Am I asking too much?

Old April 14th 05, 10:11 PM
Grumps

Default Am I asking too much?

Hi All

I've spent a while searching for a pocket-sized camera for the wife. Mostly
it'll be P&S, but she thinks she has a creative side too, so would like some
manual control.
Shortlist: Canon Powershot SD300 / IXUS 40.
Pentax Optio S5i.
That's it!

Are there any others worth considering that are about the same size and
price? In an ideal world I'd like to have more manual control than this
camera provides, and less chromatic abberation.
TIA.

Old April 14th 05, 10:27 PM
SeaShel

Grumps wrote:
Hi All

I've spent a while searching for a pocket-sized camera for the wife.
Mostly it'll be P&S, but she thinks she has a creative side too, so
would like some manual control.
Shortlist: Canon Powershot SD300 / IXUS 40.
Pentax Optio S5i.
That's it!

Are there any others worth considering that are about the same size
and price? In an ideal world I'd like to have more manual control
than this camera provides, and less chromatic abberation.
TIA.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_s60&show=all

This is a link to a side-by-side comparison for the two you picked, and the
Canon S60. I have the S50 and it rocks. More potential for creativity. A
big plus for me was the sliding lens cover which did not allow the camera to
be accidentally turned on. Have fun looking!

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

Old April 14th 05, 10:42 PM
Grumps

"SeaShel" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
Hi All

I've spent a while searching for a pocket-sized camera for the wife.
Mostly it'll be P&S, but she thinks she has a creative side too, so
would like some manual control.
Shortlist: Canon Powershot SD300 / IXUS 40.
Pentax Optio S5i.
That's it!

Are there any others worth considering that are about the same size
and price? In an ideal world I'd like to have more manual control
than this camera provides, and less chromatic abberation.
TIA.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...side&cameras=c
anon_sd300%2Cpentax_optios5i%2Ccanon_s60&show=all

This is a link to a side-by-side comparison for the two you picked, and

the
Canon S60. I have the S50 and it rocks. More potential for creativity.

big plus for me was the sliding lens cover which did not allow the camera

be accidentally turned on. Have fun looking!

Thanks for the link. That site must be the one that I've visited the most in
the last few days. I've been in the stores too, to see what these two feel
like. To be honest, there's not a lot in it. The SD300 has a faster
continuous mode, but how useful is that going to be to wifey, but the S5i is
cheaper. I have the S45 myself (a few years old now). It's not quite as
pocketable as the SD300 though.

Old April 15th 05, 01:38 AM
Ron Hunter

Grumps wrote:
Hi All

I've spent a while searching for a pocket-sized camera for the wife. Mostly
it'll be P&S, but she thinks she has a creative side too, so would like some
manual control.
Shortlist: Canon Powershot SD300 / IXUS 40.
Pentax Optio S5i.
That's it!

Are there any others worth considering that are about the same size and
price? In an ideal world I'd like to have more manual control than this
camera provides, and less chromatic abberation.
TIA.

Casio offers come very small cameras with nice features. Sorry but I
haven't kept up with models.

--
Ron Hunter
Old April 15th 05, 08:24 PM
Hannah

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi All

I've spent a while searching for a pocket-sized camera for the wife.

Mostly

The wife. How awfully old fashioned, patronising and disrespectful. It
really winds me up when people like you treat your better halves as mere
possessions. Like "I've been searching for a zoom lens for the camera". "I
need a radio for the car".

Hannah.
And yes, I AM in a bad mood tonight, but by God I get the respect I deserve
at home.

Old April 15th 05, 08:29 PM
Owamanga

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:24:33 +0100, "Hannah"
wrote:

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi All

I've spent a while searching for a pocket-sized camera for the wife.

Mostly

The wife. How awfully old fashioned, patronising and disrespectful. It
really winds me up when people like you treat your better halves as mere
possessions. Like "I've been searching for a zoom lens for the camera". "I
need a radio for the car".

Hannah.
And yes, I AM in a bad mood tonight, but by God I get the respect I deserve
at home.

U must be on the rag, why do you make it our problem?

Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
Old April 15th 05, 08:50 PM
Hannah

"Owamanga" wrote in message

U must be on the rag, why do you make it our problem?

Who the bloody hell are you supposed to be? And did I address my comments to
you? I think not.
You wouldn't understand being 'on the rag', as you so delicately put it, if
you were given 1000 years to learn about it. But no, for your info, I'm not.

Old April 15th 05, 09:15 PM
Cathy

"Hannah" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi All

I've spent a while searching for a pocket-sized camera for the wife.

Mostly

The wife. How awfully old fashioned, patronising and disrespectful. It
really winds me up when people like you treat your better halves as

mere
possessions. Like "I've been searching for a zoom lens for the

camera". "I
need a radio for the car".

Hannah.
And yes, I AM in a bad mood tonight, but by God I get the respect I

deserve
at home.

I don't see whats wrong with him saying "the wife"? Would it have
sounded better if he said "my wife"? Lots of men say "the wife" in North
America (US and Canada). Its common. How is it any different from women
saying "I'm getting something for "the husband" or "my husband"?

Cathy

Old April 15th 05, 09:15 PM
Frank ess

Hannah wrote:
"Owamanga" wrote in message

U must be on the rag, why do you make it our problem?

Who the bloody hell are you supposed to be? And did I address my
comments to you? I think not.
You wouldn't understand being 'on the rag', as you so delicately put
it, if you were given 1000 years to learn about it. But no, for your
info, I'm not.

You post on Usenet you address everyone who has the misfortune of
reading your spew.

Seems clear to me you want someone to sympathize with some ill fortune
you have suffered.

Tell us all about it.

--
Frank ess

Old April 15th 05, 09:18 PM
Grumps

"Hannah" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi All

I've spent a while searching for a pocket-sized camera for the wife.

Mostly

The wife. How awfully old fashioned

Maybe,

patronising

You need a dictionary.

and disrespectful. It
really winds me up when people like you treat your better halves

Better halves? I don't think so.

as mere possessions. Like "I've been searching for a zoom lens for the

camera". "I
need a radio for the car".

Hannah.
And yes, I AM in a bad mood tonight, but by God I get the respect I

deserve
at home.

Live alone do you?