Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

Old November 2nd 13, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On 2013-11-02 01:44:11 +0000, PeterN said:

On 11/1/2013 7:10 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Thanks. I have a decision to make.

get the cellular/gps version.

you don't have to activate the cellular (unless you want to), and you
have all of the benefits of the gps in case you might want to use it.

the cellular is pay as you go and there's no requirement to use it.
activate whenever you need it, deactivate it when you don't. t-mobile
even offers free service.

worst case, the gps version has a higher resale value when it comes
time to sell it.

I am already have a data aplan with Verizon, and use a personal
hotspot. I know i could have used my iPhone for that, but the iPhone is
3g and the personal hotspot 4g. i also have Nav in the Lexus, with
Enform, so we get a live person for directions. the only thing we would
possible use the built in GPS for is for an app that gives sunsets,
sunrises, moon phases and locations at different times as well as high
& low tide. I forget the name of the app.

"The Photographer's Ephemeris"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...366195670?mt=8

Savageduck

Old November 2nd 13, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 16:32:53 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-11-01 23:17:12 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

The local Upper Harbour Motorway was completed several years ago and
is still shown in an early stage of earthworks in both Google Earth
and Google Maps.

So, Apple got something right in their new OSX 10.9 desktop map app.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_350.jpg

Yep, they did. But I see they have what is now a busy housing
development is marked as an airfield (it had been an airfield for
about the preious 90 years but it isn't now).

Eric Stevens
Old November 2nd 13, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 20:03:17 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

...and we are back to the issue of an ignorant user trying to navigate
with a Wi-Fi only iPad.

I'm not ignorant. or was I really trying to navigate. But for
understandable reasons my GPS equipped iPad 3 was useless for
navigation if it was not equipped with a SIM card.

that's just flat out wrong. it does not need a sim card for navigation.

*some* apps need a data connection, but there are *other* apps that do
not.

you picked the wrong app.

Yeah. I used the one which came with the iPad.

Eric Stevens
Old November 2nd 13, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 17:44:24 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-11-01 23:47:08 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 14:52:32 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

--- snip ---

...and we are back to the issue of an ignorant user trying to navigate
with a Wi-Fi only iPad.

I'm not ignorant. or was I really trying to navigate. But for
understandable reasons my GPS equipped iPad 3 was useless for
navigation if it was not equipped with a SIM card.

--- snip ---

Strange??

It seems that you have jumped into this particular sub-thread with
Peter, no spam, & me, when we weren't even discussing your particular
iPad navigation problem. My use of "ignorant" was not in the general
sense, it was to address those ignorant of the GPS features and
capabilities of the iPad.

If you bought your iPad with the intent of having the potential to use
it as a navigation tool, then two things should have happened at the
time of purchase;
1. You should have researched the features you would need so as to
optimize and utilize the navigation/GPS potential of the iPad. that
includes asking what you would need at the point of sale.
2. Your sales person should have been able to provide you with this
information and let you know to obtain continuous mapping you would
have to have an active data connection, Wi-Fi or cell, or you would
have to have a GPS app which would function with earlier downloaded
maps for off-line use.

But I didn't buy it with that intention.

If you made the assumption that merely adding a GPS app to a Wi-Fi only
iPad would provide full GPS capability, you would have been wrong.
If, as you have indicated above that you knew you required a Wi-Fi+Cell
iPad to navigate using a GPS app ( they come with a GPS & GLONASS
receiver) and will, or should be able to provide GPS coordinates.
However, as you have discovered as data source is needed to provide
fresh maps as you move on your journey.

Exactly.

To do that you have to have
some way of connecting to the internet, either from a Wi-Fi connection
or Hotspot, or a cellular data service. If you have neither close at
hand, you will not have fresh maps, but you should have the location
coordinates. If you have a simple compass app for either the iPhone, or
iPad, it will provide location coordinates, but not the detailed map
information you might expect from a GPS.

So, it seems you learned something about the way your particular iPad
deals with GPS and navigation without access to a cellular data plan,
and for that you are a little less ignorant on that subject.

I've never needed to use it for navigation since.

Eric Stevens
Old November 2nd 13, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-02 01:46:59 +0000, PeterN said:

On 11/1/2013 6:55 PM, nospam wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

The Wi-Fi only iPad only has a digital compass on board, no GPS
circuitry & and no cell assisted GPS. Adding a GPS app is not going to
help in anyway.

apps don't 'use the gps'. they request location at a certain accuracy.

wifi ipads and ipod touches can provide street level accuracy without a
gps if they're near a wifi network.

