Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

Old October 29th 13, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:41:41 -0400, PeterN

On 2013-10-28 23:26:05 +0000, Sandman said:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

power and better economy.

And all the emissions out of someone elses stack or reactor.

Eric thinks electricity can't be produced emission-free.

Not in the quantities required to shift a major part of land transport
to electrity it can't. Unless you think you know something.

I already knew you were clueless, Eric.

100 years ago, there weren't enough oil refineries to produce gas for 1
billion cars either.

I'm not so clueless that I can't follow the question.

Yes, you are.

My point was about emissions, not the availability of power
generation.

Electricity can be generated emission-free. Electricity can be generated
emission-free to the extent it is needed and paid for.

Can be, but unfortunately isn't.

Comparing electricity availability *now* to when all cars are electric,
which is not tomorrow, is idiotic.

When and if consumers need electricity to power 1 billion cars,
electricity
generation will have ramped up to meet that demand, be it solar, wind,
water or fusion power.

Unfortunately Hydro, and Solar are not universal power generation
sources and have a long way to go to meet current demand let alone
future demand. Even nuclear power (which has its own waste issues) does
not cover all of the current demand, the bulk of which is still carried
by coal and natural gas burning power plant.

Bet you didn't intend that pun. ;-)

Many of the developing nations, with an emphasis on China, are burning
coal and gasoline at an unprecedented rate with corresponding elevated
pollution.

Every application to set up a wind generator is met with loud nays and
horse laughs from the NIMBYS.

And the people who know the true financial costs.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

Yeah, not even an apology, not even an HINT at the fact that he's been 100%
incorrect the entire time.

OK, what's your meaning here? How many days do I have to go back to
find out what you mean?

If you claim I mean something and I deny it, you should accept that as you
being wrong about what I mean. If you want to insist on being right you
have to make sure I haven't said something in the past that made my meaning
clear or you end up looking like the fool you look like right now.

Or, are you saying that it's a fact that he's been 100% incorrect the
entire time?

How illiterate are you? Seriously.

You see how important is to say what you mean and not make some
blundering statement that is either the opposite of what you mean or
conveys an idea that is not what you mean?

Only, nospam didn't do any of that. You are a troll and you will find
argument in anything. That's what has happened here. A normal person would
have accepted LONG ago that he was mistaken. NOt Tony though, he can't be
wrong! nospam must be wrong, regardless of what kind of clarifications he's
made - wrong wrong wrong!

Pathetic and predictable.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 29th 13, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 29 Oct 2013 07:13:24 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article 2013102817302839733-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Electricity can be generated emission-free. Electricity can be generated
emission-free to the extent it is needed and paid for.

Can be, but unfortunately isn't.

Isn't produced emission-free or isn't produced to the extent it is needed
for?

Comparing electricity availability *now* to when all cars are electric,
which is not tomorrow, is idiotic.

When and if consumers need electricity to power 1 billion cars, electricity
generation will have ramped up to meet that demand, be it solar, wind,
water or fusion power.

Unfortunately Hydro, and Solar are not universal power generation
sources and have a long way to go to meet current demand let alone
future demand.

Absolutely - and "future demand" is a long time away

We won't go emission-free anytime soon, of course. But when 1 billion cars
are electric cars, I think we're forced to do so at a greater degree.

1 billion hydrogen fueled cars would be more practical.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Gas will be the major source of energy for the forseeable future.
Solar is falling by the wayside. Both wind and solar need alternate
backup power sources for when the wind isn't blowing or the sun isn't
shining. Wind is a competitive power source only with large subsidies.
Water is limited and people are scrapping over water supplies in many
parts of the world. Fusion power may eventuate some day but emission
free it is not.

none of those will be the future.

what will be the future are a new type of battery that will allow power
stations to distribute their loads rather than be able to manage peak.
Old October 29th 13, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:11:51 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 18:32:26 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

Why is reading and understanding English such a choir for Tony?

The English expert sings.

Are you saying the tenor of Jonas' posts is off-key?

