Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

Old November 2nd 13, 10:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 22:53:11 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It's clear to me what usually happens. You start of with a single
specific (and often quite narrow) thought in your mind and dash of a
burst of words to encompass it.

Unfortunately the burst of words is often not sufficiently precise and
is open to genuine misinterpretation by others. From this point the
argument can head off in two different directions.

if you are confused by what i (or anyone else for that matter) writes,
ask for clarification.

People don't know tey are confused (if that is what it is) until they
discover they have taken a different meaning from the one you have
intended. The arguing usually starts at this point.

then how is it you know there are two directions?

Because we are arguing?

do not assume something that was not written.

Do not write something that was not intended. In other words, write
with precision.

i always do, but i can't help when you don't understand what you read
and don't ask for clarification.

Are really saying that each time I read something written by you I
should ask you for clarification of what you meant?

Eric Stevens
Old November 2nd 13, 10:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2 Nov 2013 08:54:43 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

It is clear from the complete quote that "outlasts" was in
reference to the user replacing the computer. You had to snip that
part out of the quote in order to interprete "outlast" as the
computer "giving up". When you include the entire quote, one *can
not* make that interpretation without looking like a fool or a
troll.

Wouldn't you replace a computer if it had "given up"?

Yes, but that has nothing to do with that we're talking about here. This is
yet another diversion from the troll.

Nonsense

I would replace a computer that had "given up". That doesn't mean that
every computer I have replaced has "given up"

Nobody is suggesting that.

Basic logical thinking, Eric. You're struggling to get up but you've been
down for the count for several days now.

Eric Stevens
Old November 2nd 13, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2 Nov 2013 08:56:15 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman: No, it was at that point Tony introduced the topic of
"Apple batteries" and I called him on it. You then thought I
was the one that had made the distinction when it was your
troll buddy. This blew up in your face as most things have
done lately.

He said "*If* the topic was Apple batteries ... "

Yes, as I said - he brought up the topic of "Apple batteries" as a
diversion.

He brought it up as an example. You made it a topic.

As I said, Tony is the one who brought up "Apple batteries", not me.

But you didn't say that.

Stop arguing in circles just to keep arguing. The first time the
phrase "Apple batteries" was used in this group *ever* (or at
least in the last two years) was when Tony wrote it in the post
I've quoted.

Words on their own do not make a topic.

Never claimed they did. Just correctly saying that it was Tony who brought
up "Apple batteries", not me. You are confused, and trying to make this in
to a "example" vs "topic" is of no consequence to your mistake.

You were the one who made it a topic.

Eric Stevens
Old November 2nd 13, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

"Outlasts" was the wrong word to use. It misled. It did
*not* provide clear meaning. No amount of twisting around
will convince anyone that the meaning intended was clear.
You cannot "interprete" [sic] it to be a clear declaration
of what the actual meaning was supposed to be.

outlast is a perfectly valid word to use. you're arguing for
the sake of arguing.

Yes, but it encompasses all kinds of possible reasons why it
should 'outlast'. You only meant one.

it's very obvious from context what is meant, but if you are
confused, ask for clarification.

The problem arose from the fact that at the time people didn't
realise they were confused - confused in the sense they took
something other than what you intended from your words. This only
become apparent later.

True - and any normal person would have posted this then:

"Oh, you meant they replace the computer, haha, I thought you meant
it broke down, my mistakes, sorry!"

But you guys aren't normal people, now are you? Nooo, you had to start
arguing about word definitions because that's the only thing you could do
because admitting to having made a mistake is TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE for you
guys to do. You have tons and tons of pride invested into your online
personas and having misunderstood what your greatest enemy - nospam - said
is not something you would ever admit, hence your natural reaction is
blaming him. Ok, he meant something else than what you had interpreted, but
it's HIS fault, not yours! He is the one that MADE you misunderstand, he
can't say that it was our mistake - he MADE, nay FORCED us to make the
mistake. NOT A SINGLE PERSON could have interpreted the sentence in the way
he actually meant it.

This is why you guys are trolls. You post to antagonize, to rile up. You
throw the line in and wait for people to take the bait.

Tony is working hard to ignore it - and snipped it away because he can't
deal with it - but I wrote about it to him as well:

http://usenet.sandman.net/reader/index/read?id=111824

The important part:

"In fact, in the followup troll you wrote, it was aimed squarely at this
discrepancy of his words, knowing full well that your supposed
interpretation of the words didn't really fit the already stated viewpoints
of nospam.

This, if anything, is the ultimate proof that what you did was meant 100%
as trolling. You willfully misinterpreted his words to antagonize and argue
with him because you dislike him. Not because you thought he had claimed
that Macs breaks down after five years, because you never ever thought he
meant that. It was just your lame attempt at trying to "stick it" to him,
finding the smallest loop holes you can find to inject your trolling into.
This is what you do, this is ONLY what you do."

That is trolling, one of the clearest examples of it. And you do it too.
You argue with nospam because it is nospam, not because he's wrong or
anything like that that would be worth arguing over. You're arguing because
you can't admit to being wrong.

It's not too late to change, though.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 2nd 13, 10:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens:
Actually it was you in Message-ID:
on 20/10/2013 when you
quoted from the URL provided by PeterN as follows:

Eric Stevens:
"check again, namely the footnote:

But you were the one who dragged Lenovo batteries out into the
public.

