New Sony GPS Camera Accessory

Old September 13th 06, 10:34 AM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Unspam

Default New Sony GPS Camera Accessory

kosh wrote:
Padu wrote:
"Brian Sullivan"

It sounds like other software could use the output of this device so
other cameras could be supported. Perhaps something like Picasa will
support it?

Anyone heard of any leanings in that direction?

Actually, I believe you don't need their hardware. I develop GPS based
applications, and thinking about it, if you have a tracklog recorded
in a given format (NMEA is common to most, if not all, GPS devices),
it shouldn't be difficult to write an application that goes through a
folder where your pictures are stored and match the date picture was
taken from the EXIF, and get the coordinate from the tracklog file at
that time, and write back to the EXIF.

I would create such a software easily, but I doubt that nobody thought
about it yet.

Cheers

Padu

well someone thought it was good enough to make a product!!!! Perhaps
there is something to it, though I can't imagine a LARGE numbr of people
having a requirement like this..

real estate
military
surveyors
reporters who have a large number of images and travel lots
????

Apparently it links with Google-Earth, so you can go to a spot, and then
look at the photos you took there. Not a very practical purpose, but I'm
sure if you look at who a lot of Sony's customers are (cashed up
20-somethings who like gadgets, and will buy anything so long as it says
S O N Y), that there will be quite a few who would go for such gizmos.

Quite handy if you need to bury something in the middle of a forest, desert
or snows cape and find it again.

Old September 13th 06, 01:26 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Randall Ainsworth

In article , kosh
wrote:

Sony has announced a new GPS unit for its digital cameras and camcorders
to record the position of every shot. Details are at:

And the useful purpose of this do-dad would be????
Old September 13th 06, 01:58 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Brian Sullivan

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article , kosh
wrote:

Sony has announced a new GPS unit for its digital cameras and camcorders
to record the position of every shot. Details are at:

And the useful purpose of this do-dad would be????

I thought it was obvious. Or are you just being obtuse?

It is potentially a method of automatically tagging every picture you
take with the location on earth where it was taken. I guess if you
don't want or need this information it has not much use.

Old September 13th 06, 02:06 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Paul Rubin

"Brian Sullivan" writes:
It is potentially a method of automatically tagging every picture you
take with the location on earth where it was taken.

Really just the outdoor pics, and of those, just the ones that you
took long enough after powering up the GPS for it to have acquired
signals and figured out the coordinates. This can take up to 12
minutes, depending on how long it's been since you last used the
thing.
Old September 13th 06, 02:15 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Brian Sullivan

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Brian Sullivan" writes:
It is potentially a method of automatically tagging every picture you
take with the location on earth where it was taken.

It seems though that the software that comes with it will interpolate
so that even indoor pictures can be tagged (at least approximately).

Really just the outdoor pics, and of those, just the ones that you
took long enough after powering up the GPS for it to have acquired
signals and figured out the coordinates. This can take up to 12
minutes, depending on how long it's been since you last used the
thing.

12 minutes? I didn't notice that info in the specs.The Pharos GPS I
have for my laptop usually takes max 15-30 seconds to start up and
orient itself.

Old September 13th 06, 04:12 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Paul Allen

On 13 Sep 2006 06:15:02 -0700
"Brian Sullivan" wrote:

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Brian Sullivan" writes:
It is potentially a method of automatically tagging every picture
you take with the location on earth where it was taken.

It seems though that the software that comes with it will interpolate
so that even indoor pictures can be tagged (at least approximately).

Hmmm... I'd rather have no data than a guess.

Really just the outdoor pics,

Even outdoors, the GPS system doesn't work well under trees. Foliage
is not transparent to the signals, resulting in multipath, phase
changes, and positions that can be off by miles.

and of those, just the ones that you
took long enough after powering up the GPS for it to have acquired
signals and figured out the coordinates. This can take up to 12
minutes, depending on how long it's been since you last used the
thing.

