32 GB SD card is coming!

Old January 13th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, uk.rec.photo.misc, rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default 32 GB SD card is coming!

Toshiba announced it in August 2007 last year and they indicated that
it will be ready for January 2008. Panasonic has just introduced it
recently for market use in the latest CES convention. It heard that it
costs about $700 in Japan.
Some questions to ponder:

1. I wonder about a physical limit in storage for the current size of
an SD card. How far do you thing that they can squeeze in the amount
of memory in that size of card? Could it become a 50, 100, 200 GB SD
card in the future. Why do they multiply in the order of
1,2,4,8,16,32, etc. Why not in nice number like 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50
GB, etc (metric)?

2. On the back of my regular SD card, there are approx. 9 contact
areas which connect into the terminal. Are all those 9 contacts
currently utilized for a typical usage in a digital camera? Or perhaps
that they only use 2-3 contacts and the others are just reserves for
future use? I noticed similar thing for a telephone jack. There are
those phone cables with only 2 connection wires inside (cheaper), and
there are with more wires (which is perhaps capable for faster
connection or other accessories in a phone - just guessing). Is there
a technical discussion in the internet about these contacts and/or the
details inside an SD card?

3. They said about 32GB SD card. What about the Compact Flash card?
What is the largest size available currently for CF? Is CF, xD and
Sony stick will eventually be abandoned in favour of SD cards? (just
like the wars of betamax vs VHS, and recently between blue ray and HD
DVD). I believe that SD card was pioneered by Toshiba.

4. For an average usage in a digital camera, how useful is a 32 GB
card? Would you prefer to carry 4x8 GB SD card or one 32GB card? Is
an 8GB card more than enough for a digital camera? Is the increase of
GB in storage will be matched with higher and higher MP cameras? Will
the future commercial digital cameras in the market ever reach, say 32
or 64 MP cameras? I assume current RAW files are now about the size of
25MB each. Do professional cameras produce larger size RAW files? I
know that there are 30 MP or perhaps even more MP in current
professional cameras ( 6x4.5 of 6x7 size cameras).

5. Is the new 32 GB SD card compatible for all current digital
cameras, regardless of features and prices? It was mentioned
something about High density SDHC usage, and I wonder if my cheap $100
camera, or my 4 years old camera (3MP) can handle it. Or is this for
high end cost, latest model, and high MP cameras' usage only?

Thanks for the input and discussion
Old January 13th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
sonsdad

Hi
Without doubt the smaller cards are safer, consider the pain if a 32gb
card goes down after shooting a wedding

Old January 13th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Jürgen Exner

wrote:
[SD cards]
1. Why do they multiply in the order of
1,2,4,8,16,32, etc. Why not in nice number like 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50
GB, etc (metric)?

Because the native language of the computers we have today is binary, not
decimal.
BTW: metric is something different.

2. On the back of my regular SD card, there are approx. 9 contact
areas which connect into the terminal. Are all those 9 contacts
currently utilized for a typical usage in a digital camera?

See e.g.
http://pinouts.ru/Memory/sdcard_pinout.shtml

Or perhaps
that they only use 2-3 contacts and the others are just reserves for
future use? I noticed similar thing for a telephone jack. There are
those phone cables with only 2 connection wires inside (cheaper), and
there are with more wires (which is perhaps capable for faster
connection or other accessories in a phone - just guessing). Is there
a technical discussion in the internet about these contacts and/or the
details inside an SD card?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card for a phletora of more
links.

3. They said about 32GB SD card. What about the Compact Flash card?

Usually CF is about half a year ahead of the other formats and 32GB CF are
indeed availaible today, although still a bit hard to find.

What is the largest size available currently for CF? Is CF, xD and
Sony stick will eventually be abandoned in favour of SD cards? (just
like the wars of betamax vs VHS, and recently between blue ray and HD
DVD). I believe that SD card was pioneered by Toshiba.

The CF interface which is the same as PCMCIA just in a different form factor
has too many technical advantages over SD, whereas SD is often more liked
because the cards are smaller and the connectors less fragile. Those two
will be sticking around for a long time. The other formats are too
proprietary and IMO will die slowly just like the other extinct custom
formats.

4. For an average usage in a digital camera, how useful is a 32 GB
card? Would you prefer to carry 4x8 GB SD card or one 32GB card?

Please see the previous heated discussions on that topic, no need to beat a
dead horse all over again.

the future commercial digital cameras in the market ever reach, say 32
or 64 MP cameras? I assume current RAW files are now about the size of
25MB each.

"Predictions are difficult, in particular when they are about the future."
But if history is any indication, then yes, sensor sizes will increase,
although today's cameras already have more resolution than 95% of all
photographers ever need. Just consider, how many people are happy with those
crappy pictures from cell phones.

