the heck are they doing wrong? I have no idea what they're using
to take these shots.

The scene is illuminated with blue light from a blue sky
and reflections of that blue light from all that white
snow.

All it needs is the have the "horrible white balance"
set to something not horrible.

Night shot, no overwhelming blue sky reflections:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0baaj2ly60...eet-2.jpg?dl=0

==
Later...
Ron C

Old February 19th 15, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Ron C wrote:
First off, I didn't take this photo.

A ski area I've been following on twitter has been tweeting pictures
that almost always have horrible white balance.
Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1w8ikjxoh...Tweet.jpg?dl=0

What the heck are they doing wrong? I have no idea what they're using
to take these shots.

The scene is illuminated with blue light from a blue sky
and reflections of that blue light from all that white
snow.

All it needs is the have the "horrible white balance"
set to something not horrible.

Night shot, no overwhelming blue sky reflections:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0baaj2ly60...eet-2.jpg?dl=0

Actually at night virtually all of the light from the sky is also
very blue. That's why the shadow areas are blue, and the areas lit
by electric lights are not.

Hence it is the same problem, "horrible white balance", except this
time there is an added problem. Light from two different sources
that are quite different. You can't set the White Balance for one
without getting something odd from the other.

Old February 19th 15, 02:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

Ron C wrote:
[...]

Not buying that. I've seen a number of balanced "Go-Pro"
shots on that mountain in various lighting conditions that
don't have that problem/effect.

I'm wondering if this is one of those "creative" in camera
processes, some camera defect, or something else.
As far as I know, folks that tweet pictures don't tend
to do much post processing. Thus for me the question
"why so blue" is still open.

Anyway, it's not an effect I'm seeking to emulate.
My camera doesn't do any of those silly things.

==
Later...
Ron C

Old February 19th 15, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

In article ,
Ron C wrote:

First off, I didn't take this photo.

A ski area I've been following on twitter has been tweeting pictures
that almost always have horrible white balance.
Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1w8ikjxoh...Tweet.jpg?dl=0

What the heck are they doing wrong? I have no idea what they're using
to take these shots.

==
Later...
Ron C
--

Whitebalance is set to daylight or indoors when it should be set to
cloudy or auto. Snow is actually very blue.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.
Old February 19th 15, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
In article ,
Ron C wrote:

First off, I didn't take this photo.

A ski area I've been following on twitter has been tweeting pictures
that almost always have horrible white balance.
Example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1w8ikjxoh...Tweet.jpg?dl=0

What the heck are they doing wrong? I have no idea what they're using
to take these shots.

==
Later...
Ron C
--

Whitebalance is set to daylight or indoors when it should be set to
cloudy or auto. Snow is actually very blue.

Snow is not blue. The sky is blue because the
atmosphere scatters shorter wavelengths of light. Red
or green can pass more directly through the atmospherr,
but blue doesn't. The atmosphere is much like a huge
diffuser, reflecting mostly the blue light in all
direction.

Light rays that are directly from the sun will have all
colors. Hence areas in the shade are more blue than
areas in the sun. And the white balance for direct
sunlight will be close to 5000K, while white balance for
shade will be more like 7500K, and the light itself
might actually be up around 10,000K.

Blue MJK Digital Photography 5 June 12th 09 04:50 PM
Blue Chair Pad [email protected] Medium Format Photography Equipment 0 May 21st 09 04:21 AM
RVP 100 a bit too blue? Alan Browne Medium Format Photography Equipment 7 June 4th 07 05:58 AM
Is this photo too blue? Cynicor Digital Photography 12 September 15th 06 06:12 PM
Mystery Blue Don Dunlap Digital Photography 11 December 20th 04 10:54 AM