Wearing phot vest at Europe in June 2006

Old April 10th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Wearing phot vest at Europe in June 2006

Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many pockets
to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc. I shall be
traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June 2006. One bad
point I can think - It will immediately mark me as tourist.

Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
Rome? The vest is made of cotton. Any member of this newsgroup has
travelled to Europe wearing Photo vest? A picture of the vest can be
seen page 33 of the photographic magazine Shutterbug May 2006. I shall
Carry only a small shirt pocket-able camera. Any comments. With thanks.

Old April 10th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"zxcvbnm2bg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many pockets
to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc. I shall be
traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June 2006. One bad
point I can think - It will immediately mark me as tourist.

You'll be immediately marked as a tourist anyway, so don't worry about how
the vest would look. There's not wrong with being a tourist -- just don't
be an obnoxious.

If the photo vest makes photography easier, then wear it.

However, NEVER carry your passport somewhere where it is easily
pickpocketed. There's no real reason to carry your passport, anyway. Keep
it back in the hotel, locked away, and carry a photocopy should you have
some reason to need it (for example, to get your VAT refund forms filled
out).

Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
Rome?

Paris is variable in June. Rome, however, can be very warm.

The vest is made of cotton. Any member of this newsgroup has
travelled to Europe wearing Photo vest? A picture of the vest can be
seen page 33 of the photographic magazine Shutterbug May 2006. I shall
Carry only a small shirt pocket-able camera. Any comments. With thanks.

If you're carrying a shirt-pocket camera, why would you need a camera vest?

Old April 10th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

PTravel wrote:
[...]

Cos they're cool, so to speak.

My sister gave me a Weekender travel vest. It has a mesh back, to
promote cooling. I've yet to try it in warm weather. Well, warm is
relative. Warmer than 70 degrees F.

The one I've used most is a $14.95 US fishing vest from Sports
Authority. It works good for ancillaries; I wouldn't want to do a big
lens or extra body with it, but it felt fine in warm weather, all
cotton and dissipates moisture pretty well.

I also have a jacket with dozens of pockets, some kind of a lawman's
rig with CCW capabilities. Don't need the latter any more, but I can
see the value of sleeves in cool or colder weather.

Now can we talk about photographers' shoes? My favorites are the
equivalent of what the Air Force issued me, called "brogans". They and
the current ones were carefully fitted to be worn with two pair socks.
Second choice is some of the very light and flexible (and really big)
"cross-trainers", also carefully chosen for fit. Third, "court shoes"
of modern design and careful fit.

Another thing the Air Force did for me was to teach changing shoes
from day to day. Wearing the same pair two or more days in a row
doesn't allow them to dry out completely, potentially creating foot
problems.

--
Frank ess
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:

--
Frank ess

Old April 10th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rome in June is hot...if the vest is sleeveless..maybe it will work. Me I
wear my Hawaiian shirts...you're gonna be tagged as a tourist no matter what
you do...just don't be a target.

Old April 10th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"zxcvbnm2bg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many pockets
to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc. I shall be
traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June 2006. One bad
point I can think - It will immediately mark me as tourist.

Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
Rome?

I just spent 10 days in Italy. I carried my small camera in my shirt pocket.
Spare batteries can fit in a pocket easily too. The rest of the batteries
and charger will be back at the hotel.

Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest pocket.
What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket. It has a
couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper money. My real
wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket. Cash is kept elsewhere
also.

No matter how hard you try, you will be easily spotted as a tourist. Make
the best of it and skip the vest.

Best way to obtain Euros is to use your ATM card at any Bancomat. No
service charges or upcharges as you'll get at the airport or hotel. Rome
will be hot in June. And loaded with tourists so be prepared to wait for
any attractions and be prepared to go through security, just like at the
airport. . On a slow day, the Vatican gets 12,000 visitors.

Check your cell phone options also. I have Cingular and was able to
register to have it work in Europe, but it is expensive, $1.29 a minute.
Cheapest way to call is to buy a phone card at a Tabacchi and use it from
the hotel phone.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old April 10th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"zxcvbnm2bg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many pockets
to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc. I shall be
traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June 2006. One bad
point I can think - It will immediately mark me as tourist.

Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
Rome?

I just spent 10 days in Italy. I carried my small camera in my shirt
pocket. Spare batteries can fit in a pocket easily too. The rest of the
batteries and charger will be back at the hotel.

Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest pocket.

It's best not to carry the passport.

What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket. It has
a couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper money.

Why go to that trouble? Though pickpocketing is a common tourist-oriented
crime, violent robbery is extremely rare in Europe.

My real wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket.

The front pocket is almost as vulnerable as the hip pocket or inside jacket
pocket.

Cash is kept elsewhere also.

No matter how hard you try, you will be easily spotted as a tourist. Make
the best of it and skip the vest.

Exactly.

Best way to obtain Euros is to use your ATM card at any Bancomat. No
service charges or upcharges as you'll get at the airport or hotel. Rome
will be hot in June. And loaded with tourists so be prepared to wait for
any attractions and be prepared to go through security, just like at the
airport. . On a slow day, the Vatican gets 12,000 visitors.

Check your cell phone options also. I have Cingular and was able to
register to have it work in Europe, but it is expensive, $1.29 a minute.
Cheapest way to call is to buy a phone card at a Tabacchi and use it from
the hotel phone.

Easiest way is to buy a SIM card and use it in a tri- or quad-band GSM phone
(Cingular is GSM -- if your phone works in Europe, it will work with a local
SIM).

Old April 10th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 19:31:56 -0700, "PTravel"
wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"zxcvbnm2bg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many pockets
to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc. I shall be
traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June 2006. One bad
point I can think - It will immediately mark me as tourist.

Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
Rome?

I just spent 10 days in Italy. I carried my small camera in my shirt
pocket. Spare batteries can fit in a pocket easily too. The rest of the
batteries and charger will be back at the hotel.

Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest pocket.

It's best not to carry the passport.

It is the requirement in a lot of European countries, especially Spain
that you carry your passport at all times.
Your passport is safer on your body than ina hotel safe.
Old April 10th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest pocket.
What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket. It has a
couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper money. My real
wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket. Cash is kept elsewhere
also.

Save some expired or discontinued credit cards for the decoy wallet. $2
is too little, it's a giveaway that the wallet is a decoy. Put at least
$20 in there.

So many people carry decoy wallets these days, that the if you're mugged
the mugger will realize that it's a decoy wallet if there's too little
money in it.
Old April 10th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

It's a requirement in some, but never enforced. A photocopy will do.

Have you ever tried to replace a passport overseas? It's not an easy, quick
or pleasant process.

Your passport is safer on your body than ina hotel safe.

Nonsense.

Old April 10th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"SMS" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest
pocket. What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket.
It has a couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper
money. My real wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket. Cash
is kept elsewhere also.

Save some expired or discontinued credit cards for the decoy wallet. $2 is
too little, it's a giveaway that the wallet is a decoy. Put at least $20
in there.

So many people carry decoy wallets these days, that the if you're mugged
the mugger will realize that it's a decoy wallet if there's too little
money in it.

Make sure you get any decoy wallet embossed with "This is a genuine wallet,
not a decoy". You should always carry a dummy camera as well. In some
countries you can even hire decoy tourists to take your place, so you can
remain safely at home.