Buildings are not always level

Old September 22nd 04, 08:18 PM
Jorge Gasteazoro

Gregory Blank wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Jorge Gasteazoro) wrote:

Gregory Blank wrote in message
Hey if I ever get down to Mexico, can I stop by? I even
speak the language some what.

Absolutely Gregory, send me an e mail and I will be glad to meet you
and take you around. There are some great places around where I live.
You can see some of them at this address:

http://www.btzs.org/Gallery/JorgeGasteazoro/

Cool- I really liked the images this one especially its
like a time transportation machine in the middle of nowhere :-)

http://www.btzs.org/Gallery/JorgeGas...ges/Chapel.htm

:-)) I think a little beyond the times....it is actually a chapel that
was left over from a hacienda that was destroyed in the Mexican
revolution. The place is now used as a corn field. I mean to go back
and try to take the picture with the plants growing.
Old September 23rd 04, 03:42 AM
Donald Qualls

jjs wrote:

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message

Hey if I ever get down to Mexico, can I stop by? I even
speak the language some what.

You, me, Qualls... okay! So who else is up for a run to Mexico?

Wups, count me out -- I don't travel by air (can't stand pulling 2-3
pounds of stuff out of my pockets for security, and then finding out I
forgot to leave something I shouldn't carry on), have no money (just
moved across country), and don't speak 100 words of Spanish.

For that matter, I don't drink tequila -- Scotch is my tipple.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old September 23rd 04, 04:27 AM
Atomic Sub Committee

In article k.net,
Donald Qualls wrote:

Wups, count me out -- I don't travel by air (can't stand pulling 2-3
pounds of stuff out of my pockets for security, and then finding out I
forgot to leave something I shouldn't carry on), have no money (just
moved across country), and don't speak 100 words of Spanish.

For that matter, I don't drink tequila -- Scotch is my tipple.

Tequila, yes well I remember a large bottle of that once, and then
theirs the waking up in the downstairs closet covered in puke part.
Didn't go near the stuff for several years after that :-)
Old September 23rd 04, 12:33 PM
Donald Qualls

Atomic Sub Committee wrote:
In article k.net,
Donald Qualls wrote:

Wups, count me out -- I don't travel by air (can't stand pulling 2-3
pounds of stuff out of my pockets for security, and then finding out I
forgot to leave something I shouldn't carry on), have no money (just
moved across country), and don't speak 100 words of Spanish.

For that matter, I don't drink tequila -- Scotch is my tipple.

Tequila, yes well I remember a large bottle of that once, and then
theirs the waking up in the downstairs closet covered in puke part.
Didn't go near the stuff for several years after that :-)

I did something like that once with Bourbon. After four weeks with my
arm in an immobilizer and sling, and eight weeks regaining the mobility
in a dislocated elbow, I haven't touched Bourbon since. Too easy, after
four or five, to forget you're drinking alcohol. Scotch never loses its
bite...

Old September 28th 04, 11:21 PM
John McGraw

"Matt Clara" wrote in message .. .
"jjs" wrote in message

While I think of it - for new viewcamera people - So you leveled your
camera, made perfect rise, triple checked all levels and the building is
still not level in the frame? Newsflash. Many old buildings are not
level! You might level the roof and find some doors, walls or windows
canted, or visa-versa. Funny how we don't always notice that in the

frame,
but at the leisure of the lighttable, *argh*.

So, is it better to just show the building As Is or go to the fantastic
trouble of making it "look right"? Your decision.

Check out this lighthouse in Michigan:
http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowPhoto.cfm?PhotoID=57844
Admittedly, this was no large format camera, still, the waterline is as
horizontal as can be, and this was shot on a tripod with a level built in
(which I used). Never noticed it was the Leaning Lighthouse of Ludington
until I scanned the slide.

Hi All
There is a hi rise in downtown L.A. that's (IIRC) 6-1/2" out of plumb
by the 8th floor. The Iron Workers plumb up gang had a new, very
expensive, laser level {The 1st one I'd ever seen, (fall ‘89)} instead
of depending on the traditional transit & targets. Again IIRC it's
address is 777 Figueroa. In the opening scene of LA Law, it's the
white building to the right, across the Harbor Fwy. The west side
facing the camera is convex.
So, what's my point? That it's not only old buildings that aren't
level. John