12 minutes? I didn't notice that info in the specs.The Pharos GPS I
have for my laptop usually takes max 15-30 seconds to start up and
orient itself.

Probably depends on the unit. My old Eagle Explorer gets a fix in a
couple minutes when powered on after months of sitting in a drawer,
but it's quicker if I use it more often.

Paul Allen
Old September 13th 06, 04:36 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Paul Allen

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:43:55 GMT
kosh wrote:

Padu wrote:
[...]
well someone thought it was good enough to make a product!!!! Perhaps
there is something to it, though I can't imagine a LARGE numbr of
people having a requirement like this..

real estate
military
surveyors
reporters who have a large number of images and travel lots
????

Anybody who travels and has trouble reconstructing the location of
each shot later. I just came home from the Queen Charlotte Islands
with 600 images that were mostly taken at remote Haida village sites
that haven't been occupied since the smallpox epidemics of the 1800's.
I took notes on what villages we stopped at each day, but tagging all
those images with locations later was laborious.

A technological fix for that problem is tempting, although having
more gear to lug around while clambering in and out of the Zodiac,
wading ashore onto a rocky beach, and traipsing through the mossy
woods is not. :-)

hmmmm heres an idea.... if you could photograph say... a city from
multiple anges with full GPS data including elevation..... I would
think some clever software could give you amazing 3d photogrpahic
renderings.

It would need to deal with the inherent uncertainty in the position
data. It's possible to get centimeter accuracy with really expensive
gear, but the normal handheld GPS has an uncertainty in the tens of
meters that changes constantly as the satellite constellation changes.

come to think of it, one of my customers used their camera to record
every inch of Melb. GP to make photo realistic game textures..... GPS
data would probably be pretty usefull there too!

just think aloud.... well in text!

Yeah. Let your fingers do the thinking.

Paul Allen
Old September 13th 06, 05:52 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Padu

"kosh"
well someone thought it was good enough to make a product!!!! Perhaps
there is something to it, though I can't imagine a LARGE numbr of people
having a requirement like this..

snip

An idea to be sold to the masses has to be simple enough not to require much
interaction from the user, and that's what I think it is. They sell the idea
that everything is "integrated". I'm almost getting the motivation to
research what is on the market already that works with any GPS and any EXIF
enabled camera...

hmmmm heres an idea.... if you could photograph say... a city from
multiple anges with full GPS data including elevation..... I would think
some clever software could give you amazing 3d photogrpahic renderings.

The guys from Microsoft Research labs are already doing that... I've watched
a demo of their software and it is really incredible. They use a database of
pictures taken from several different cameras from several different angles
and that is used to build a 3D model of a city.

come to think of it, one of my customers used their camera to record every
inch of Melb. GP to make photo realistic game textures..... GPS data would
probably be pretty usefull there too!

just think aloud.... well in text!

maybe it is the time (as a software developer) to develop some applications
in this area huhn? I'll think about that.

Cheers

Padu

Old September 13th 06, 05:57 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Padu

"Graham Fountain"
Apparently it links with Google-Earth, so you can go to a spot, and then
look at the photos you took there. Not a very practical purpose, but I'm
sure if you look at who a lot of Sony's customers are (cashed up
20-somethings who like gadgets, and will buy anything so long as it says S
O N Y), that there will be quite a few who would go for such gizmos.

Google earth is a revolution, they opened their API for anyone to use. One
of the consequences, for example, is smugmug. They are able to use google
earth in their webpage to show pictures of a given location.

I found it very useful. For example, before going on a recent trip to santa
barbara, calif., I took a look at the pictures/locations using
smugmug/google and I found some nice shooting locations.

The inconvenience right now is that you have to enter coordinates for each
individual picture. If there was a way to automate and include coordinates
into the exif, that service would be expanded immensely.

Cheers

Padu

Old September 13th 06, 05:58 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Padu

"Unspam"

Quite handy if you need to bury something in the middle of a forest,
desert
or snows cape and find it again.

Isn't that the concept behind geocaching?