Buildings are not always level

Old September 19th 04, 11:55 AM
Gregory Blank

Like the story of Humpty Dumpty.

In article ,
"jjs" wrote:

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

Hey! By adjusting the camera properly, you can make the leaning tower of
Pisa stand up straight. ;-)

As you mentioned (Snipped, sorry), the Piza is truly remarkable. They made
all kinds of adjustments in its balance to make it work out. Left, right,
down balance, the works. Kinda reminds me of American History writers.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 19th 04, 12:06 PM
Gregory Blank

500$ for that is absurd.

Part of actually being a photographer (You know and surely I do)
is that one can make value judgments involving spacial relationships.

In most of the years (20 to be precise) I have been doing LF
photo I have seldom if ever used even a level. 99% I have done visually
on the ground glass, and there were some comprises but I have managed
to do a lot of successful architecture. No one needs a level, just an
understanding of camera movement and a good visual perception.

Mexico is great place for that very reason, juxtaposition.

In article ,
(Jorge Gasteazoro) wrote:

"jjs" wrote in message
While I think of it - for new viewcamera people - So you leveled your
camera, made perfect rise, triple checked all levels and the building is
still not level in the frame? Newsflash. Many old buildings are not
level! You might level the roof and find some doors, walls or windows
canted, or visa-versa. Funny how we don't always notice that in the frame,
but at the leisure of the lighttable, *argh*.

So, is it better to just show the building As Is or go to the fantastic
trouble of making it "look right"? Your decision.

This is very prevalent here in Mexico. you can stay trying to level
everything until the cows come home and you will always get a door
way, column, or wall leaning one way or other. The trick is to balance
everything so that the composition is pleasant. In photo.net, there is
athread about a person buying a special gizmo to level the camera to
the tune of $500, he better not come to Mexico or he is going to be
very frustrated....:-)

--
LF Website @
http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 19th 04, 02:08 PM
jjs

"Jorge Gasteazoro" wrote in message
om...
"jjs" wrote in message

So, is it better to just show the building As Is or go to the fantastic
trouble of making it "look right"? Your decision.

This is very prevalent here in Mexico. [...]

I shall find out eventually when I visit Mexico. One of my younger brothers
is expatriated in Oaxaca.

Old September 19th 04, 02:16 PM
jjs

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message
500$ for that is absurd.

I suspect the device he has is intended for panoramics - one which levels
the camera to the horizon for a 360 degree sweep. It's like a surveyor's
transit mount, but more expensive. We have one at work and for
multiple-image panos it is invaluable. For that.

Old September 19th 04, 02:32 PM
Gregory Blank

I can see that price as being more reasonable. As
for the surveyor transit, been there done it. Worked
as a transitman for 3 years,.. and also banging hubs and
setting points, I liked the physical work and applied math
combination / I learned
the instrument reading on a Theodolite with a Vernier,
a 1 minute gun, prior to using a Total Station.

Don't know what the leveling mounts go for
but our Total Stations without data collectors
were 20K.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 19th 04, 06:30 PM
bob

"jjs" wrote in
:

I suspect the device he has is intended for panoramics - one which
levels the camera to the horizon for a 360 degree sweep. It's like a
surveyor's transit mount, but more expensive. We have one at work
and for multiple-image panos it is invaluable. For that.

I made a pano head for my digital camera and spent 15 minutes trying to
level it before I determined that the ball head on my tripod is not square
to the center column :-/

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply