what accesory do i need for this flashlight

Old March 21st 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

Default what accesory do i need for this flashlight

hi,

i am about to put my Metz CL-1 flashlight away from my Rolleiflex 3.5
camera, just in the halfway to the subject. so the PC cord are too
short to use. i think i can buy a slave and have it connected to the
Metz CL-1, but what i need to trigger the slave? i don't want to buy
another flashlight and in some cases i only want single sorce of
light.

ps. i see in ebay, there are some coiled cord for Metz CT-1, do you
folks know if they suit my Metz CL-1?

thanks.

-
woody

Old March 21st 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould

Recently, Steven Woody posted:

hi,

i am about to put my Metz CL-1 flashlight away from my Rolleiflex 3.5
camera, just in the halfway to the subject. so the PC cord are too
short to use. i think i can buy a slave and have it connected to the
Metz CL-1, but what i need to trigger the slave? i don't want to buy
another flashlight and in some cases i only want single sorce of
light.

If I understand your question correctly, there are flashes that have
built-in slave triggers (some Metz models, for example). You could also
buy a slave trigger, which is a sensor that attaches to the hot shoe of
the slave flash. The last time I bought one of those it cost around $15
US.

Regards,

Neil

Old March 21st 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

On 3ÔÂ21ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç8ʱ17·Ö, "Neil Gould" wrote:
Recently, Steven Woody posted:

hi,

i am about to put my Metz CL-1 flashlight away from my Rolleiflex 3.5
camera, just in the halfway to the subject. so the PC cord are too
short to use. i think i can buy a slave and have it connected to the
Metz CL-1, but what i need to trigger the slave? i don't want to buy
another flashlight and in some cases i only want single sorce of
light.

If I understand your question correctly, there are flashes that have
built-in slave triggers (some Metz models, for example). You could also
buy a slave trigger, which is a sensor that attaches to the hot shoe of
the slave flash. The last time I bought one of those it cost around $15
US.

Regards,

Neil

sorry, i dont get the point. i just want sth. to trigger the metz
CL-1, and i hope it is not a flashlight. is there anything such as a
dedicated trigger?

Old March 21st 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Fred Leif

Depending on the distance, why not just use a pc cord extension? Coiled
ones may put too much tension on the system ...

oups.com...

Old March 21st 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould

[...]

Sorry, it seems that I did misunderstand your question... I thought you
wanted a slave flash.

If all you want to do is connect a longer sync cord between your CL-1 and
Rollei, choose one of the cables from the Metz site:

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...er.144-84.html

Regards,

Neil

Old March 22nd 07, 09:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

On Mar 22, 2:01 am, "Neil Gould" wrote:
[...]

thanks for your inputs. and, i still want to ask:

1, i see some sales on ebay of long cords for CT-1, and does a CT-1
cords suits CL-1 too? as far as i know, CT-1 and CT-2 get different
trigger volt.

2, in additional to using a long cord, is there any other solution?
you know, sometimes using a long cord is not very convenient. so i am
imaging that is there a small device which can attached on my
Rolleiflex's PC port and trigger ( wirelessly ) a remote receiver
which is connected to my Metz 45 CL-1? is there such an accesory?

thanks.

-
woody

Old March 22nd 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould

Recently, Steven Woody posted:

On Mar 22, 2:01 am, "Neil Gould" wrote:

Sorry, it seems that I did misunderstand your question... I thought
you wanted a slave flash.

If all you want to do is connect a longer sync cord between your
CL-1 and Rollei, choose one of the cables from the Metz site:

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...er.144-84.html

Regards,

Neil

thanks for your inputs. and, i still want to ask:

1, i see some sales on ebay of long cords for CT-1, and does a CT-1
cords suits CL-1 too? as far as i know, CT-1 and CT-2 get different
trigger volt.

I don't know. I don't think trigger voltage would be the main issue, but
whether the pin-outs of the two connectors are the same. I wouldn't think
that any difference in price would be worth the gamble.