Are you saying that I can tether the iPad (none cell version,) to my
personal hotspot?

Yes.
However, the Wi-Fi only iPad is still going to have some (many)
limitations when it comes to GPS/nav as it does not have a GPS receiver.
Personally, I would still buy the Wi-Fi+Cellular version even if you
never use a cellular data plan. In the time I have had my iPad I have
not bought a block of a cellular data plan. I have used my iPhone's
Personal Hotspot and other Wi-Fi access when away from my home network.
It is just good to know that I have easy access to a couple of Gigs
whenever I need it, and my iPad is fully configured as far as GPS goes.

Savageduck

Old November 2nd 13, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 20:11:48 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It's clear to me what usually happens. You start of with a single
specific (and often quite narrow) thought in your mind and dash of a
burst of words to encompass it.

Unfortunately the burst of words is often not sufficiently precise and
is open to genuine misinterpretation by others. From this point the
argument can head off in two different directions.

if you are confused by what i (or anyone else for that matter) writes,
ask for clarification.

People don't know tey are confused (if that is what it is) until they
discover they have taken a different meaning from the one you have
intended. The arguing usually starts at this point.

do not assume something that was not written.

Do not write something that was not intended. In other words, write
with precision.

given two directions, statistically half the time you will be wrong,
and if history is any guide, you guess wrong more than you guess right.

With a little flexibility it would be possible for you to rephrase
your original burst of words and we could all get back on the same
track. However, what usually happens is you end up accusing people
of 'twisting and distorting' what you originally wrote when in fact
all they are doing is latching onto a possible meaning other than that
you intended. 'The battery outlasting the computer' (or whatever it
was) is a classic example.

when someone says something i did not write, then yes, it is twisting.

if you are not sure what something means, ask.

You asked for it. :-)

Eric Stevens
Old November 2nd 13, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-11-02 02:04:02 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 20:03:17 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

...and we are back to the issue of an ignorant user trying to navigate
with a Wi-Fi only iPad.

I'm not ignorant. or was I really trying to navigate. But for
understandable reasons my GPS equipped iPad 3 was useless for
navigation if it was not equipped with a SIM card.

that's just flat out wrong. it does not need a sim card for navigation.

*some* apps need a data connection, but there are *other* apps that do
not.

you picked the wrong app.

Yeah. I used the one which came with the iPad.

What GPS app comes with the iPad?
....or are you talking about the Apple Maps App?

Savageduck

Old November 2nd 13, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I am not sure that is the app that my friend has. he said he paid about
10.99, so that is why I think it may be a different app. I will ask him
tomorrow night. We are going for a shoot of the sunset behind the Statue
of Liberty, and a moonset just to the side.

--
PeterN
Old November 2nd 13, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 20:19:38 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"Outlasts" was the wrong word to use. It misled. It did *not*
provide clear meaning. No amount of twisting around will convince
anyone that the meaning intended was clear. You cannot "interprete"
[sic] it to be a clear declaration of what the actual meaning was
supposed to be.

outlast is a perfectly valid word to use. you're arguing for the sake
of arguing.

Yes, but it encompasses all kinds of possible reasons why it should
'outlast'. You only meant one.

it's very obvious from context what is meant, but if you are confused,
ask for clarification.

The problem arose from the fact that at the time people didn't realise
they were confused - confused in the sense they took something other
than what you intended from your words. This only become apparent
later.

Eric Stevens
Old November 2nd 13, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I am already have a data aplan with Verizon, and use a personal hotspot.
I know i could have used my iPhone for that, but the iPhone is 3g and
the personal hotspot 4g. i also have Nav in the Lexus, with Enform, so
we get a live person for directions.

verizon can add the ipad to your plan, or you can set up a separate pay
go plan for just the ipad, activating when needed.

which is better depends on your usage patterns.

you can also use the ipad with your hotspot but that's a lot less
convenient.

the only thing we would possible
use the built in GPS for is for an app that gives sunsets, sunrises,
moon phases and locations at different times as well as high & low tide.
I forget the name of the app.

gps isn't needed for that.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/

there are other websites that do that too.

there are plenty of apps that do the same thing, probably by querying
one of the various websites.