Where is this going now!

Old October 2nd 04, 02:22 PM
Michael Meissner

"zeitgeist" writes:

Today we were going to take pictures of our grandchild at a school award
program , and we were informed that some new rules are in effect and NO
pictures could be taken at any school functions anymore, unless we had
permission from all the other parents. Some pictures was going to be taken
in his classroom, but not now. It looks like Homeland security has taken
things way too far as all the so called rule makers are going crazy. It
seems like stupid ideas gets out of hand and snowballs.
Lets see, if you take a picture of a scenic Downtown area, you are
questioned as if you were a terrorist, if you take any pictures around or
inside a school, your a pervert. If this keeps going someday you will need
papers to walk down the street, Freedom gone.

actually a photographer could use this to their advantage. Find parents to
announce to the other parents that you will shooting and making the images
available.

One thought is that the school is hopping to provide a new income stream by
banning parents from photographing the recital, and then selling prints at
inflated prices.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old October 2nd 04, 02:49 PM
Jer

Charlie Self wrote:

YoYo writes:

Stick to Macro Photography because the
insects and flowers wont call the
police.

No, but the neighbors might if they see you in the yard hunched over the
begonias, with tripod, camera, remote release and all kinds of reflector cards.

Fine, let 'em, I'll take their picture when they show up.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old October 2nd 04, 02:54 PM
Ken Weitzel

Charlie Self wrote:
Zeitgeist responds:

Lead paint is a serious problem, it was basically a bucket of powered lead
suspended in the oil, it dried and left a coating of metal behind, you rub
your hands on the window sill, kids do so more so, put their mouth on the
edge, get a small but significant dose.

Lead paint WAS a modest problem. There are trace amounts of lead left in the
paint when it dries, and kids CHEW on the damned windowsills to get a dose that
affects them, and is nearly harmless to adults. Adults usually picked i tup in
the workplace, maybe making the paint, or welding, or in similar ways.

Lead paint was banned in '78, but still remains on many old structures. Some
paint removal methods can create a health hazard and pass the hazard on to
other areas (windblown paint dust).

Be glad you're not an ancient Roman: their aqueducts fed into lead piping. In
fact, much plumbingware was lead or lead line until fairly recently in history.

Hi...

Todays copper pipes are soldered (lead/tin)

Ken

Old October 2nd 04, 03:37 PM
Ken Weitzel

Michael Meissner wrote:
"zeitgeist" writes:

[...]

Perhaps. But the school pictures that virtually all of
us got - order as many pics of "your" kid as you wanted -
always included a cardboard framed group shot of the
class and teacher...

The class shot (at least here) isn't available
anymore.

Ken

Old October 2nd 04, 03:39 PM
Charlie Self

Ken Weitzel responds:

Lead paint was banned in '78, but still remains on many old structures.

Some
paint removal methods can create a health hazard and pass the hazard on to
other areas (windblown paint dust).

Be glad you're not an ancient Roman: their aqueducts fed into lead piping.

In
fact, much plumbingware was lead or lead line until fairly recently in

history.

Hi...

Todays copper pipes are soldered (lead/tin)

As a matter of fact, no. A few years ago, solder used for plumbing (acid core)
was changed to a non-lead formula. It is a bitch to use, too, compared to lead
solder.

Charlie Self
"Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles."
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
Old October 2nd 04, 03:42 PM
Charlie Self

Jer responds:

Charlie Self wrote:

YoYo writes:

Stick to Macro Photography because the
insects and flowers wont call the
police.

No, but the neighbors might if they see you in the yard hunched over the
begonias, with tripod, camera, remote release and all kinds of reflector

cards.

Fine, let 'em, I'll take their picture when they show up.

Yeah. The nice thing about my place is the closest neighbor on this side of the
road is nearly a quarter mile up the road. The other nice thing is that
neighbors across the road, all one of them, can't see my house for the trees.
Nor can people driving down the road.

So if I'm out shooting the morning glories, or the pyracantha, I'm the only one
who knows about.

Old October 2nd 04, 04:26 PM
Fi Nishing

"Jerry" wrote in message

Your nuts and must be one. If that was the case the pictures could be

taken

My nuts? I have no nuts my dear boy.

Your phone COULD ignite the fumes at the petrol station, no doubt on
that one.

You are nuts again , you must be one of the rumor creaters also. It has

been

Don't be an elderly idiot. I am creating no rumours, just repeating what I
have heard and what is implied by the signs at the petrol station.

Lead paint is very dangerous and COULD certainly harm, if not kill, you.

I do not drink paint it has never been shown that even touching it has

never
caused any illness, just created for Lawyers to make money.

I think you will find that just touching lead paint can result in ingestion.
Sufficient ingestion over a period of time can lead to health problems.
Read the literature.

I have worked with LEAD for thirty years touching it everyday NO

PROBLEMS..

That explains a lot.

There is no question that asbestos can cause serious lung problems.

So does cigarrets and other causes.

What the hell has that got to do with anything? None of that alters the
fact that asbestos causes serious lung problems, as I said.

It has been showh that the money spent on removing the asbestos from
buildings has caused a even bigger problem.

We are talking health problems, I thought. So spending money to get rid of
asbestos causes even bigger health problems than leaving it there. Right,
thanks for the heads up there.

I bet you also only Eat in restruants that have a no smoking area.

I don't know what that has to do with anything, but I don't care which
section I eat in, it doesn't bother me frankly. Fewer and fewer restaurants
permit smoking nowadays anyway.

Fi

Old October 2nd 04, 06:36 PM
Howard McCollister

"Jerry" wrote in message
[...]

People go crazy on rumors, and they go overboard on them. Cell Phones

will
cause a GAS Station to blow up, Black mold is going to kill you, Lead

paint
inside of some 50 plus year old houses is going to kill you. Asbestos in

40
plus old Schools is going to kill all the kids.
All a bunch of Bull ****.

Those aren't laws or regulations, those are local policies set by your
granddaughter's school. Likewise, hassling street photographers isn't a law,
but a policy of your local police department or of individual officers.

The reason isn't so much homeland security as it is fear by the school or by
the local agencies that if anything DID happen, they will get crucified in
the inevitable post-hoc American finger-pointing, blame-assigning, and
lawsuits. If a child were kidnapped from your granddaughter's school and
police later found that the perpetrator had taken photos of kids at that
school, the negligence lawsuits that would inevitably follow would certainly
break that school district. This kind of thing has happened many times
before, as you know. Far easier and cheaper for them to just completely ban
photography. Likewise your police department thinks it's better to stop
everyone on the street with a camera than it is to suffer the inevitable
public wrath that would befall them if one of those "photographers" they
*didn't* question, against long odds, happened to be a terrorist. People
lose their jobs, organizations get hit with bank-breaking lawsuits,
politicians don't get re-elected,...happens all the time.

Don't blame the government, this time, blame the American "by god, we're
gonna find who's at fault and make them pay" way of thinking.

HMc