Although he tries to be sharp he often falls flat.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid stateApple shouldrightfully charge

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 22:19:51 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Take it
to the Apple Store or a certified partner and they will fix it for you.

yep.

they'll even explain how to do something. it doesn't have to be
broken.

if you want to know how to sync music to an iphone, take your laptop
and iphone to an apple store and they'll show you how, even if the
laptop is a windows laptop.

Yu give the impression that service is free. It isn't.

wrong. it is absolutely free.

This is that old argument about the "free" phone.

nonsense.

stop talking out your ass. you just look stupid.

there is no 2 year contract as with a 'free' phone.

The anticipated
cost of service is built into the selling price. Eliminate the
service function, and you have reduced cost and increased
profitability. Or, you can lower the selling price of the unit.

except apple's products are priced competitively and they even offer
assistance on products they don't sell.

other companies would say 'you need to talk to xyz' or whatever.

in fact, there is no charge if you don't have *any* product and just
want to ask questions. they might not particularly like that when other
people are waiting with actual problems to solve, but there is no
penalty for doing so.

it really is free.

TANSTAFL

They don't, though, because they know that the service function is
required to maintain market position. There's a cost involved,
though. It's just not a billed cost at time of delivery. The cost
was passed on at the time of purchase.

yet other companies charge similar prices, sometimes more, and without
such service.

in other words, wrong.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 05:24:36 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

people *think* they want to be able to open up their computers, but at
the end of the day, they don't actually do it and apple knows this.

That's quite true but if would-be purchasers knew the likely
difficulty of replacing batteries they would shy away in droves.

no they won't. it isn't anything that matters to them.

it only matters to tinkerers, which is a tiny percentage of customers.

It doesn't matter wheher or not they actually would experience battery
trouble. The fear and the uncertainty could be mightily disconcerting.

sales show that to not be the case.

How many buyers actually know the problem of replacing the battery. I
suspect that if you asked them they would tellyou that they think it
was a straightforward task. But glued in? No way!

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 29 Oct 2013 09:41:05 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

people *think* they want to be able to open up their computers, but at
the end of the day, they don't actually do it and apple knows this.

That's quite true but if would-be purchasers knew the likely
difficulty of replacing batteries they would shy away in droves.

Sigh. No, they wouldn't. And no, they aren't. Apple is selling laptops like
crazy and have made user servicable harder for each generation.

People *does not care*.

See my answer to nospam.

It doesn't matter wheher or not they actually would experience battery
trouble. The fear and the uncertainty could be mightily disconcerting.

Of course not.

Batteries have been around for long enough to have acquainted people
with their short and finite life. It's going to be few years before
they learn otherwise.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 09:53:05 +0000, David Taylor
wrote:

On 29/10/2013 08:54, Eric Stevens wrote:
[]
That's quite true but if would-be purchasers knew the likely
difficulty of replacing batteries they would shy away in droves. It
doesn't matter wheher or not they actually would experience battery
trouble. The fear and the uncertainty could be mightily disconcerting.

If the battery last 3, 4 or 5 years, the typical purchaser would likely
consider just buying new, as there would be significantly improved
features in that time, and they may be used to changing mobile phones
every couple of years in any case.

Heck, we, likely do something similar with our cameras (keeping this on
the group's charter) using any excuse to buy a more recent model!

That's true for some. But then there is the case of my daughters 10
year old Apple lap top which was only replaced after it had a cup of
coffee spilled into it while it was running. Many people would rather
keep their familiar ancient machine with its familiar ancient software
running.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 13, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/29/2013 4:58 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Do you have inside information about Apple, that most of us don't. just
wondering how you know so much about Apple's business strategy.

i pay attention to the tech industry, which includes apple.

you don't, so you don't know what they do or why.

Does that mean all tech companies are the same?

how do you get that from what i write???

Simple English. I asked whether you had inside information about Apple.
Your response that you pay attention to the tech industry carries a
strong implication, either that all tech industry companies are the
same, or you have no Apple specific knowledge and for some reason are
trying to twist out of giving a direct answer. Since you never twist, I
simply assumed the former.

is english not your native language either?

I pay a lot of attention to many things. My ability to understand trends
and management abilities, has made me some money.

--
PeterN