Anybody using the Epson 1280?

Old November 29th 03, 02:35 AM
Scott Fairbairn

Default Anybody using the Epson 1280?

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on problems I am having
with this printer.
1) I find that I have to way oversaturate the colour on my monitor in order
to get it to print well(to the point it almost looks absurd on the monitor).
If I print to what I think looks right on my monitor, the colour prints very
flat. I believe I have all the latest profiles and such for my
printer??............this seems to happen on glossy or matte
paper.........sometimes glossy works better , but overall I have to make it
look oversaturated on the monitor to get it to print well.

2) When I print birds like an Indigo Bunting , the blue looks very good, but
if I try to print a bird against a blue sky, the sky looks too
magenta?.........I have tried beefing up the cyan in the printer controls ,
but it still doesn't print right.

thanks

scott

Old November 29th 03, 03:30 AM
Robertwgross

Scott wrote:
I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on problems I am having
with this printer.
1) I find that I have to way oversaturate the colour on my monitor in order
to get it to print well(to the point it almost looks absurd on the monitor).
If I print to what I think looks right on my monitor, the colour prints very
flat. I believe I have all the latest profiles and such for my
printer??............this seems to happen on glossy or matte
paper.........sometimes glossy works better , but overall I have to make it
look oversaturated on the monitor to get it to print well.

2) When I print birds like an Indigo Bunting , the blue looks very good, but
if I try to print a bird against a blue sky, the sky looks too
magenta?.........I have tried beefing up the cyan in the printer controls ,
but it still doesn't print right.

It will be difficult to offer complete advice. We don't know what kind of
computer or OS you are using, and we don't know if you have attempted color
calibration on the overall system.

Let me guess, the printer test page does print out correctly, doesn't it?

---Bob Gross---
Old November 29th 03, 03:44 PM
Scott Fairbairn

I am using an HP 1.8GHz, 1gig RAM, windows xp. The test page of course looks
fine..................most prints seem to be fine except the ones with some
blue sky and of course the problem with getting the overall colour beefier.

,

Old November 29th 03, 07:23 PM
Scott Elliot

What paper and what settings are you using? If you use non-Epson brands of
paper you sometimes have to adjust the custom settings to get the prints to
come out OK.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

Old November 29th 03, 07:41 PM
Robertwgross

Scott wrote:
I am using an HP 1.8GHz, 1gig RAM, windows xp. The test page of course looks
fine..................most prints seem to be fine except the ones with some
blue sky and of course the problem with getting the overall colour beefier.

I sense from your answer that you have not attempted any color calibration of
the overall system. If you want to do that in an informal sort of way, there
are places on the web that will assist. If you want to do it formally, it costs
money for software and/or a sensor.

---Bob Gross---
Old November 30th 03, 06:24 AM
Jim Nason

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:35:53 -0500, "Scott Fairbairn"
wrote:

Not enough info...

I have the Epson 1280... it prints fine with my setup. I scan my
film using the Nikon CoolScan IV, using the Adobe RGB ColorSpace.
I developed a color profile (.ICC) for my monitor using the Monaco
EZCColor System, and I use the default ICC profile for the printer
(Epson's supplied EE151_1). I reduce the magenta slightly for Ilford
Paper and select the paper choice as indicated by the manufacturer.
I find the color matches very close.

Jim