Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

Old November 5th 13, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On 5 Nov 2013 09:32:34 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

1. That post is from 28 october, as a reply to the above
mentioned post. it comes AFTER that post.

2. That post is not from me.

This was a mistake. It was "nospam" who ... ... quoted from a
URL

This too was a mistake. The date of the article was 27 Oct.

Sandman:
Huh? You are replying to a post of mine where I am pointing to two
of your errors and then you say I missed those errors? What are
you on about?

Two different errors ...

So you made four errors? I don't see the difference, quoted above. Mine are
labeled 1 and 2, they concern who wrote the post and the date of the
post.

Below are your stated errors, which apart from containing another error (it
was the 28th, ...

Look at the message header.

... not the 27th) are in relation to the same two errors you
made. I just don't understand why you would reply to my post and outline
the same errors again?

Where you already admitted to your mistake - without trying to
make it seem like I had "missed" something.

I told you my news group files were in a mess.

BUt you still replied to the same post twice. And you still repeated the
summary of the errors in the post you were replying to. Something is in a
mess here...

And I've just received 40 'new' articles about the best way to index
photographs - dating from the middle of August. If you don't realise
its not really new its quite easy to respond to an article a second
time.

Eric Stevens
Old November 13th 13, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

On 10/30/2013 3:43 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 29 Oct 2013 09:49:50 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:
It may be a mistake if it happens once or twice. Tony does this twenty
times a day, willingly. At some point there is no other answer than it's
intentional misinformation.

I don't read it that way.

How you "read" something is of no concern to me.

But you in the past have been not at all pure.

"pure"? Not sure I think even you yourself know what you mean here.

I will explain shortly. My efforts have been interupted by the need
for a surgeon to remove a skin cancer.

edited for brevity

You've mentioned such health issues before, Eric. How are things going?

John
Old November 14th 13, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:
It may be a mistake if it happens once or twice. Tony does this twenty
times a day, willingly. At some point there is no other answer than it's
intentional misinformation.

I don't read it that way.

How you "read" something is of no concern to me.

But you in the past have been not at all pure.

"pure"? Not sure I think even you yourself know what you mean here.

I will explain shortly. My efforts have been interupted by the need
for a surgeon to remove a skin cancer.

edited for brevity

You've mentioned such health issues before, Eric. How are things going?

For more than twenty years my skin has been periodically sprouting
relatively harmless skin cancers (basal and squamous cell carcinomas
(BCC and SCC)). These have had to have been removed by various
surgical techniques. More recently my legs below the knee have been
sprouting them like daisies in a lawn. Cryosurgery (blasting them with
liquid nitrogen) has dealt with many but periodically one gets to the
stage where it has to be cut out. Several of these have required skin
grafts which initially lay me up for weeks at a time and subsequently
limit my mobility for several more weeks. I'm due for another bout of
leg surgery in a week. I expect that in some three months they will
switch their attention from my right leg to my left .... :-(

The surgery the other week was the removal of a BCC from my nose. I
have another one to remove, probably after Christmas.

Not only do I have the wrong kind of skin but I spent too much of my
youth working in the sun.

Eric Stevens
Old November 15th 13, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

wrote:
[...]

Well, I hope you get better. I had my right parotid gland removed, in
April of 1992. It contained a tumor and I needed follow-up radiation
treatment; the cancer hasn't returned, fortunately.

John
Old November 15th 13, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:
[...]

That's good to hear. So far, mine have been much less hazardous than
that.

Eric Stevens
Old November 16th 13, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DanP

On Saturday, 26 October 2013 02:43:37 UTC+1, J. Clarke wrote:

Contrast that to the Lenovo Thinkpads, which have icons on every screw
hole showing what the screws secure, and a mark showing how long the
screw is that goes into that hole. It's like they _want_ people to work
inside their machines.

I have bough recently a Lenovo "all in one" B540.
The back panels don't have screws and slide open to give access to HDD and memory. No screws on HDD either. I will replace the CPU at one point, mine is an i3.

DanP
Old November 16th 13, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DanP

On Saturday, 26 October 2013 05:57:47 UTC+1, RichA wrote:

Some people like the ability to add new memory. What's Apple charging these days, $500 a gig?

I have looked at building a system capable of running OSX, search for Hackintosh. Some configurations cost close to what Apple charge for the equivalent.

If you want a top end laptop to match one of Apple's it will cost you the same.

DanP
Old November 16th 13, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 11/15/2013 6:42 PM, DanP wrote:
On Saturday, 26 October 2013 02:43:37 UTC+1, J. Clarke wrote:

Contrast that to the Lenovo Thinkpads, which have icons on every screw
hole showing what the screws secure, and a mark showing how long the
screw is that goes into that hole. It's like they _want_ people to work
inside their machines.

I have bough recently a Lenovo "all in one" B540.
The back panels don't have screws and slide open to give access to HDD and memory. No screws on HDD either. I will replace the CPU at one point, mine is an i3.

DanP

Before you do that, make sure that the replacement CPU is compatible
with the motherboard. And tht you have the correct drivers. I don't know
whch you may need, but I think those are items to be checked out.

--
PeterN
Old November 16th 13, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article ,
DanP wrote:

On Saturday, 26 October 2013 05:57:47 UTC+1, RichA wrote:

Some people like the ability to add new memory. What's Apple charging
these days, $500 a gig?

I have looked at building a system capable of running OSX, search for
Hackintosh. Some configurations cost close to what Apple charge for the
equivalent.

If you want a top end laptop to match one of Apple's it will cost you the same.

DanP

Actually, I just checked the most common iMac configuration, and it's
$25 per gig. It's high-ish; always has been. But not a deal-breaker.
Yes, it would be nice if the computers were more configurable, but
given the target market, again not a deal breaker.

Some time ago, I set out to buy or configure a Windows computer the
equivalent in quality and configuration of the "expensive" $2500
MacPro. I quickly discovered it wasn't possible. Even as simple as the
case simply couldn't be purchased at any price. Internal components
were easier, but to duplicate the same features made the price really
ratchet up. When I was done... I'd spent the $2500. Adding software to
match the bundled stuff from Apple would have pushed it well past.

In laptops, I have a small but steady stream of customers who purchase
MacBook Pro's and run Windows on them. They need some piece of
Windows-specific software, but want the build quality and performance
of the Apple product. And, using software supplied by Apple, they can
dual-boot: Hold down a key to select which OS you want to boot. Best of
both worlds!