No he wasn't.

This is not worth squabbling over.

So why do you do it?

Facts:

Sandman
Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.
10/27/2013

"Yeah, it's pretty freaking awesome. Why anyone would choose
a 4-5 hour PC laptop over a Mac laptop is beyond me."

PeterN
Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.
10/28/2013

"Last time I checked Lenovo is a PC machine and 17 15
http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1712."

Peter was the one who introdcued Lenovo laptops into the discussion. Stop
arguing for once in your life!

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 2nd 13, 10:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sandman
wrote:

[...]

keep dreaming.

they'll never do that. they get off on arguing.
Old November 2nd 13, 10:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

microsoft word and microsoft excel existed on the mac *before* they
did on windows and when microsoft finally came out with the windows
versions, you could transfer between platforms.

But it didn't start on the Mac.

the gui version definitely did.

But that's not what you said, is it? Now you want to shift ground.

it's *exactly* what i said.

here it is again:
microsoft word and microsoft excel existed on the mac *before* they
did on windows and when microsoft finally came out with the windows

that is 100% true. the windows version of word came out ~4 years after
the mac version did, exactly like i said it did.

But not a word about the GUI version until you mentioned it later.

mac and windows are gui.

it could *never* have been dos.

what for? the meaning isn't going to change.

however, *you* should read it again, and again, and again. because you
*still* don't understand it.

what i said is absolutely correct and there is only one possible
interpretation:
microsoft word on the mac came out before microsoft word on windows.

i could phrase it in reverse, saying the same thing:
microsoft windows came out after microsoft word on the mac.

before, after. learn them.

or using math symbols: word-mac word-windows.

mac *before* they did on windows ... " I replied "But it didn't start
on the Mac".

i never said it started on the mac. i didn't say anything about where
it started.

i only said it was on the mac before it was on windows, and it was.

It was at that point you tried to narrow it down to the GUI version.

nope.

it was *always* about the gui versions.

i mentioned only mac and windows, and mac and windows are gui systems.

i did not mention any other system. since both are gui, therefore it's
about gui.

you are imagining a meaning that was not there.

no wonder these threads go off endlessly.

If you had said from the beginning "the GUI versions of microsoft word
and microsoft excel existed on the mac *before* they did on windows
... " we wouldn't be arguing now.

if you understood english, we wouldn't.

there is no need to explicitly spell out gui because it can't be
anything *but* gui on a mac or windows system. it's redundant.

furthermore, there are no cli versions of microsoft word (or excel) on
the mac or windows.

again, it's redundant to say 'gui version on the mac' because the
*only* version on the mac is a gui version. same for windows. the 'gui'
term is not needed.

one more time, microsoft word on the mac existed on the mac before it
did on windows. this is a true statement. it will always be true. it's
exactly correct and exactly what i wrote. there is only one possible
interpretation.

what i wrote does *not* say the first version of microsoft word was on
the mac.

all it says is that the mac version was before the windows version.

i said nothing about it being first on the mac. that is entirely your
fabrication.

you ask to write more clearly but i don't know how much clearer it can
get.

versions, you could transfer between platforms.

i never mentioned the dos version.

Nor did you distinguish it. It was all just 'Word' without any
limitations.

nonsense.

what part of 'existed on the mac' and 'finally came out on windows' is
not clear?

that is *specifically* referencing two platforms, neither of which are
dos and both are gui.

there is no possible alternative interpretation.

But Word did not start on the Mac, did it?

i never said it did.

i only referred to the mac version and the windows version.
Old November 2nd 13, 11:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

nospam:
microsoft word and microsoft excel existed on the mac
*before* they did on windows and when microsoft finally
came out with the windows

nospam:
that is 100% true. the windows version of word came out ~4 years
after the mac version did, exactly like i said it did.

nospam:
i never mentioned the dos version.

Nor did you distinguish it. It was all just 'Word' without any
limitations.

Eric, this is yet another instanse where YOU misinterpreted and are now
trying to blame nospam.

His claim, still quoted above, is 100% true and 100% clear. Word and Excel
existed for the *MAC* before it existed on *WINDOWS*. This is 100% true and
totally unambiguous.

Stop arguing about *everything*

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 2nd 13, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens:
The local Upper Harbour Motorway was completed several years ago
and is still shown in an early stage of earthworks in both
Google Earth and Google Maps.

Savageduck:
So, Apple got something right in their new OSX 10.9 desktop map
app.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_350.jpg

Yep, they did. But I see they have what is now a busy housing
development is marked as an airfield

As does Google Maps.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 2nd 13, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman:
http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/...13-Inch-Retina
-Trackpad/IF123-020

Eric Stevens:
But see: Condition: Used, fully tested Warranty: 6 month
warranty

Eric Stevens:
It's not a new one.

Sandman:
I never claimed it was, Eric.

Up till then we had been discussing new parts.

Who is "we", Eric? I wasn't discussing with you. I had discussed new parts,
but never made a promise not to mentioned used parts.

You're looking to start an argument again, Eric. Just step away before this
becomes as embarassing as all the other times for you.

--
Sandman[.net]