A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1031  
Old November 5th 13, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,469
Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On 5 Nov 2013 09:32:34 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

1. That post is from 28 october, as a reply to the above
mentioned post. it comes AFTER that post.


2. That post is not from me.



This was a mistake. It was "nospam" who ... ... quoted from a
URL


This too was a mistake. The date of the article was 27 Oct.




Sandman:
Huh? You are replying to a post of mine where I am pointing to two
of your errors and then you say I missed those errors? What are
you on about?


Two different errors ...


So you made four errors? I don't see the difference, quoted above. Mine are
labeled 1 and 2, they concern who wrote the post and the date of the
post.

Below are your stated errors, which apart from containing another error (it
was the 28th, ...


Look at the message header.

... not the 27th) are in relation to the same two errors you
made. I just don't understand why you would reply to my post and outline
the same errors again?

Where you already admitted to your mistake - without trying to
make it seem like I had "missed" something.


I told you my news group files were in a mess.


BUt you still replied to the same post twice. And you still repeated the
summary of the errors in the post you were replying to. Something is in a
mess here...


And I've just received 40 'new' articles about the best way to index
photographs - dating from the middle of August. If you don't realise
its not really new its quite easy to respond to an article a second
time.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #1032  
Old November 13th 13, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,429
Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On 10/30/2013 3:43 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 29 Oct 2013 09:49:50 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:
It may be a mistake if it happens once or twice. Tony does this twenty
times a day, willingly. At some point there is no other answer than it's
intentional misinformation.

I don't read it that way.


How you "read" something is of no concern to me.

But you in the past have been not at all pure.


"pure"? Not sure I think even you yourself know what you mean here.


I will explain shortly. My efforts have been interupted by the need
for a surgeon to remove a skin cancer.


edited for brevity

You've mentioned such health issues before, Eric. How are things going?

John
  #1033  
Old November 14th 13, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,469
Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 16:21:58 -0600, John Turco
wrote:

On 10/30/2013 3:43 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 29 Oct 2013 09:49:50 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:
It may be a mistake if it happens once or twice. Tony does this twenty
times a day, willingly. At some point there is no other answer than it's
intentional misinformation.

I don't read it that way.

How you "read" something is of no concern to me.

But you in the past have been not at all pure.

"pure"? Not sure I think even you yourself know what you mean here.


I will explain shortly. My efforts have been interupted by the need
for a surgeon to remove a skin cancer.


edited for brevity

You've mentioned such health issues before, Eric. How are things going?

For more than twenty years my skin has been periodically sprouting
relatively harmless skin cancers (basal and squamous cell carcinomas
(BCC and SCC)). These have had to have been removed by various
surgical techniques. More recently my legs below the knee have been
sprouting them like daisies in a lawn. Cryosurgery (blasting them with
liquid nitrogen) has dealt with many but periodically one gets to the
stage where it has to be cut out. Several of these have required skin
grafts which initially lay me up for weeks at a time and subsequently
limit my mobility for several more weeks. I'm due for another bout of
leg surgery in a week. I expect that in some three months they will
switch their attention from my right leg to my left .... :-(

The surgery the other week was the removal of a BCC from my nose. I
have another one to remove, probably after Christmas.

Not only do I have the wrong kind of skin but I spent too much of my
youth working in the sun.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #1034  
Old November 15th 13, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,429
Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On 11/13/2013 9:07 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 16:21:58 -0600, John Turco
wrote:

On 10/30/2013 3:43 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 29 Oct 2013 09:49:50 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:
It may be a mistake if it happens once or twice. Tony does this twenty
times a day, willingly. At some point there is no other answer than it's
intentional misinformation.

I don't read it that way.

How you "read" something is of no concern to me.

But you in the past have been not at all pure.

"pure"? Not sure I think even you yourself know what you mean here.

I will explain shortly. My efforts have been interupted by the need
for a surgeon to remove a skin cancer.


edited for brevity

You've mentioned such health issues before, Eric. How are things going?

For more than twenty years my skin has been periodically sprouting
relatively harmless skin cancers (basal and squamous cell carcinomas
(BCC and SCC)). These have had to have been removed by various
surgical techniques. More recently my legs below the knee have been
sprouting them like daisies in a lawn. Cryosurgery (blasting them with
liquid nitrogen) has dealt with many but periodically one gets to the
stage where it has to be cut out. Several of these have required skin
grafts which initially lay me up for weeks at a time and subsequently
limit my mobility for several more weeks. I'm due for another bout of
leg surgery in a week. I expect that in some three months they will
switch their attention from my right leg to my left .... :-(

The surgery the other week was the removal of a BCC from my nose. I
have another one to remove, probably after Christmas.

Not only do I have the wrong kind of skin but I spent too much of my
youth working in the sun.



Well, I hope you get better. I had my right parotid gland removed, in
April of 1992. It contained a tumor and I needed follow-up radiation
treatment; the cancer hasn't returned, fortunately.

John
  #1035  
Old November 15th 13, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,469
Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:25:46 -0600, John Turco
wrote:

On 11/13/2013 9:07 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 16:21:58 -0600, John Turco
wrote:

On 10/30/2013 3:43 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 29 Oct 2013 09:49:50 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:
It may be a mistake if it happens once or twice. Tony does this twenty
times a day, willingly. At some point there is no other answer than it's
intentional misinformation.

