How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Old October 30th 12, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

This is a problem which touches on digital photograpy and I'm raising
it in the hope that one of the more knowledgeable people here knows
the answer.

Just over two months ago I bought an iPad for the joint use of me and
my wife. I had about two weeks of battle with setting up email
accounts (the damned thing kept changing settings on me) before my
wife set off with it for six weeks overseas. The only thing I managed
to do with photographs was synchronise the iPad with one of the image
directories in my computer.

My wife returned with a swag of photographs copied into the iPad which
she had taken with her camera. The originals remain in her camera. She
had also copied several smaller swags into the iPad which she had
copied from other peoples' cameras. To make matters more complicated
she had edited a considerable number of images in the iPad and wanted
to access the final result for printing

I've now found out how to copy the photographs out of the iPad by
backing up to my computer. What I haven't yet found is an easy way to
delete +1800 images from the "All Imports" folder of the iPad. There
doesn't even seem to be an easy way to select a large number of images
at a time.

Google tells me I'm not the first person to strike this problem and
there are a number of recommended methods on the Internet. A problem
which has emerged is that while my wife was away she accepted the
invitation to upgrade to iOS6 which appears to be slightly different
in it's user interface from the previous versions. Tricks which are
claimed in various forums to make things easier don't seem to exist in
my version of the iPad.

Its not that I'm particularly worried by having to delete +1800 images
one at a time. Its what will happen next that worries me. What happens
when another 5000 images are added? ... then another 3000. Is it
really Apple's intention that the machine fills up until it bursts?

What do I do?

Eric Stevens
Old October 30th 12, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-29 20:39:57 -0700, RichA said:

On Oct 29, 11:00*pm, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Ask Siri. HAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!

Idiot!

Savageduck

Old October 30th 12, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-29 20:00:16 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

I have found one of the best ways to transfer images from iPad/iPhone
to computer is to use the Photo Transfer App.
http://www.phototransferapp.com/

In the iPad all image files are stored in the "Camera Roll" and can be
added to different albums from the "Camera Roll".

To erase any images from the "Camera Roll" first open "Photos" which
should be on the bottom of the App screen.
Now you should see the available "Albums". If you haven't created any
you will have at least one, the "Camera Roll". In the upper right
corner you should see the "Action" button, a curved arrow pointing to
the right, in a rectangle, touch that.

Now in the top center you will see "Select Photos" do this by touching
any of the thumbnails to produce a blue check mark on the thumbnail. On
the top left you will see three options "Share", "Copy", and in red
"Delete".

Select a group of photos and touch the red "Delete" button. This will
open a dialog. If the image also appears in a secondary album to the
"Camera Roll" (I have 24 different albums on my iPad) you will be
advised; "This photo is used in an album. Do you want to delete it
everywhere". Below this message you will see a fat red button which
will either state "Delete" or "Delete Everywhere". touch that button,
and poof! the offending image file(s) are deleted.

Savageduck

Old October 30th 12, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've now found out how to copy the photographs out of the iPad by
backing up to my computer.

actually, backing up to your computer doesn't help. although it does
copy the photos, it doesn't put them in a place where they're easily
accessed, unless you are doing a restore to the device, and then
everything in the backup is copied back.

the way to copy the photos is just plug the ipad into your computer and
it will show up as a digital camera. use whatever software you normally
use to copy photos, including lightroom, explorer or whatever else you
prefer. it's as simple as that.

What I haven't yet found is an easy way to
delete +1800 images from the "All Imports" folder of the iPad. There
doesn't even seem to be an easy way to select a large number of images
at a time.

to delete on the device, tap the action button at the top right, then
tap the photos you want to delete, then tap the red delete button.

if you want to delete all, use whatever software you used to copy them
and delete them there. again, the ipad shows up as a standard ordinary
digital camera.

