Salute to Lady Liberty - an exercise

Old June 8th 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

Default Salute to Lady Liberty - an exercise

Monday I was on a harbor cruise courtesy of Canon and B&H.

Nobody expected this, but I have not been able to convey the feeling of
the moment. To my eye the water from the fireboat looks dirty, though I
do like the misty, soft effect, this is the best I could come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.jpg

The RAW file: Please don't tell me about the dirt on the sensor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.NEF

--
PeterN
Old June 8th 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Russell D.

On 06/08/2016 10:17 AM, PeterN wrote:

Monday I was on a harbor cruise courtesy of Canon and B&H.

Nobody expected this, but I have not been able to convey the feeling of
the moment. To my eye the water from the fireboat looks dirty, though I
do like the misty, soft effect, this is the best I could come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.jpg

The RAW file: Please don't tell me about the dirt on the sensor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.NEF

That is a nice photo. I like it a lot.

Russell

Old June 8th 16, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 12:17:31 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

Monday I was on a harbor cruise courtesy of Canon and B&H.

Nobody expected this, but I have not been able to convey the feeling of
the moment. To my eye the water from the fireboat looks dirty, though I
do like the misty, soft effect, this is the best I could come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.jpg

The RAW file: Please don't tell me about the dirt on the sensor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.NEF

I don't want to sound like a smarty-pants, but the LR haze filter
might do something beneficial, or maybe not, but it's worth a try.

I like the photo, though.
Old June 8th 16, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

Monday I was on a harbor cruise courtesy of Canon and B&H.

Nobody expected this, but I have not been able to convey the feeling of
the moment. To my eye the water from the fireboat looks dirty, though I
do like the misty, soft effect, this is the best I could come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.jpg

The RAW file: Please don't tell me about the dirt on the sensor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.NEF

I'm bored, so here's the dehaze filter, among other things:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/48982192@N05/Pe1tum

I don't really like the way it turned out, but it's different from the
original, even if it's not better...

Why the high ISO, BTW?
Old June 8th 16, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 06/08/2016 12:17 PM, PeterN wrote:

Monday I was on a harbor cruise courtesy of Canon and B&H.

Nobody expected this, but I have not been able to convey the feeling of
the moment. To my eye the water from the fireboat looks dirty, though I
do like the misty, soft effect, this is the best I could come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.jpg

The RAW file: Please don't tell me about the dirt on the sensor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.NEF

In my opinion, that is a very strong photo. (I will not discuss
technical aspects, as others here are more qualified to comment on
sharpening, etc. My monitor is what it is: not calibrated to anything
other than my preference. My comments are on composition.)

While the boat is centered left-to-right (boring), Liberty is looking to
the left, where you left more space for her gaze. If Liberty weren't
there and the photo was simply of the boat, the photo would be just
another snapshot. Offsetting Liberty and providing more space for her
look makes it stronger. Everything about the photo directs the viewer's
gaze "over there".

The brightest sky is behind her crown and torch, accenting them more,
and drawing the eye to Liberty. The high jets of water to the right seal
off that side of the photo. The three jets to the left are aimed in the
direction of her gaze. The straight-up jets near the center break up a
bit of the sky.

It is a powerful photo of a national icon. After Messrs Cooper and Duck
tell you how to correct the technical aspects, you should
display/compete this photo. Don't muck it up!

(My nitpicking: there is a spot below the word "fire...", and there are
two spots farther back that are probably lights that I would like to see
gone. There is a dark spot to the right of the antenna mast(?) that
could stand to be gone. There is a similar dark spot near where the two
left-aimed jets cross that should be removed.)

Next time you are in the presence of some Canon reps, tell them about a
collector you know out in Indiana, with a collection of 50 year old Canons!

--
Ken Hart

Old June 8th 16, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

wrote:

Monday I was on a harbor cruise courtesy of Canon and B&H.

Nobody expected this, but I have not been able to convey the feeling of
the moment. To my eye the water from the fireboat looks dirty, though I
do like the misty, soft effect, this is the best I could come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.jpg

The RAW file: Please don't tell me about the dirt on the sensor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.NEF

I'm bored, so here's the dehaze filter, among other things:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/48982192@N05/Pe1tum

I don't really like the way it turned out, but it's different from the
original, even if it's not better...

Why the high ISO, BTW?

It still has many of the aspects that I mentioned in another response,
so I think it's a good photo. Is it better? No, but I think it's just as
good.

--
Ken Hart

Old June 8th 16, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-08 16:17:31 +0000, PeterN said:

Monday I was on a harbor cruise courtesy of Canon and B&H.

Nobody expected this, but I have not been able to convey the feeling of
the moment. To my eye the water from the fireboat looks dirty, though I
do like the misty, soft effect, this is the best I could come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.jpg

The

RAW file: Please don't tell me about the dirt on the sensor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.NEF

Well

here is one rendition.
....with the dust spots fixed. (you really need to clean that sensor)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/PN_harbor%20cruise_3497-1Ec.jpg

Savageduck

Old June 8th 16, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Neil[_9_]

On 6/8/2016 12:17 PM, PeterN wrote:

Monday I was on a harbor cruise courtesy of Canon and B&H.

Nobody expected this, but I have not been able to convey the feeling of
the moment. To my eye the water from the fireboat looks dirty, though I
do like the misty, soft effect, this is the best I could come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.jpg

The RAW file: Please don't tell me about the dirt on the sensor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.NEF

I like it. The clearest elements in the picture are Lady Liberty and the
flag, the balance is good, and even the yellowish color gamut adds a
nice touch. Good going!

--
Best regards,

Neil
Old June 8th 16, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/8/2016 12:51 PM, Russell D. wrote:
On 06/08/2016 10:17 AM, PeterN wrote:

Monday I was on a harbor cruise courtesy of Canon and B&H.

Nobody expected this, but I have not been able to convey the feeling of
the moment. To my eye the water from the fireboat looks dirty, though I
do like the misty, soft effect, this is the best I could come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.jpg

The RAW file: Please don't tell me about the dirt on the sensor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160606_harbor%20cruise_3497.NEF

That is a nice photo. I like it a lot.

Russell

Thank you
The RAW file is there for anyone to play with, for personal use only.

--
PeterN
Old June 8th 16, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/8/2016 3:12 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your comments. They gave me something to think about. I have
at least twenty different images of the same subject. this was a photo
op cruise and the Captain kept going back and forth.

--
PeterN