Is there any use for film cameras anymore

Old March 15th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

Default Is there any use for film cameras anymore

"ray" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:03:00 -0400, Shawn Hirn wrote:

In article ,
Chris W wrote:

Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
use film over digital?

Sell it on eBay.

If there is no longer any use for it, who would buy it?

There may still be a demand for students -- although they may not need or
want to pay a lot. My kids do photography at school, no digital, manual SLR,
black and white only, all processed in the school darkroom. Pretty much the
way I started, so for me there's no question of relevence -- they learn to
wrestle with light the same way we all did. In their second year (I'm
talking 17 year-olds here) they get into digital through scanning their
prints, and their final portfolio can include as much digital manipulation
as they want, although by then they have a good grounding in composition and
technique. The results are amazing.

Old March 15th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:01:31 +0000, Harry Poster wrote:

On 14 Mar 2008 20:35:09 GMT, ray wrote:

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:11:07 +0000, Harry Poster wrote:

On 14 Mar 2008 16:30:36 GMT, ray wrote:

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:45:32 -0500, Chris W wrote:

Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what
do I do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is
handy to use film over digital?

Yes. Each medium has it's advantages.

Wow. What a revelation.

I'll be sure to read your future posts for more gems like this.

And... IT'S means IT IS.

... has it is advantages?

Very well, does the term 'anal retentive' ring a bell?

How about "illiterate"?

I don't know; are you?
Old March 15th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more athttp://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Ham Radio Repeater Database.http://hrrdb.com

We just hauled out all of our old cameras to decide what to do with
older ones. Some are classics- collector's items so we will save
those just as collectables.

The only film camera I actually intend to use is an old Kodak Stereo
camera. I have a negative scanner attachment for my scanner, so can
scan the developed film and set up the cards on the computer. The
alternative if I want to take 3D pics again is to buy two cheaper
digitals and mount them side-by-side with some sort of a gadget to
depress both shutters simultaneously.
Old March 15th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Chris W wrote:
Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
use film over digital?

Sure, but you'll probably want a scanner for it :-)
Old March 15th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:01:31 +0000, Harry Poster wrote:

On 14 Mar 2008 20:35:09 GMT, ray wrote:

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:11:07 +0000, Harry Poster wrote:

On 14 Mar 2008 16:30:36 GMT, ray wrote:

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:45:32 -0500, Chris W wrote:

Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what
do I do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is
handy to use film over digital?

Yes. Each medium has it's advantages.

Wow. What a revelation.

I'll be sure to read your future posts for more gems like this.

And... IT'S means IT IS.

... has it is advantages?

Very well, does the term 'anal retentive' ring a bell?

How about "illiterate"?

Awl rat - yah hav cotched me - ar yew hapi nau.
Old March 15th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave W

On 14 Mar, 04:45, Chris W wrote:
Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
do with my Nikon N90s? *Is there any application where it is handy to
use film over digital?

For taking slides to show to an audience. Digital projectors, and the
PCs to go with them, are not cheap enough yet for occasional use. TV
screens are not big enough.

Dave W
Old March 15th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Keith nuttle

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
[...]

There are some types of competitions (art shows) where the submission
will only be accepted as slides. Thats what I use my old camera for.

I suspect at sometime even these situation will be converted to digital
Old March 17th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

In message
, Doug
Jewell writes
Chris W wrote:
Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do
I do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy
to use film over digital?

Long Exposure - although film has reciprocity issues, it doesn't suffer
from noise in long exposures. Digital noise can be reduced with
dark-frame subtraction, but that doubles your exposure time, so reduces
the number of shots you can get in a session.

But you can get digital cameras with active cooling that are designed
for long exposures and they will completely blow away film. Exposures up
to a few hours are possible

Film has a blind wavelength spot in the green (safelight colour) which
is why old slide photographs of astronomical nebulae were always red,
pink and blue despite the brightest ones looking visually green.

Ultra Wide Angle (If you already have a sub 20mm lens, and you don't do
a lot of ultrawide angle, scanning 35mm frames is a lot cheaper than
buying an ultrawide lens for DX format, or buying a full-frame DSLR -
my Film camera pretty much has an 18mm lens on it full-time now)

No argument there at all. Especially for the fisheye lenses.

Art - I love the super-grainy look that Kodak 3200 B&W gives.

Some subjects are also rendered nicer IMO on film - for example Velvia
gives remarkable saturation, but still manages to capture subtle tone
differences. Things like sunsets, flowers, machinery, IMO benefit from
the Velvia treatment. Also, personally, I prefer the way B&W films
render images vs digital B&W.

I still shoot film, but a lot less than I used to.

I mostly use film to produce slides for lecturers who are presenting
material in places that do not possess a digital projector.

Martin Brown