Kodak to stop making digital cameras

Old February 26th 12, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Kodak to stop making digital cameras

On 2012-02-26 13:38:14 -0800, PeterN said:

On 2/22/2012 3:11 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:05:23 -0500,
wrote:

yes you can, but who cares? people want to get work done, not fixate on
who built the computer. if a mac does it more easily, then they buy a
mac. why is this so difficult to accept?

What is easier about using, say, Photoshop on a Mac vs a PC?

I've been using Photoshop since it came bundled - free - with some
program I bought years ago. I've upgraded that original version
several times and gone through the learning process of how to use the
new tools and features. Never, though, have I thought "This would be
easier to learn or do if I had a Mac".

I've used PS on both a Mac and my PC. I have not seen any difference,
other than some keystroke shortcuts.

....and save for those few phingrrish differences that is about all there is.
Mac users had to wait a little longer for a 64-bit version, now all is
balanced in the PC vs Mac Photoshop World.

Savageduck

Old February 26th 12, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I've used PS on both a Mac and my PC. I have not seen any difference,
other than some keystroke shortcuts.

...and save for those few phingrrish differences that is about all there is.
Mac users had to wait a little longer for a 64-bit version, now all is
balanced in the PC vs Mac Photoshop World.

pc users had to wait for 16 bit printing support and they don't have
applescript support at all. colour management is better integrated on
macs too.
Old February 26th 12, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/22/2012 9:48 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:54:03 +0100,
wrote:

Eric Stevens writes:

There were various appeals and counter-appeals and eventually a
compromise settlement was reached in which Microsoft remained intact.
But there is no doubt they were found guilty of all kinds of things.

A finding of fact is not a guilty verdict, and Judge Jackson was not a
disinterested party.

They settled. They wouldn't have settled if the decision has not gone
against them.

Not at all true. A smart company will often settle simply because a
major lawsuit is a distraction from its core business. Yes, there is
always the hazards of litigation as a reason to settle.

--
Peter
Old February 27th 12, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital nospam wrote:
In article , Chris Malcolm
wrote:

I guess I must have been very lucky. I bought a cheap low-end Android
smart phone. Every app in it, and every app I've downloaded into it,
has always launched faultlessly whenever I tap the icon. Nothing has
ever crashed. What amazing luck! For a fraction of the cost I got
something that works as well as an iphone!

how is it a fraction of the cost? the price of android phones and
iphones aren't that much different and the price of the service is
going to be the same no matter what phone you have.

That may be the case now where you live. And don't forget the cost of
applications etc.. THe costs then were far from the same where I
live. The differences caused some friends of mine to switch from
iPhone to Android when upgrading. I don't know any who switched the
other way.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old February 27th 12, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

I guess I must have been very lucky. I bought a cheap low-end Android
smart phone. Every app in it, and every app I've downloaded into it,
has always launched faultlessly whenever I tap the icon. Nothing has
ever crashed. What amazing luck! For a fraction of the cost I got
something that works as well as an iphone!

how is it a fraction of the cost? the price of android phones and
iphones aren't that much different and the price of the service is
going to be the same no matter what phone you have.

That may be the case now where you live. And don't forget the cost of
applications etc.. THe costs then were far from the same where I
live. The differences caused some friends of mine to switch from
iPhone to Android when upgrading. I don't know any who switched the
other way.

Now you know at least one.

Savageduck

Old February 27th 12, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Chris Malcolm
wrote:

I guess I must have been very lucky. I bought a cheap low-end Android
smart phone. Every app in it, and every app I've downloaded into it,
has always launched faultlessly whenever I tap the icon. Nothing has
ever crashed. What amazing luck! For a fraction of the cost I got
something that works as well as an iphone!

how is it a fraction of the cost? the price of android phones and
iphones aren't that much different and the price of the service is
going to be the same no matter what phone you have.

That may be the case now where you live.

it is.

And don't forget the cost of applications etc..

you can't count apps in the price of a phone since not everyone will be
buying the same apps.

nevertheless, if you were to buy the top 100 apps on both platforms, it
would cost quite a bit more on android than on the iphone:
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/02/...ps-cost-2-5x-m
ore-than-iphone-apps/

In the U.S., for example, the cost of purchasing the top 100 paid-for
apps in the Android Market is $374.37 -- an average of $3.74 per
app.*The top 100 iPhone apps would cost $147.00, or $1.47 per app.

THe costs then were far from the same where I
live. The differences caused some friends of mine to switch from
iPhone to Android when upgrading. I don't know any who switched the
other way.

i know several iphone users who switched from android once the iphone
was available on verizon and later sprint. they only had android
because they wanted a smartphone and did not want at&t.

i also know a few android users who used to have an iphone. one bought
an android phone because of the 3d camera (htc evo 3d).

i don't know anyone who switched because one was cheaper than the
other. it was either they wanted a specific carrier or they wanted a
specific feature.
Old February 27th 12, 05:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

"nospam" wrote in message
pc users had to wait for 16 bit printing support and they don't have
applescript support at all.

And don't miss it either! :-)
(They have enough scripting options)

Trevor.

Old March 3rd 12, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:

I guess I must have been very lucky. I bought a cheap low-end Android
smart phone. Every app in it, and every app I've downloaded into it,
has always launched faultlessly whenever I tap the icon. Nothing has
ever crashed. What amazing luck! For a fraction of the cost I got
something that works as well as an iphone!

how is it a fraction of the cost? the price of android phones and
iphones aren't that much different and the price of the service is
going to be the same no matter what phone you have.

That may be the case now where you live. And don't forget the cost of
applications etc.. THe costs then were far from the same where I
live. The differences caused some friends of mine to switch from
iPhone to Android when upgrading. I don't know any who switched the
other way.

Now you know at least one.

Not where I live, with local pricings and usage habits.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old March 3rd 12, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems nospam wrote:
In article , Chris Malcolm
wrote:

[...]

But that's not necessarily comparing like with like. to make a proper
comparison you'd need to select say the top 100 apps, whether free or
paid for, on each platform, and then look at the cost of acquiring the
nearest equivalents on the other platform. Plus considering how
important it is if there's no satisfactory equivalent at any price.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old July 25th 12, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:34:00 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:
: On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:17:25 +1100, "Trevor" wrote:
:
:
: "tony cooper" wrote in message
: .. .
: What comment did I make about America that you were questioning? But yes I
: get my information from newspapers, TV news, internet etc. just like most
: Americans do I imagine.
:
: Yes, we do, but in depth. What you get is Australian and
: international news and information with some American stuff thrown in.
: While US news and information in the aggregate tells you something
: about us, the emphasis here is on the individual states. Our laws are
: often different state-to-state. Something you might read or see you
: might think pertains to the United States, but - in actuality - only
: pertain to one or a few states.
:
: And yet you proclaim to know more about Australia than me from a couple of
: pdf's, but I never claimed to know more about the USA. Hypocritical much?
: :-)
:
: You are firing in the wrong direction.
:
: I don't live in the USA. I live in New Zealand.

guffaw!

Bob