Photoshop problem

Old February 7th 19, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Photoshop problem

I have 436 photographs of the front and back of coins. I am trying to
use variables to organise them in matched front and back pairs. Every
thing is going well until I get to apply the data sets when I get the
message "Could not apply the data set because of a disk error".

PSErrorLog.txt is full of records such as "2019:02:04 15:27:14 :
e:\ps\ps20\win64_release\20181219.r.30\photoshop\m ain\interfaces\utrackresouceimp.h
: 134 : REQUIRE failed".

Searches on the Internet suggest that it may be something to do with
the scratch file. Normally it is on drive C: which has 298GB free. I
have tried switching it over to D: which has 720GB free but it makes
no difference.

I have posted my problem on Adobe forums but so far have not received
any reply.

Does anyone have any idea of what my problem could be and what I can
do to fix it?

Eric Stevens
Old February 7th 19, 10:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

To start with, I am not familiar with the vagaries of using Win on a mix of
drives when running Photoshop.

My understanding of what you are trying to do is to tag each image with ID
criteria for each coin, and a front/back tag for each side of each two
image set.

That should mean the simplest criteria should be two tags per coin image,
one for the coin, and a different one for each side, and that to
sort/arrange them using the coin ID tag should place the two images of each
side together.

Are you using a more complex variable tag system?

Where are your originals, and are you applying the ID as 'Keywords' or
something else?
Savageduck
Old February 7th 19, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I have 436 photographs of the front and back of coins. I am trying to
use variables to organise them in matched front and back pairs. Every
thing is going well until I get to apply the data sets when I get the
message "Could not apply the data set because of a disk error".

photoshop passes along the errors that the os returns, so if it says
disk error, then you have a disk error. fix it.

and using lightroom for what you describe would be vastly easier.
Old February 7th 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 21:48:48 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Folder permissions again?
Old February 7th 19, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I really don't follow your problem, but I also have several hundred
photos of the front and back of coins. Each photo was given a file
name like 121-1855a or 121-1855b. 121-1855a is the face of a coin
minted in 1855 and 121-1855b is the obverse. The first number
indicates the coin is a $1.00 US gold coin and this is the 21st $1.00
US gold coin in the series. The $5.00 US gold coins have 5xx numbers
and so on.

There is a third photo in my series that is 121-1855s that is a photo
of the "slabbed" coin after it was sent to a professional grading
service. The 1855 Seated Liberty $1.00 gold coin is valued anywhere
from $225 to $7,000 depending on the grade assigned. The grading
service (PCGS) assigns a grade based on condition and seals the coin
in a container called a "slab".

I don't understand why a simple file-naming system would not display
the coins in the proper sequence using, say, Bridge.

I'm sure I misunderstand your problem, though.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 7th 19, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

All of what you have said makes sense to me, and should be a solution for
Eric’s sorting problem. However, the mystery of the ERROR remains what
seems to be a peculiar Windows issue.

Savageduck
Old February 7th 19, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 03:57:56 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

None of that. I think the easiest way to explain it is to refer you to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PYu...ature=youtu.be
and
https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/photoshop...external_files
or http://tinyurl.com/y835esu9

Old February 7th 19, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

I'm trying to get the face and rear surfaces into the one photograph
for each coin. It's easy enough to do except that I am trying to
automate the process for the quantity.

Old February 8th 19, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

OK. I watched the Kost video and see what you're trying to do: merge
two images into one image using automation. (436 images = 218 merged
image) I don't want a merged image, so the project doesn't interest
me.

Have you considered emailing Julieanne Kost at ?
I don't know if she responds to requests for help, but it couldn't
hurt.

Good luck.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 8th 19, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

wrote:

[...]

Sorting images by color etc....
https://imagesorter.software.informer.com/4.3/

Explained...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MeyVabShtQ

Will sort images by visual characteristics for
subsequent grouping.