The lowdown on iPIX

Old April 10th 05, 02:52 AM
Paul Rubin

"DJAurand" writes:
They own the US patent and they protect it

They haven't lost a single case.

What part of that don't you get?

They threatened Helmut Dersch (author of Panorama Tools) with a bogus
infringement claim and backed down when he stood up to them, because
they knew they would lose if they pressed it. But that they hassled
him at all with such crap, even without going to court and losing,
shows the predatory attitude which is why many of us think they belong
in hell.

Old April 10th 05, 04:02 AM
DJAurand

So why does iPIX still hold the patent in the US and not Mr Dersch?

My understanding of the infringement case was that they settled out of
court and that Mr Dersch agreed to not market (sell) his product in the
US. That's why he gives it away on the net.

What you call predatory I call agressive.

Hypothetical Question: A franchisor of 10 Sheraton hotels, all in your
state, likes your work but needs the virtual images in the iPIX format
since StarwoodHotels.com only supports that format. Thats 10 hotels
needing 10 images each at $150 each or $15,000 plus expenses.
Are you going turn down the contract?

I find too many Virtual Tour Photographers are great "artists" and
lousy business people. Their Virtual Tour businesses are little more
than a hobby that generates a little income, because they hold opinions
like yours about something they had no part of.

You probably think Microsoft is the "Evil Empire" too?

Old April 10th 05, 04:26 AM
Unclaimed Mysteries

DJAurand wrote:

Bart
iPIX's patents have been repeatedly upheld in US Federal Court.

They own the US patent and they protect it

They haven't lost a single case.

What part of that don't you get?

Doug

First, my compliments on your courage of sorts. Defending iPIX can't be
the easiest way to win friends.

Second, the USPTO is bizarre and deranged. These are the same folks that
have granted a patent to someone for inventing a "method for swinging on
a swing." Couple their track record with the US Courts' scattershot
competence and it's not hard to imagine that with a break or two and
some slick lawyering a company such as iPIX can gain a reputation for
"innovation." Even if their main treasure leans on prior art going back
to, hell, GERHARD FREAKING MERCATOR(1512-1594).

Third, resistance is futile. They have rightfully earned a nasty
reputation for harassing people all over the world (COUGH Helmut Dersch
COUGH). But hey, you're riding their wave and I guess that one's gotta
do what one's gotta do to keep from wiping out. I didn't know that
included admitting in public that you are their iBiyatch, though.

Fourth, they are based in KNOXVILLE. They live in the same city as THE
GREAT ORANGE SATAN PHIL FULMER. Need I go on?

Corry
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

Of course I went to law school. - Warren Zevon, "Mr. Bad Example"

Old April 10th 05, 06:08 AM
DJAurand

Corry
Welcome to the real world of business; You can ride the wave or be down
by it.

Kind of like Microsoft and Macintosh, isn't? You can go with the big
player or be a small fry

Oh, by the way, they're in Oak Ridge not Knoxville

Old April 10th 05, 07:54 AM
Unclaimed Mysteries

DJAurand wrote:
Corry
Welcome to the real world of business; You can ride the wave or be down
by it.

Kind of like Microsoft and Macintosh, isn't? You can go with the big
player or be a small fry

This is soooo 1998.

Since you brought up Microsoft and by implication similar business
models, let me ask you:

1) Is your endorsement of iPIX based entirely upon pragamatism - that
is, because your clients demand it?

2) If a viable alternative were available, *and* these clients were open
to your use of it, would you consider it? If yes, under what circumstances?

3) Would you consider an open source-based system under any circumstances?

With these questions I'm trying to understand your apparent enthusiasm
for this company which by its vicious barratry has driven honest,
creative people practically underground. To me, supporting iPIX is
neither good for innovation nor business, at least not in the long term.

Oh, by the way, they're in Oak Ridge not Knoxville

I stand corrected.

Ipix Alan Smithey Digital Photography 3 December 31st 04 02:02 AM
Converting Ipix to .mov etc Gadgets Digital Photography 3 December 5th 04 07:00 AM
Converting Ipix to .mov etc Alan Smithey Digital Photography 0 December 3rd 04 03:19 AM
FS: iPIX Camera Kit - NOW REDUCED TO $985.00! John Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 0 November 14th 03 01:39 PM