Google tells me I'm not the first person to strike this problem

that's because a lot of people are stupid.
Old October 30th 12, 10:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:31:56 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-10-29 20:00:16 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

I presently have 'Camera Roll' containing three images, 'Last Import'
containing fourteen images and 'All Imports' containing some 1800
images.

What I relly want to do is delete the 1800 images, but I don't want to
do it one at a time. None of the three albums has the action button.
If I touch 'Edit' I do get a red 'Delete' but that requires I select
each image individually. If I select say 5 images and then hit
'Delete' the iPad will ask me 'Delete Everywhere?'. If I say 'Yes' it
will delete only the 5 I have selected. 1795 to go :-(

Eric Stevens
Old October 30th 12, 10:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:42:38 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

This is at the heart of my problem. While I have action buttons in
some places, I don't have one where I need it for the purpose of
deleting.

if you want to delete all, use whatever software you used to copy them
and delete them there. again, the ipad shows up as a standard ordinary
digital camera.

Google tells me I'm not the first person to strike this problem

that's because a lot of people are stupid.

You should read what I've written and then reconsider that remark.

Eric Stevens
Old October 30th 12, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-29 20:00:16 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

That makes sense.

If I select say 5 images and then hit
'Delete' the iPad will ask me 'Delete Everywhere?'. If I say 'Yes' it
will delete only the 5 I have selected.

OK! that is as I have detailed.

1795 to go :-(

Then something is truly screwy with your iPad setup. All image files
are supposed to go to the camera roll as the primary storage folder.
all other albums should be secondary. You should be able to execute an
action, including delete on up to 200 images at a time.

In Camera Roll I can delete entire albums retaining all the originals
in "Camera Roll".

I do not have a "Last Import" or an "All import" album or folder, but
then I am using a Mac.
What you are experiencing is not my experience. I have transferred many
image files from my computer to my iPad and they end up in the "Camera
Roll".
So I would try to delete more than 5 at a time from your "All Imports"
folder/album.

I would also suggest reading the iPad manual/user guide.
Here is the iOS 5.1 iPad User Guide.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ipad_user_guide.pdf
....and here is the iOS 6 iPad User Guide.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Savageduck

Old October 30th 12, 11:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DanP

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:00:21 AM UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
[...]

Can you hook it to a computer via USB and delete folders from the computer?

DanP
Old October 30th 12, 11:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 30/10/2012 10:10, DanP wrote:
[]
Can you hook it to a computer via USB and delete folders from the computer?

DanP

That's exactly what I do, but the directory names are mangled making it
rather guesswork! Why Apple couldn't provide a "select all" option is
beyond me - it seems that no-one must have tested using an iPad alone.
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 30th 12, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-30 03:27:14 -0700, David Taylor
said:

On 30/10/2012 10:10, DanP wrote:
[]
Can you hook it to a computer via USB and delete folders from the computer?

DanP

That's exactly what I do, but the directory names are mangled making it
rather guesswork! Why Apple couldn't provide a "select all" option is
beyond me - it seems that no-one must have tested using an iPad alone.

I don't quite understand why you guys are having these issues with
managing image files on an iPad/iPhone. I have a single image storage
directory/folder/album, that is the "Camera Roll".
I don't use Apple's photo streaming, iTunes, or iPhoto to manage image
files on my computer, I use the tools on board the iPad & iPhone.

I have individual albums which I populate from the Camera Roll". I can
"Remove" individual or groups of images from these albums, they are not
"Deleted" from the "Camera Roll".
I can also "delete" individual albums, still retaining the original
files in the "Camera Roll".

To "Delete" individual, or groups of image files from my iPad or
iPhone, I open the "Camera Roll", touch the "action" button (the one
with the arrow sweeping to the right, and found in the upper right
corner) select the files I want to delete by touching each one, and
having that confirmed by seeing the blue check mark on the thumbnail.
Then I have the option of deleting those files, all quite simple.
Perhaps, not efficient when trying to manage/delete 100's, or 1000's or
image files as one might when using a desktop or laptop computer, but
simple enough.

Savageduck