Modern Nikon D-SLR camera that takes standard AA batteries

Old July 29th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Peterson

Default Modern Nikon D-SLR camera that takes standard AA batteries

Amanda Williams wrote:

It's just too many freakin' chargers. I'm trying to standardize on just AA
and USB for all my hand-held electronics accessorites.

I think that this idea is unrealistic today. The specialized
batteries are not going away.

So, I'm ditching the Nikon D50 for a digital SLR that takes AA batteries. I
found a few from Fuji and Pentax but none from Nikon. Did I miss something?

Why not just carry a small external flash with its own batteries.

Scott Peterson

--
Galbraith's Law of Human Natu Faced
with the choice between changing one's

(387/728)
Old July 29th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:45:57 -0700, "Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even
number wrote:

Watch out on some earlier BG-E2. It somehow does not like using
rechargable NiMH at all.
2 -5 shots .. then kaput

Mine work very well.

You seem to not have noticed that BnH didn't say that ALL battery
grips don't work well with AA batteries, just that some "earlier"
ones don't. Canon is aware of which ones may be defective and will
repair them at no extra cost, other than possibly shipping. I'm
proud of you, Mark², that you'd deign to use AA batteries in your
Canon, when it's well known throughout the SMSuniverse that only
Li-Ion batteries are worthy, whether used in the camera or in the
grip.

Old July 30th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matti Vuori

"[BnH]" b18[at]ii[dot]net wrote in
:

or maybe S4 Pro ?

Great idea. There isn't one, nor is it 100 % sure that there ever will be
one.

--
Matti Vuori, http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm

Old July 30th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rina

Gosh, Is there something wrong with your camera? or battery? My the charge
on my battery lasts so long that I forget that I should charge it... I'm
thrilled with the longevity of the battery for my D50. I haven't even felt
the need to buy a spare (yet).

You have too many gadgets!

All kidding aside, it's amazing how many chargers we have to carry for all
our toys.

Rina

"Amanda Williams" wrote in message
I currently own the Nikon D50 but I'm sick and tired of the stock
EN-EL3battery going dead after only a day or two on the road (I use the
flash on every shot). Even carrying an extra EN-EL3a doesn't solve the
problem as it goes dead just two days later, leaving me in the lurch not
even a week into my trip.

It wouldn't be so bad to be forced to carry the bulky MH-18a Nikon battery
charger everywhere I go when on vacation except that I have to also carry
all the other different chargers my cell phones and those of my kids, my
video camera, my computer, my PDA, my skype phone charger, my usb hub,
etc.

It's just too many freakin' chargers.

Old July 30th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred Lebow

Using the flash the way you do- You will probably run down AA batteries real
fast
And I would still advise taking a AA charge along in stead of buying AA
batteries as you go along or carrying extra ones.
All of your other stuff has proprietary batteries.

Leave some of the stuff home
or put up w the chargers.
I am used to carrying 3-4 ea trip.

Unless I go backwoods and then I bring everything small - an extra battery
for my Olympus 710 camera only
-- which is real small anyway

Fred
Fred Lebow

[...]

So, I ask:
Is there a modern D-SLR camera from Nikon (one that takes AA batteries)?
Or, at least a modern AA battery pack for the Nikon D50 D-SLR?

TIA,
Amanda W.

Old July 30th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
CSM1

[...]

The New Nikon D200 has the option of using six AA batteries.

Power Source: One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e, MB-D200 battery pack
(optional) with one or two rechargeable Nikon EN-EL3e Li-ion batteries or
six AA alkaline (LR6), NiMH (HR6), lithium (FR6) batteries, or 2R6
nickel-manganese AA batteries, AC Adapter EH-6 (optional)

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old July 30th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Amanda Williams wrote:

[...]

It's a bit difficult to imagine any AA battery pack for the D50 _not_ being
"modern", considering neither the D50 nor AA batteries existed in ancient
times.

If you had even tried googling "d50 AA" your second hit would have provided
you a link that listed not one but two different brands of such a device.

TIA,
Amanda W.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old July 30th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras
Amanda Williams

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 23:10:13 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

If you had even tried googling "d50 AA" your second hit would have provided
you a link that listed not one but two different brands of such a device.

Oh my. I had previously searched the Nikon web site and did not find any AA
adapters for the Nikon D50 D-SLR but I do now see these $50 non-Nikon D50
AA adapters now, thanks to you.

It seems these Nikon D50 AA adapters pack astoundingly more costower
using the $12 dollar 6 NiMH 1.35v 2400mAh AA batteries than they do when
holding the proprietary $150 dollar 2 EN-EL3 7.4v 1400mAh lithium ion or 2
EN-EL3a 7.4v 1500mAh lithium ion batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=502394

Is my math correct? Those of you who use these Nikon D50 AA adapters, do
you get roughly the same amount of power (2400mAh) out of twelve dollars of
NiMH AA batteries as you do with one hundred and fifty dollars of
proprietary lithium ion EN-EL3a (1500 mAh x2 = 3000 mAh)?

TIA,
Amanda W.
Old July 30th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras
Amanda Williams

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:11:05 -0400, Rina wrote:

All kidding aside, it's amazing how many chargers we have to carry for all
our toys.

Does anyone know if we can recharge the Nikon D50 proprietary atteries
using the mini USB connector in the camera?

All my new hand-held gadgets are mini-USB (i.e., Motorola cellphone,
earpiece, PDA, SD/CF card reader, etc.).

If Nikon engineers haven't thought of this yet, does any other digital SLR
recharge through the mini-USB connector in the camera? If not, why not? We
have to bring the Windows PC along anyway to dump the 2 GB Scan Disc Ultra
II SD card onto the laptop. We may as well charge all our apparatus off the
one PC charger via the USB ports.

If this hasn't been thought of yet by either the D-SLR consumer or by the
D-SLR manufacturers, how would we get them to consider this vast
improvement (this quantum leap is on the order of adding luggage wheels to
all my suitcases in the past twenty years).

TIA,
Amanda W.