20D: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

Old February 25th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

Default 20D: SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

I'm bored this afternoon so I go over to the dam to try to get some
pics of the herons flying (they were very uncooperative). I'm also
shooting a few ducks, some cardinals, and the lone falcon that lives
there. The light is terrible, it's about to rain, but hey ... I love
a challenge.
Anyway, I'm minding my own business when I notice there's some rookie
cop standing there beside me asking me what I was shooting. "Birds,"
I told him without even looking up from my 20D and the Forgotten 400 f/
5.6L.

"Show me," he demands. So he makes me scroll through the entire CF
card showing him the photos to make sure I'm not shooting a picture of
little kids or the bridge ... you know, like terrorists always do. So
I'm narrating the pics as I scroll, "Great Blue Heron, duck, falcon,
duck, Presidential Motorcade, me flipping off the Pres, another duck,
me and the old lady doing it ..... "
You know, the usual stuff.

Just kidding about the Presidential pics. Thankfully, I deleted them
from the card before today's shoot. Otherwise, I might be typing this
from Guantanimo.

I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.) I
know Bush (and his gang of crooks) wipes his ass with the
Constitution, but I must've missed it when photography became a crime.

I'm just glad my pal, Kamran, wasnt with me. He's from Pakistan and
he's got a quick tongue. Can you say, "Taser?"

This isn't the first time this has happened to me, either. I think
the next time it happens I will politely ask the officer for a list of
things that I may and may not photograph. If he can't provide such a
list I shall politely ask him to go **** up a rope.

Anyway, here's a crappy pic from today's crappy shoot.
http://www.pbase.com/image/74796772

Old February 25th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky311

Default SO GOOD IT'S CRIMINAL !

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Have you ever been told to leave or not take pictures of an object?

Old February 25th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Feb 24, 8:50 pm, "micky311" wrote:

Have you ever been told to leave or not take pictures of an object?

Do cheerleaders count?

Old February 25th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Loomis

Hello Annika,
What dam were you photographing? I live in Northern Calif. and we fish
@ Lake Shasta, and now you cannot even get near the dam in a fishing boat.
They will broadcast a loud "clear the dam" and if you don't
they do have automatic weapons......
This all happened as a result of the craziness in this world.
Hey, good photo shooting.
John

Old February 25th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gregory Blank

In article om,
"Annika1980" wrote:

I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.)

Wrong, perhaps the last 6 years has only become a greater excuse.
During the Clinton administration I was in a DC National Park with a
group of other LF Photographers. Being the defacto leader at the time I
was approached by a Park Police officer and informed I was breaking a
Federal Law by having my camera on a tripod without a permit. After
getting highly ****ed off, and journeying to the administrative
headquarters there (where I was "Informed " the officer was correct-but
they couldn't produce the exact legislative quote for the law) I later
saw this officer speeding without sirens or lights through a non park
intersection (I remembered the squad car, #) I reported this whole,
incident to office of the Interior that runs park services. I got around
about apology.

Furthermore, at the time other photographers were being hassled,
eventually the Park service issued a statement which was published that
the average photographer in the park did not need a permit, but the law
very from place to place according to types of Park one visited.

As much as we wish to perhaps Demonize this Presidential admin
the problem of local authority taking liberties goes a bit beyond my
lifespan- I think.

http://www.pbase.com/image/74796772

--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.
Old February 25th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:07:57 -0500, Gregory Blank
wrote:

In article om,
"Annika1980" wrote:

I was very polite with the flatfoot (since I don't really like jail),
but the more I thought about it after he left the madder I got. At
what point does having a nice camera make one a terrorist suspect?
When did that happen? (I know it must've been in the last 6 years.)

Wrong, perhaps the last 6 years has only become a greater excuse.
During the Clinton administration I was in a DC National Park with a
group of other LF Photographers. Being the defacto leader at the time I
was approached by a Park Police officer and informed I was breaking a
Federal Law by having my camera on a tripod without a permit.

The tripod thing is a piece of stupidity based on government officials
getting their information about weapons from watching movies rather
than talking to someone who actually knows something or actually
conducting tests.

The notion is that one can mount a firearm on a photographic tripod
for purposes of sniping. Never mind that it doesn't work.

Old February 25th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Annika1980 wrote:
[...]

BTW, Have you seen Spike lately?
I'm wondering if he ever worked that nail out of his neck or did the
nail eventually do him in?
Bob Williams

Old February 25th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

"Bob Williams" wrote in message

Annika1980 wrote:
[...]

How is ol' Spike?

Oh yeah, When shooting around a bridge, leave the turbin at home. : )
John

Old February 25th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

[...]

Sorry to hear about your Barney Fife encounter Bret. I often think this is
more a disconnect within the police department or more likely the officer
then actual enforcement of any real laws. Living right here at Ground Zero
I can tell you I've shot all over the city and surrounding parks and I've
never been stopped. I'm not saying that we don't have our share of Barney
Fifes but I find it interesting that I've been out and about around all
sorts of federal buildings at all sorts of time w/ and w/o my tripod and
I've never been asked "Hey you potential terrorist what are you doing?"
Most times when I'm on the Mall shooting the Park Police smile and walk on
by. I have pics of just about every bridge across the Potomac, pics of the
capital, white house, I've been all over the National parks and no one has
thought twice about it. Maybe I'm just lucky but it makes me curious if
incidents like yours aren't just individual police departments or officer
run-a-muck.

Regardless you managed yet another good pic in rather poor conditions.

--

Rob
"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

Old February 25th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
timeOday

It is a shame. If we really ran the country according to the laws on
the books, you could probably just ignore the cop completely or tell him
to buzz off. But we all know that probably wouldn't turn out so well.