Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

Old October 11th 18, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 17:10:02 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Can you guys just fix whatever problem it is you have with Win10 so we
can get back to something which resembles photography?

It is related to photography. I had to upload some photos for my house
listing, and that PC crashed once again, and wouldn't boot at all. No
access to my processed photos.

I think I have it fixed for good this time.

did it involve explosives, and did you video it in hdr or slo-mo?

I shouldn't have even said "fixed". The boot process is munged, the
drive doesn't appear in the bios, and I just don't want to spend the
time fixing it. It's more like I found a reliable workaround (F8). Too
boring for video...

that's where the explosives come in...

Well, that has been an ongoing temptation.
Old October 12th 18, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 11/10/2018 20.41, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Who really knows what files/folders/etc could be the target
of some code "oops", let alone an actual targeted attack?

that's what backups are for. if there's an oops, simply restore from a
backup. no big deal.

Only if you know that some data files were lost during the update. Why
should they?

the update deleted entire folders, which is very obvious, but
regardless, if a desired file is missing, retrieve from a backup. it's
not a big deal.

and it's not just updates. users **** up and mistakenly delete files.
buggy apps mistakenly delete files, or corrupt them. or, someone wants
to revert to a previous version.

anyone who doesn't have backups has only themselves to blame *when*
(not if) they lose important data, not microsoft, apple, google, etc.

I know people that do not know how to copy files to/from an usb stick.

one need not know how to do that for backups to occur.

Ah? And how will that person do the backup? The backup has to go
somewhere. Or are you doing the backup to same disk?

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 12th 18, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

I know people that do not know how to copy files to/from an usb stick.

one need not know how to do that for backups to occur.

Ah? And how will that person do the backup? The backup has to go
somewhere. Or are you doing the backup to same disk?

automatic backups, without the user having to do anything special.
Old October 12th 18, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 11/10/2018 22.07, MC wrote:
nospam wrote:

windows update is broken. it's that simple.

If it is I have not noticed it.

then you're in denial, the part you snipped:

What? I have nothing to be in denial of. As I have said, I have not
experienced any negative issues with Windows 10 update.

Me, I have experienced Windows rebooting on its own while processing a
bunch of a thousand photos. I leave the machine working, go to sleep,
and when I get back to find the machine rebooted and the process
stopped. I did not give it explicit permission to update and reboot. To
me that is broken. And no, there is nowhere in the config where to
disable automatic updates, not in the home version.

The update itself, even without rebooting, disrupts the photo
processing, taking processing time that I need to process my photos. I'm
talking of several hours.

Once the update made the processing to crash, till I reinstalled the
Nikon software. So the photo processing took two days more.

To me that is a broken by design procedure. I would do the processing in
Linux, but Nikon doesn't make a Linux tool.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 12th 18, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 12/10/2018 01.34, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

I know people that do not know how to copy files to/from an usb stick.

one need not know how to do that for backups to occur.

Ah? And how will that person do the backup? The backup has to go
somewhere. Or are you doing the backup to same disk?

automatic backups, without the user having to do anything special.

Yes yes yes. But you are not saying where are those automatic backups
stored.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 12th 18, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

I know people that do not know how to copy files to/from an usb stick.

one need not know how to do that for backups to occur.

Ah? And how will that person do the backup? The backup has to go
somewhere. Or are you doing the backup to same disk?

automatic backups, without the user having to do anything special.

Yes yes yes. But you are not saying where are those automatic backups
stored.

either the cloud or an external hard drive. all the user needs to do is
enable backups, which is trivial.

on macos, connecting a newly seen hard drive results in this dialog:
https://support.apple.com/library/co...are/images/en_
US/osx/tm_new_drive.png

choose 'use as backup disk'. done. backups are now enabled and
automatic.

there are additional options for those who want to tweak things,
including using a different destination, such as a network drive (more
convenient for laptops) and/or multiple destinations, or to exclude
certain files, but that's not required.

the cloud is even easier, although the initial backup can be time
consuming. some cloud services accept seed drives rather than upload
hundreds of gigabytes.
Old October 12th 18, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 12/10/2018 02.25, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

I know people that do not know how to copy files to/from an usb stick.

one need not know how to do that for backups to occur.

