Digital SLR advice

Old September 11th 04, 12:36 PM
Chef!

Default Digital SLR advice

Hi All,

I am considering buying a digital SLR and have seen the majority of users
favoring the Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS300D -these also fall within the
constraints of my budget. Having looked at photo samples of each, they seem
pretty similar in photo quality, but any users want to share the ups and (if
any) downs with either of the cameras and in particular usability and scope
for more adventurous/artistic type photography. The Canon would have the
advantage of me being able to use my lense from my 35mm EOS 600, but then
again I've always wanted to own a Nikon. Your views please.

Old September 11th 04, 01:23 PM
Abdulsharraf

D70 it's better than ESO300D

"Chef!" escreveu na mensagem

Old September 11th 04, 02:11 PM
Rick

"Chef!" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am considering buying a digital SLR and have seen the majority of users
favoring the Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS300D -these also fall within the
constraints of my budget. Having looked at photo samples of each, they
seem
pretty similar in photo quality, but any users want to share the ups and
(if
any) downs with either of the cameras and in particular usability and
scope
for more adventurous/artistic type photography. The Canon would have the
advantage of me being able to use my lense from my 35mm EOS 600, but then
again I've always wanted to own a Nikon. Your views please.

The D70 has a couple features the 300D doesn't, but Canon makes the better
lenses, which is why I went with Canon. You might actually be better off
getting a 10D...you should be able to find one for not much more than the
300D, about the same price as a D70 now that they are discontinuing the 10D
for the new 20D.

Old September 11th 04, 04:02 PM
Bob Haar

On 2004/9/11 7:36 AM, "Chef!" wrote:

I am considering buying a digital SLR and have seen the majority of users
favoring the Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS300D -these also fall within the
constraints of my budget. Having looked at photo samples of each, they seem
pretty similar in photo quality, but any users want to share the ups and (if
any) downs with either of the cameras and in particular usability and scope
for more adventurous/artistic type photography. The Canon would have the
advantage of me being able to use my lense from my 35mm EOS 600, but then
again I've always wanted to own a Nikon. Your views please.

The two cameras are more similar than they are different. You will find
strong advocates for each but the choice really depends on what you want to
accomplish and personal preferences. In your position, I would find the
ability to use lenses that are already owned a big plus for the Canon.

Personally, I picked the Nikon D70, based on the "feel" of the camera in my
hands. After researching the technical characteristics, I thought that the
Nikon had a slight edge and that none of my old 35 mm lenses would work with
either one. What really sold me on the Nikon was spending some time at the
camera store operating both cameras. I had some preference for the operating
modes (control buttons, menus, etc.) of the Nikon but was really captured by
how natural it feels when I hold and use it.

I suggest that you do the same. Go some where that you can spend time
operating both cameras and see which one suits you style better.

I purchased the kit with the 18-70 mm lenses and added a 70-200 tele zoom.

Some things that I appreciate in the D70 after owning if for a couple of
months a

fast action - no perceptible start up lag, short re-cycle between shots,
fast auto-focus
long battery life - I have gotten 750 pictures (including about 100 with
flash) on a single battery charge
continually pleasant surprises by features that I didn't expect - like
auto rotation of images taken in vertical orientation.

A couple of irritants:

The programmed modes don't measure up. Some of the choices seem
sub-optimal - but you can get around that by using manual settings.
auto-focus on the closest point seems like the wrong choice for
everything but "portrait" mode. I would prefer to use the programmed modes
but over-ride the focus operation.

I did have a problem with lint that got on the sensor when I changed lenses
but you run that risk with any DSLR. I was able to CAREFULY remove the lint.

Old September 11th 04, 04:24 PM
David Fouchey

Well I use the Digital Rebel and like it but Bob's point about TRYING
it out first to see what you like would be your best bet. I chose the
Rebel to use the existing Lens's I had. Were I to start from scratch I
am not sure which I would choose, both are nice cameras with the edge
on hardware to the Nikon with the edge on Optics, IMHO to Canon. Your
Mileage may vary of course!

Dave
Old September 11th 04, 04:26 PM
Joseph Meehan

Chef! wrote:
Hi All,

I am considering buying a digital SLR and have seen the majority of users
favoring the Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS300D -these also fall within the
constraints of my budget. Having looked at photo samples of each, they
seem
pretty similar in photo quality, but any users want to share the ups and
(if
any) downs with either of the cameras and in particular usability and
scope
for more adventurous/artistic type photography. The Canon would have the
advantage of me being able to use my lense from my 35mm EOS 600, but then
again I've always wanted to own a Nikon. Your views please.

I don't know either camera well enough to suggest one over the other,
but I can strongly suggest that you will want to pick up view through the
viewfinder and work all the usual controls of both cameras before you
decide. Individual feel is very important. What is great for me may be
very uncomfortable for you.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old September 11th 04, 04:55 PM
Chef!

Thanks for the feedback guys. First of all, I thought that Nikon was
renowned for its optics, no? From the replies it seems that Canon has the
edge for it's lenses. Secondly having spoken to a camera shop sales
advisor(?), he thinks that the Canon reproduces better 'fleshtones' than the
Nikon, so I hopped over to the DBase.com for a few samples and I thought the
Nikon had a more natural tonal appearance. Probably what will swing
it -apart from good optics- is the ability to light up and shoot straight
away with minimal lag. I will be -hoping- to shoot a great amount in b&w,
will they all do more or less the same thing or are there other factors
affecting the results as to what harware is used? Thanks.