2, in additional to using a long cord, is there any other solution?
you know, sometimes using a long cord is not very convenient. so i am
imaging that is there a small device which can attached on my
Rolleiflex's PC port and trigger ( wirelessly ) a remote receiver
which is connected to my Metz 45 CL-1? is there such an accesory?

Such items do exist... I use them with my studio lighting. But, you may be
faced with the problem that the Metz needs a special connector to use the
receiver.

Neil

Old March 22nd 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
darkroommike

Woody, I see three ways to trigger your Metz flash:

1. Long extension flash cord, this would have a male PC-tip
on one end and a female PC-tip on the other. The setup
would then be: cameraextension cordMetz cordflash. Not
very technical but cheap extension cords fail frequently and
you have three places where the flash connection can
disconnect (usually at the worst moment).

2. Use a optical slave connected to the flash and a small
flash unit on camera to trigger it. The small flash does
not need to be pointed at the subject (I bounce mine
straight up) but the small amount of fill light it affords
when pointing at the subject is occasionally useful.
Vivitar used to make an IR emitting trigger flash but you
could rig on of your own using a couple of pieces of dark
blank processed Ektachrome to filter out the visible light
from your trigger flash, most slaves are sensitive to IR
unless they have blue filtration on them one brand does use
a blue filter since they were so sensitive to IR that police
car strobing lights would trigger them.

3. Use a radio trigger, there are both cheap, short range
units and more expensive multi-channel long range systems
(one brand is Pocket Wizard or something like that).

BTW the 45-CT1 and the 45-CL1 use different flash cords.
And the CT1 has a much higher trigger voltage.

darkroommike

Old March 22nd 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

On 3ÔÂ22ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç6ʱ32·Ö, "Neil Gould" wrote:
Recently, Steven Woody posted:

On Mar 22, 2:01 am, "Neil Gould" wrote:

Sorry, it seems that I did misunderstand your question... I thought
you wanted a slave flash.

If all you want to do is connect a longer sync cord between your
CL-1 and Rollei, choose one of the cables from the Metz site:

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...er.144-84.html

Regards,

Neil

thanks for your inputs. and, i still want to ask:

1, i see some sales on ebay of long cords for CT-1, and does a CT-1
cords suits CL-1 too? as far as i know, CT-1 and CT-2 get different
trigger volt.

I don't know. I don't think trigger voltage would be the main issue, but
whether the pin-outs of the two connectors are the same. I wouldn't think
that any difference in price would be worth the gamble.

i also don't know the pin-outs. and, to me, it's mainly not a price
problem letting me think about buy in a CT-1 cord, it's because on
ebay i don't find CL-1 cords. i live in China, buy on ebay may be a
little easy than do it on Metz.

2, in additional to using a long cord, is there any other solution?
you know, sometimes using a long cord is not very convenient. so i am
imaging that is there a small device which can attached on my
Rolleiflex's PC port and trigger ( wirelessly ) a remote receiver
which is connected to my Metz 45 CL-1? is there such an accesory?

Such items do exist... I use them with my studio lighting. But, you may be
faced with the problem that the Metz needs a special connector to use the
receiver.

but, you know, i've already have a CL-1 cord, one end of which is a
standard PC connector, so i am thinking there may be a standard
receiver which can be connected to the PC cord. i am just not sure if
i am right and what's the name of this kind of receiver. another
problem is the trigger, which should be connected to the PC connector
of my Rolleiflex.

thanks.

Neil

Old March 22nd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Steven Woody

On 3ÔÂ22ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç10ʱ26·Ö, darkroommike wrote:
[...]

darkroommike,

thank you very much, you answer are so helpful. in the solution 2, i
don't know what's the 'darkblank processed Ektachrome', can you
explain it? and, in the solution 3, if i understand correctly, does
you mean the radio triiger won't fire light as an optical flash does?