The lowdown on iPIX

Old April 9th 05, 08:51 PM
DJAurand

Default The lowdown on iPIX

iPIX no longer offers its software that uses a $25 "Key" to produce
each Full 360x360 Image. Although they still support it and sell Keys.
The Keys for their Real Estate Wizard, a lower level product, are only
$20 for 5 keys.

The iPIX Interactive Studio is sold as a one year license that can
produce an unlimited number of images for a year. There is then a
reduced renewel fee.

Even so iPIX is not cheap software. $899 for the basic one year license
with 2 add-on modules available at $499 each. With the Formatter module
the iPIX Interactive Studio can output in Quicktime Cubic Panorama,
Equirectangular Projection, Cubic Strip, Shockwave w3d and of course
their propriatary .ipx format. The Enhancer module has image editing
tools for touching up the images right in the Interactive Studio.
They're pretty powerfull.

But for some one in the business of producing multimedia for the
Internet, that wants to offer Virtual Images for a fee, there's really
no other pratical choice;

Most of the hotel companies only support iPIX; Sheraton, Westin,
Hilton, Doubletree, Wyndham, Radisson and Marriott. If you want to sell
one of these hotels Virtual Images, iPIX is the only one they accept or
the one they prefer.

iPIX is one of the 3 Virtual Image Formats supported by Homestore.com,
who distributes Virtual Tours to Realtor.com, ColdwellBanker.com,
ERA.com, Century21.com, PrudentialRealEstate.com, REMAX.com and
GMACRealEstate.com. Without fast distributuion, a virtual tour of a
home for sale is useless.

Some of the other virtual image software is very good, especially
Quicktime VR. I use PhotoVista for printed panoramas.

But iPIX is really the only choice for the serious Multimedia Producer
that wants to do virtual imaging business with major companies.

If you're only going to make a few Virtual Images for fun or a hobby,
you should go with another company.

Yes I'm an iPIX Virtual Tour photographer. Take a look ate my demo
website at www.VirtualAlbuquerque.com

Douglas Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

Old April 10th 05, 12:08 AM
Keith

DJAurand wrote:

[...]

This is ******** - most real VR photographers would not touch iPix with
a barge pole - the quality is simply not there - as well as their
predatory / rip-off the photographer attitide. This subject has been
done to death in many other forums.

Old April 10th 05, 01:13 AM
Bart van der Wolf

"Keith" wrote in message
DJAurand wrote:

SNIP
But iPIX is really the only choice for the serious Multimedia
Producer that wants to do virtual imaging business with
major companies.

SNIP

This is ******** - most real VR photographers would not touch
iPix with a barge pole - the quality is simply not there - as well
as their predatory / rip-off the photographer attitide.

Indeed, see
http://swpat.ffii.org/patente/wirkun.../index.en.html.

This subject has been done to death in many other forums.

But it can't be stressed enough, they are bad news for progress in VR
photography.

Bart

Old April 10th 05, 01:17 AM
DJAurand

Then why does iPIX continue to be the technology of choice for so many
major Real Estate and Corporate Hotel websites?

I've expanded from Real Estate Tours to Hotel Tours and in a year and a
half I did 9 hotels in 4 states; a Hilton, a Sheraton, a Wyndham, two
Radissons, a Marriott and three independent hotels/resorts. Over 60
Images at $150 each

How many tours did you provide to a major hotel or real estate website
in the last year and a half

Old April 10th 05, 01:21 AM
DJAurand

Bart
iPIX's patents have been repeatedly upheld in US Federal Court.

They own the US patent and they protect it

They haven't lost a single case.

What part of that don't you get?

Doug

Ipix Alan Smithey Digital Photography 3 December 31st 04 03:02 AM
Converting Ipix to .mov etc Gadgets Digital Photography 3 December 5th 04 08:00 AM
Converting Ipix to .mov etc Alan Smithey Digital Photography 0 December 3rd 04 04:19 AM
FS: iPIX Camera Kit - NOW REDUCED TO $985.00! John Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 0 November 14th 03 02:39 PM