Am I asking too much?

Old April 15th 05, 10:14 PM
John Bean

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:05:23 -0400, Cathy wrote:
I thought you were serious when you say "why so" so I wasn't sure what
you meant.

Well I was, in a way. But you're right, I very strongly suspected that the
original criticism was nothing more than a spelling flame, and an
ill-educated one at that.

I'm in Canada, and we mostly spell words with the "z" like patronizing,
agonizing, analyzing.

In fact I often use the US/Canadian preferred spelling with a "z" reather
than an "s", it's not even subject to comment in the UK. That's why I
highlighted this example. I doubt that anybody from the UK would even think
to seriously claim that the "z" variant was a misspelling, so why should
anybody claim the "s" variant is a misspelling? The excellent (American)
Miriam-Webster dictionary has both forms listed.

At one time here, probably 25 years ago, they quite often spelled those
words with an "s" but as time went by and with our close proximity to
the US and because most books and magazines here originate in the US. we
gradually put a "z" in those words. I am originally from Scotland, so
grew up in school using "s" in those words. As long as we know what
each other is talking about, thats the main thing

Sensible Cathy. I hope that others will learn the same tolerance.

--
John Bean

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer (Farmers'
Almanac)
Old April 15th 05, 10:15 PM
Cathy

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Cathy wrote:
"Hannah" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message

Hi All

I've spent a while searching for a pocket-sized camera for the

wife.

Mostly

The wife. How awfully old fashioned, patronising and disrespectful.

It
really winds me up when people like you treat your better halves as

mere

possessions. Like "I've been searching for a zoom lens for the

camera". "I

need a radio for the car".

Hannah.
And yes, I AM in a bad mood tonight, but by God I get the respect I

deserve

at home.

I don't see whats wrong with him saying "the wife"? Would it have
sounded better if he said "my wife"? Lots of men say "the wife" in

North
America (US and Canada). Its common. How is it any different from

women
saying "I'm getting something for "the husband" or "my husband"?

Cathy

Unless, of course, you have more than one, in which case a name would

be
better. .....

Hmm. yes, that could be a problem. Gotta keep your names straight in
that case.

Cathy

Old April 15th 05, 10:17 PM
Ian

John Bean wrote:
[...]

Ackk - ENOUGH already.

Old April 15th 05, 10:19 PM
Eric Babula

"Cathy" wrote in
:

"Eric Babula" wrote in message
0...
John Bean wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:18:00 +0100, Grumps wrote:

"Hannah" wrote in message
patronising

You need a dictionary.

Why so?

Spelling of 'patronizing'.

It looks like Hannah is from the UK, so patronising is the correct
spelling for the UK and Australia/New Zealand and even once in a
while in newspaper articles in Canada where I am located due to our
early British historical influences.

Cathy

I shoulda put a ?, rather than a period. I was just guessing as to why
Grumps said that. Sorry.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old April 15th 05, 10:24 PM
Grumps

"Hannah" wrote in message
patronising

You need a dictionary.

Why so?

Spelling of 'patronizing'.

It looks like Hannah is from the UK, so patronising is the correct
spelling for the UK and Australia/New Zealand and even once in a while
in newspaper articles in Canada where I am located due to our early
British historical influences.

No. You're all wrong. I meant that patronising is not a word that describes
me calling my marital partner 'the wife'. The word 'the' is used as an
utmost form of respect, as in 'The Queen'.

Now, calling her 'my wife' would certainly indicate that she is being
described as a possession. Possessed maybe, but only on a full moon (Once a
month anyway. The correlation with the appearance of the full moon may only
be coincidental.).

I remember when I first stumbled across this NG, when I was in search of a
digicam. People seemed helpful then. WTF has happened since then? It's full
of OT opinionated crappery.

Old April 15th 05, 10:25 PM
Deep Reset

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Cathy wrote:
"Hannah" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message

[...]

But then of course, you'd use the indefinite article - "I'm getting
something for _a_ wife/husband".

D.

Old April 15th 05, 10:27 PM
John Bean

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:24:06 +0100, Grumps wrote:
I remember when I first stumbled across this NG, when I was in search of a
digicam. People seemed helpful then. WTF has happened since then? It's full
of OT opinionated crappery.

You've got a great usenet name.

--
John Bean

Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin
with, that it's compounding a felony (Robert Benchley)
Old April 15th 05, 10:29 PM
Cathy

"John Bean" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:05:23 -0400, Cathy wrote:
I thought you were serious when you say "why so" so I wasn't sure

what
you meant.

Well I was, in a way. But you're right, I very strongly suspected that

the
original criticism was nothing more than a spelling flame, and an
ill-educated one at that.

Maybe he was just kidding. Hard to say when people don't put a smiley.

I'm in Canada, and we mostly spell words with the "z" like

patronizing,
agonizing, analyzing.

In fact I often use the US/Canadian preferred spelling with a "z"

reather
than an "s", it's not even subject to comment in the UK. That's why I
highlighted this example. I doubt that anybody from the UK would even

think
to seriously claim that the "z" variant was a misspelling, so why

should
anybody claim the "s" variant is a misspelling? The excellent

(American)
Miriam-Webster dictionary has both forms listed.

Both forms are correct depending on what country you are living in. Are
you in the UK? Since you are using gmail, I can't tell from your
headers.
I have many relatives in Scotland and they always write "s" as in
organised, analyse, patronise, and all those kind of words. They never
use "z". Its not the way they were taught in school and not how its
spelled in newspaper articles or books over there.

At one time here, probably 25 years ago, they quite often spelled

those
words with an "s" but as time went by and with our close proximity

the US and because most books and magazines here originate in the

US. we
gradually put a "z" in those words. I am originally from Scotland,

so
grew up in school using "s" in those words. As long as we know what
each other is talking about, thats the main thing

Sensible Cathy. I hope that others will learn the same tolerance.

Thank you.

Cathy

Old April 15th 05, 10:29 PM
Cathy

"Deep Reset" wrote in message
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Cathy wrote:
"Hannah" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message

[...]

Haha. this is getting more complicated.

Cathy

Old April 15th 05, 10:30 PM
Grumps

"John Bean" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:24:06 +0100, Grumps wrote:
I remember when I first stumbled across this NG, when I was in search of

digicam. People seemed helpful then. WTF has happened since then? It's

full
of OT opinionated crappery.

You've got a great usenet name.

And I have the T-shirt too (Printed by Disney).