Ah? And how will that person do the backup? The backup has to go
somewhere. Or are you doing the backup to same disk?

automatic backups, without the user having to do anything special.

Yes yes yes. But you are not saying where are those automatic backups
stored.

either the cloud or an external hard drive. all the user needs to do is
enable backups, which is trivial.

They don't know what an external hard drive is, don't have one, and need
hours of training on how to use it. Similarly with the cloud, but even
worse because their internet is slow, and wifi is also slow.

I get called by some people when they want to copy the photos from the
camera or phone to the computer (usually when the camera is full, or
want to share the photos or print them). Windows computers. I have to do
the purchasing for them of USB sticks or whatever.

If I don't do the purchasing, they get sweet talked into contracting
expensive things they don't need and don't know how to activate and use.
I find out when called to activate those things.

Similar problem if they want to send the photos to some one, but this
got solved by using a mobile phone instead of a camera, as they know how
to use gmail. Tap photo and send.

I'm not talking of a single person, nor elderly people. Just ordinary
people, highly regarded professionals in their areas, but just able to
use a computer for the things they normally do. Any new thing needs new
training.

Ah, and I found the router was using WEP at one place.

A teacher told me of similar experiences with youths: they could do
anything with a smartphone or tablet, but had no idea of such basics as
what a file is. They can not handle a computer.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 12th 18, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

wrote:

[...]

Well you could back up to a Hard drive or even an SSD if you feel it's worth while or an online service. maybe the USB stick is a bit limiting and I wouldn't advise it for long term backup, we had one here yesterday that went faulty, the actual chip fell/broke off the connector.

/I/ can do that perfectly well, and other things like setting up a NAS
or whatever. They can not do anything. Click backup perhaps, then stump
at "plug in backup media". whatheheckisthat?

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old October 12th 18, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-10-11 07:36, Neil wrote:

Many people don't understand Win10 and keep treat it like it's an
updated version of XP. As a result they create most of the problems they
have for themselves and then whine about it on the internet. I've used
and supported several machines running Win10 for over 2-1/2 years
without a single problem on any of them because I saw what was coming
and how to manage it during the Windows 8.x years. So, even though Win10
is my least favorite version of the OS, I can't say that it's
functionally any worse than earlier versions.

FWIW, there have been different "editions with different abilities and
limitations" since Windows 3.1, so that also isn't anything new.

I've never thought it was an updated v. of WinXP. Far from it.

I jumped to Mac because of a fiasco called Vista. Vista broke Windows
for me and for many. (Linux proved to be a disaster for desktop use).

I hope I never have to rely on Windows ever again other than as VM'd
machines to support legacy s/w. And that will of course have its day too...

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."
Old October 12th 18, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 2018-10-11 07:36, Neil wrote:

Many people don't understand Win10 and keep treat it like it's an
updated version of XP. As a result they create most of the problems
they have for themselves and then whine about it on the internet. I've
used and supported several machines running Win10 for over 2-1/2 years
without a single problem on any of them because I saw what was coming
and how to manage it during the Windows 8.x years. So, even though
Win10 is my least favorite version of the OS, I can't say that it's
functionally any worse than earlier versions.

FWIW, there have been different "editions with different abilities and
limitations" since Windows 3.1, so that also isn't anything new.

I've never thought it was an updated v. of WinXP.Â* Far from it.

I jumped to Mac because of a fiasco called Vista.Â* Vista broke Windows
for me and for many.Â* (Linux proved to be a disaster for desktop use).

I hope I never have to rely on Windows ever again other than as VM'd
machines to support legacy s/w.Â* And that will of course have its day
too...

When an OS is 'broken', it will fail for ALL users. Vista, much like
Win8.x, instituted policies that were announced but not enforced in XP,
and MANY app developers ignored them (one being the elimination of apps'
access to discreet memory locations). As with Win10, Vista wasn't
'broken', and I still have a laptop running Vista that has never had a
problem. That doesn't mean that none will suffer problems, but, again,
it's not the OS.

--
best regards,

Neil