rebel 350 v. 20d

Old March 30th 05, 01:06 PM
Skip M

"Pete D" wrote in message

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Pete D" wrote:
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
wrote:

has anyone published a review of both images and handling of the
rebel
350 and canon 20d - using the same lenses, taking the same pix etc?
is
there any disadvantage other than the perhaps 0.3 megpixel difference
in their chips?

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/digital_rebel_xt/

I find the 350D too small. "If I was a 5ft female, maybe the size
would

be
perfect."

So are you a 7ft female? 6ft female?

I'm someone who has actually handled the thing: it's seriously awkward
_for
my hands_. The 300D and Mamiya 7 are very nice _for my hands_. Some
people
much prefer the 1D series size and weight.

It's a radically different beast from the 300D, and for people who don't
have a local store that carries it, IMHO, it's important to point out
that
Canon really busted their collective butts to make it smaller, and
succeeded. It's not a cheap version of the 20D, it's a miniature version
of
the 20D.

Sorry I did sound a bit of a ****** but have Canon got it that wrong? My
little Pentax *ist Ds is seriously small but great to use and handles
really well, I have reasonably big hands as I am 6ft.

I'm with David, I found the Rebel XT a little small for my hands, in fact,
the 20D is pushing the limits. But, interestingly, my wife found the Rebel
a little small to hold comfortable, because of her fashionable length
fingernails. She's used to the 20D, also.
I also found the Pentax too small for comfort, and the Oly E-1.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 30th 05, 03:11 PM
SamSez

wrote in message
has anyone published a review of both images and handling of the rebel
350 and canon 20d - using the same lenses, taking the same pix etc? is
there any disadvantage other than the perhaps 0.3 megpixel difference
in their chips?

tia ... steve

Don't forget about what happens to the balance when you put on a lens other than
the super light 18-55. I'd strongly suggest you try holding one with whatever
you plan for a walking-around lens.

Old March 30th 05, 08:18 PM
Sheldon

wrote in message
has anyone published a review of both images and handling of the rebel
350 and canon 20d - using the same lenses, taking the same pix etc? is
there any disadvantage other than the perhaps 0.3 megpixel difference
in their chips?

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/digital_rebel_xt/

I find the 350D too small. "If I was a 5ft female, maybe the size would be
perfect."

But it sounds as though the image quality is very very similar.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Anybody remember when Olympus came out with a complete line of professional
35mm cameras, much smaller and lighter than Canon and Nikon? The idea was
to give pros an alternative to hauling around much heavier equipment. The
quality was there, but many pros who tried it gave up as they found a
weightier camera was easier to hold and handle and brace when using slow
shutter speeds and long lenses.

All you can do is handle each and see which one suits you.

Old March 30th 05, 11:05 PM
Charles Schuler

Don't forget about what happens to the balance when you put on a lens
other than
the super light 18-55. I'd strongly suggest you try holding one with
whatever
you plan for a walking-around lens.

Boy, is this ever important for folks who walk around with a 100-400 IS!
That lens is a bit too much even for the 20D. I can't carry a tripod as I
grab my bird shots. Even a monopod is a pain in the arse and have given up
on that too.

Second item: inertia is your friend when hand-holding.

Old March 31st 05, 06:05 AM
Paul J Gans

wrote in message
has anyone published a review of both images and handling of the rebel
350 and canon 20d - using the same lenses, taking the same pix etc? is
there any disadvantage other than the perhaps 0.3 megpixel difference
in their chips?

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/digital_rebel_xt/

I find the 350D too small. "If I was a 5ft female, maybe the size would be
perfect."

So are you a 7ft female? 6ft female?

I think that you are simply "used to" the huge size of earlier Canons etc
and have not yet opened your mind.

I've not held a 350D. But in my experience a larger
(and heavier) camera is easier to hand hold steady
than a smaller, lighter one.

Of course one can quickly reach the point where the
camera is too large and/or too heavy.

But too small shakes too easily, in my opinion.

----- Paul J. Gans