I don't read it that way.

How you "read" something is of no concern to me.

But you in the past have been not at all pure.

"pure"? Not sure I think even you yourself know what you mean here.

I will explain shortly. My efforts have been interupted by the need
for a surgeon to remove a skin cancer.

edited for brevity

You've mentioned such health issues before, Eric. How are things going?

For more than twenty years my skin has been periodically sprouting
relatively harmless skin cancers (basal and squamous cell carcinomas
(BCC and SCC)). These have had to have been removed by various
surgical techniques. More recently my legs below the knee have been
sprouting them like daisies in a lawn. Cryosurgery (blasting them with
liquid nitrogen) has dealt with many but periodically one gets to the
stage where it has to be cut out. Several of these have required skin
grafts which initially lay me up for weeks at a time and subsequently
limit my mobility for several more weeks. I'm due for another bout of
leg surgery in a week. I expect that in some three months they will
switch their attention from my right leg to my left .... :-(

The surgery the other week was the removal of a BCC from my nose. I
have another one to remove, probably after Christmas.

Not only do I have the wrong kind of skin but I spent too much of my
youth working in the sun.



Well, I hope you get better. I had my right parotid gland removed, in
April of 1992. It contained a tumor and I needed follow-up radiation
treatment; the cancer hasn't returned, fortunately.

That's good to hear. So far, mine have been much less hazardous than
that.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #1036  
Old November 16th 13, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DanP
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 90
Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On Saturday, 26 October 2013 02:43:37 UTC+1, J. Clarke wrote:

Contrast that to the Lenovo Thinkpads, which have icons on every screw
hole showing what the screws secure, and a mark showing how long the
screw is that goes into that hole. It's like they _want_ people to work
inside their machines.


I have bough recently a Lenovo "all in one" B540.
The back panels don't have screws and slide open to give access to HDD and memory. No screws on HDD either. I will replace the CPU at one point, mine is an i3.

DanP
  #1037  
Old November 16th 13, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DanP
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 90
Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On Saturday, 26 October 2013 05:57:47 UTC+1, RichA wrote:

Some people like the ability to add new memory. What's Apple charging these days, $500 a gig?


I have looked at building a system capable of running OSX, search for Hackintosh. Some configurations cost close to what Apple charge for the equivalent.

If you want a top end laptop to match one of Apple's it will cost you the same.


DanP
  #1038  
Old November 16th 13, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,246
Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

On 11/15/2013 6:42 PM, DanP wrote:
On Saturday, 26 October 2013 02:43:37 UTC+1, J. Clarke wrote:

Contrast that to the Lenovo Thinkpads, which have icons on every screw
hole showing what the screws secure, and a mark showing how long the
screw is that goes into that hole. It's like they _want_ people to work
inside their machines.


I have bough recently a Lenovo "all in one" B540.
The back panels don't have screws and slide open to give access to HDD and memory. No screws on HDD either. I will replace the CPU at one point, mine is an i3.

DanP


Before you do that, make sure that the replacement CPU is compatible
with the motherboard. And tht you have the correct drivers. I don't know
whch you may need, but I think those are items to be checked out.

--
PeterN
  #1039  
Old November 16th 13, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 337
Default Apple gives a new meaning to solid state.

In article ,
DanP wrote:

On Saturday, 26 October 2013 05:57:47 UTC+1, RichA wrote:

Some people like the ability to add new memory. What's Apple charging
these days, $500 a gig?


I have looked at building a system capable of running OSX, search for
Hackintosh. Some configurations cost close to what Apple charge for the
equivalent.

If you want a top end laptop to match one of Apple's it will cost you the same.


DanP


Actually, I just checked the most common iMac configuration, and it's
$25 per gig. It's high-ish; always has been. But not a deal-breaker.
Yes, it would be nice if the computers were more configurable, but
given the target market, again not a deal breaker.

Some time ago, I set out to buy or configure a Windows computer the
equivalent in quality and configuration of the "expensive" $2500
MacPro. I quickly discovered it wasn't possible. Even as simple as the
case simply couldn't be purchased at any price. Internal components
were easier, but to duplicate the same features made the price really
ratchet up. When I was done... I'd spent the $2500. Adding software to
match the bundled stuff from Apple would have pushed it well past.

In laptops, I have a small but steady stream of customers who purchase
MacBook Pro's and run Windows on them. They need some piece of
Windows-specific software, but want the build quality and performance
of the Apple product. And, using software supplied by Apple, they can
dual-boot: Hold down a key to select which OS you want to boot. Best of
both worlds!
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple brings the nanny state to the computer world Mayayana Digital Photography 29 February 8th 13 02:01 AM
How durable are solid state readers/writers? Mike Henley Digital Photography 6 April 3rd 06 03:12 AM
Film vs. Digital reminds me of the Tube vs. Solid State debate in audio circles Monte Castleman 35mm Photo Equipment 24 July 28th 04 07:52 PM
Film vs. Digital reminds me of the Tube vs. Solid State debate in audio circles Justin Thyme 35mm Photo Equipment 7 July 25th 04 04:18 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.