FZ30 PR, preview, and samples

Old July 21st 05, 10:11 AM
David J Taylor

Woodchuck Bill wrote:
[]
I was almost going to buy a D50, and now this!

BTW...David, I see that the group is moving again. :-)

Yes, I'm pleased that the new camera has sparked some discussions!

An interesting dilemma - D50 or FZ30? FZ30 wide-angle limited to 24mm
with an adaptor - but that might be enough. No dust ingress problems.
Lower image noise at high ISO with the D50 - useful if you're taking
pictures in nightclubs etc., but you need to buy a good wide-aperture
lens. Image stabilisation will cost you more with the D50, and it doesn't
do movies or have live image preview on a swivel LCD.

Get the FZ30, Bill, and tell us all the inside story!

Get both, and recover the costs by writing a magazine article?

Cheers,
David

Old July 21st 05, 10:37 AM

However FZ30 still use MPJEG (MOV) as movie format which is quite
outdated. Prefer to have the MPEG4 features bundled just like the
Panasonic DV.

Old July 21st 05, 04:18 PM
irwell

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:11:28 GMT, wrote:

On 20 Jul 2005 09:44:21 -0700, "Bulldog" wrote:

Pete Fenelon wrote:
Dave Sill wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...sonic_fz30.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/panasonicfz30/

From the press release:

Blimey, it looks like a stunning camera. Does seem to be a little
noticeable noise in some of the shots, which makes me think they might've
been better going to 6MP than 8... but 8 is what the market demands I
guess - and at least it isn't an 8mp-in-the-space-of-5mp sensor... they
have enlarged it somewhat. I wonder how much of a gimmick the "extra
optical zoom" is (again, none of the sample gallery shots exploit it), but
anything that keeps you out of the realms of digital zoom is a Good Thing.

Caveat - the sample gallery also has no evening/night shots, I get rather
variable results at night with my FZ10 and I would've liked to have seen
what the 30 can do in poor light.

It looks like they've been listening to the FZ buyers, putting more
dSLR-like features into the camera - manual zoom ring, RAW mode,
higher-resolution EVF... and even a pop-out rear LCD.

Would *love* to get my hands on one just to see what it can do -- my '10
is still capable of amazing me...

pete
--
"There's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB

Looks like a stonging camera and a step forward from the FX20 which I
love to bits. Anyone have any idea of price?

Most likely a stonging price!

Fred

Wonder how this will compare with the new Samsung?
Old July 21st 05, 04:31 PM
Bill Again

wrote in message
oups.com...
However FZ30 still use MPJEG (MOV) as movie format which is quite
outdated. Prefer to have the MPEG4 features bundled just like the
Panasonic DV.

Personally I would never bother using a camera to take movies. I have a
dedicated movie camera for taking movies. I assume the manufacturers add it
to the system simply because they can.

Robert

Old July 21st 05, 04:33 PM
David J Taylor

irwell wrote:
[]
Wonder how this will compare with the new Samsung?

The new Samsung lacks image stabilisation, reducing the usefulness of its
420mm zoom lens. I'd also be interested to see how much distortion the
lens has at 28mm. To me, there's no comparison.

David

Old July 22nd 05, 12:35 AM
irwell

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:31:28 +0200, "Bill Again"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
However FZ30 still use MPJEG (MOV) as movie format which is quite
outdated. Prefer to have the MPEG4 features bundled just like the
Panasonic DV.

Personally I would never bother using a camera to take movies. I have a
dedicated movie camera for taking movies. I assume the manufacturers add it
to the system simply because they can.

Robert

The feature can come in handy, I have used it on occasion
with my little pocket Sony W1. On my FZ15 it is Video only, no sound
which seems a bit limiting.
Old July 22nd 05, 09:37 AM
P-P. Henneken

"Some" noise... I think my eyes are deceiving me. The level of noise (also
at low(er) ISO's!) is in my opinion extremely bad. Especially for a camera
at this pricepoint. The lens itself might be very good, the sensor is
obviously too small for this number of megapixels. Don't get me wrong, not
trying to start a flame here (hey, I just ordered an H1, which can't be
described as a noiseless digicam as well...), just being objective. I also
think that they should have used the 7 megapixel sensor. Okay, you lose some
resolution but you gain a lot in the image quality department. But alas, to
satisfy the market they opted for the worse. Logical, but sad.

The rest of the camera I truly adore though. Very nice lens, manual zoom and
focus, big tiltable screen, great!

P-P.

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message . uk...
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:09:39 GMT, "David J Taylor"

wrote:

Dave Sill wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...sonic_fz30.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/panasonicfz30/

Thanks for posting that, Dave. With the manual zoom and manual focus
controls, VGA movies, and swivel viewfinder it looks like a true
photographer's camera!

Cheers,
David

Any idea on noise compared to the FZ20?

Good question. What is the size of the pixel (in absolute units!)? A
bigger sensor would mean a bigger lens and a much bigger and heavier
camera (volume being proportional to linear size cubed). I did notice
that the weight had crept up from the FZ20 and the maximum lens aperture
at full zoom had crept down a little.

I looked at the sample images and there was some noise present in the
darker areas, as you would expect from an 8MP sensor of that physical
size. Whether it would be a problem an 8 x 10 print I don't know, you'd
need to print the samples out for yourself. My guess is not, providing
you stick with the lower ISO settings.

I was impressed with the lens quality on the couple of sample images I
downloaded at full resolution.

Cheers,
David