Do professional cameras produce larger size RAW files? I

Please define professional.
Aside of that, the size of a RAW file depends on the size of the sensor and
if used somewhat on the compression algorithm.

5. Is the new 32 GB SD card compatible for all current digital
cameras, regardless of features and prices?

Of course not. The original SD as defined in 2000 is suffering from the
infamous 2GB limit. Therefore after only 6 years the SDA had to create a new
standard SDHC. See the previously mentioned Wikipedia article, sections "5.1
Compatibility issues with 2 GB and larger cards" and "6.1 SD and SDHC
compatibility issues" for details.
In addition to that there is also the question if your camera can handle a
file system, that supports more than 2GB or if it is limited to FAT16 only.

something about High density SDHC usage, and I wonder if my cheap $100
camera, or my 4 years old camera (3MP) can handle it. Or is this for
high end cost, latest model, and high MP cameras' usage only?

Cameras before 2006 cannot possibly support SDHC because SDHC wasn't defined
until then. As for the file system: depends how forward thinking the
firmware designers were and if they included support for other filesystems
beside FAT16.
While file system support is purely a software issue and could be added by a
firmware update if the manufacturer is inclined to to so, I am not sure
about SDHC. I think SDHC requires new hardware circuits, but I am not
certain.

jue
Old January 13th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
ASAAR

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 07:56:55 -0800 (PST), wrote:

1. I wonder about a physical limit in storage for the current size of
an SD card. How far do you thing that they can squeeze in the amount
of memory in that size of card? Could it become a 50, 100, 200 GB SD
card in the future. Why do they multiply in the order of
1,2,4,8,16,32, etc. Why not in nice number like 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50
GB, etc (metric)?

2. On the back of my regular SD card, there are approx. 9 contact
areas which connect into the terminal.

To access any of the card's memory, data is placed on the address
lines. Whatever a card's memory limit happens to be, if one more
address line is used, the card will be able to address twice as much
memory, minimum. With multiplexed addresses, it could be 4x, or
more. To be able to access memory in nice, round decimal numbers,
the cards and CPUs in the cameras would have to be redesigned to use
a number system other than binary, adding needless complexity.

Are all those 9 contacts currently utilized for a typical usage in a
digital camera? Or perhaps that they only use 2-3 contacts and the
others are just reserves for future use? I noticed similar thing for
a telephone jack.

If only this small number of contacts was used, the data would
have to be transferred serially, which would be far slower, and
would only really be beneficial if the camera's memory had to be
stored a great distance from the camera. A thin, 50 meter cable
would be much easier to use than a bulky, multi-conductor cable, and
probably much cheaper as well. There are many reasons why this
would be impractical, one being that the longer the cable (all else
being equal), the slower the maximum data rate. But if the cable
was accidentally disconnected from the camera, it would be much to
lose the card/cable if it fell into tall grass.

Old January 13th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Deep Reset

"ASAAR" wrote in message
[...]

ermm, the data *is* transferred serially.

http://www.interfacebus.com/Secure_D...rd_Pinout.html

Old January 13th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
ASAAR

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:34:33 -0000, Deep Reset wrote:

ermm, the data *is* transferred serially.

Ok, I was mistaken and multiplexing isn't used. I thought that I
read years ago that some PDAs which used both MMC and SD cards had a
faster data rate due to using a wider data bus, but that's probably
not true. I doubt that the difference was that SD cards transferred
data on multiple serial lines, but the way I'm going today, I'd
better not assume anything else.

With SD using serial data transfer, it may be a point in favor of
CF cards, which should then have the potential to have a much
greater data transfer rate. For me though, SD is fast enough. But
then I use them in still cameras, not video cameras. I saw one
demonstrated on TV today that had 60GB of internal memory, said to
be enough for 2 hours of video at its finest resolution. They
showed a 16GB card for it that looked like SD (I didn't hear that
part of the presentation). The camera might have been a Canon.

Old January 13th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Mike Dobony

wrote:
[...]

Comparing apples to dogs. Telephone lines use the inside 2 contacts for
line 1, the next outer pair for line 2 and the outside 2 contacts for
line 3.

Memory cards work on a totally different concept.

Old January 13th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Steve[_12_]

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:51:26 -0500, ASAAR wrote:

With SD using serial data transfer, it may be a point in favor of
CF cards, which should then have the potential to have a much
greater data transfer rate. For me though, SD is fast enough. But

Serial data transfer has much higher potential data rates. I can get
into the technical reasons why if you want. But if you feel like
doing your own research, just look up why SATA is faster than PATA.

Of course, that doesn't mean much when comparing CF to SD because the
bus I/O transfer rate isn't the limiting speed factor for either.

Steve