Bloomberg hints at DSLR coffin being nailed

Old September 11th 11, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Bloomberg hints at DSLR coffin being nailed

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 22:22:31 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
: http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/09/c...eing-mirrored/

They might as well say that Canon is "tempting fate" by continuing to put the
lens on the front side of the camera.

How do you manage to keep turning up all this bullhockey, Rich? It must be a
full-time job.

Bob
Old September 11th 11, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mike[_25_]

On 11/09/2011 9:57 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 22:22:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
: http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/09/c...eing-mirrored/

They might as well say that Canon is "tempting fate" by continuing to put the
lens on the front side of the camera.

How do you manage to keep turning up all this bullhockey, Rich? It must be a
full-time job.

Gee I think Nikon and Canon aren't going anywhere too soon, 2010 stats.

ALL digicams (including interchangeable lens systems):
Canon........ 19%
Sony......... 17.9
Nikon........ 12.6
Samsung...... 11.1
Panasonic..... 7.6
Kodak......... 7.4
Olympus....... 6.1
Fujfilm....... 4.9
Casio......... 4.0
Pentax....... 1.5
Other......... 7.9

Interchangeable lens only (DSLR, mirrorless, etc.):
Canon....... 44.5%
Nikon....... 29.8%
Sony........ 11.9%
Others...... 13.8%

Old September 11th 11, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mike[_25_]

On 11/09/2011 11:11 AM, John A. wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 11:02:29 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Is that revenue or unit sales?

Sorry current Industry "Market Share"

Mike
Old September 11th 11, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

wrote:
:
[...]

In the US, world or Japan? The OP is talking about the Japanese market,
primarily. From the linked story:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...y-cameras.html
"Mirrorless cameras accounted for 40.5 percent of SLR sales in [Japan]
in July, surging from 5 percent in early 2009, according to BCN.

Globally, sales of mirrorless cameras surged fivefold to 2.1 million
units in 2010, and their share of the overall SLR market may climb to 23
percent in 2011 from 16 percent, according to Macquarie Group Ltd.
estimates last month.
Mirrorless cameras have yet to catch on outside of Japan, allowing Canon
to hang on to an estimated 45 percent share of the global market for
SLRs. Nikon accounts for about 30 percent, according to researcher IDC."

Heh: Mirrorless cameras accounted for 40.5 percent of SLR sales"
-mirrorless aren't SLRS! ;-)
Old September 11th 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
irwell

wrote:
:
[...]

"What's in a name, that which we call a rose by any other
name will smell just as sweet"
Old September 12th 11, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_6_]

John A. wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 10:17:12 -0700, Irwell wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:30:35 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

Globally, sales of mirrorless cameras surged fivefold to 2.1 million
units in 2010, and their share of the overall SLR market may climb
to 23 percent in 2011 from 16 percent, according to Macquarie Group
Ltd. estimates last month.
Mirrorless cameras have yet to catch on outside of Japan, allowing
Canon to hang on to an estimated 45 percent share of the global
market for SLRs. Nikon accounts for about 30 percent, according to
researcher IDC."

Heh: Mirrorless cameras accounted for 40.5 percent of SLR sales"
-mirrorless aren't SLRS! ;-)

"What's in a name, that which we call a rose by any other
name will smell just as sweet"

Let's call them SBPMs - Snappy-Boxy Picture Makers.

That sounds too close to "hopey-changey stuff."

Old September 12th 11, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

wrote:
: http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/09/c...-being-mirrore
: d/

They might as well say that Canon is "tempting fate" by continuing to
put the lens on the front side of the camera.

How do you manage to keep turning up all this bullhockey, Rich? It
must be a full-time job.

Gee I think Nikon and Canon aren't going anywhere too soon, 2010
stats.

ALL digicams (including interchangeable lens systems):
Canon........ 19%
Sony......... 17.9
Nikon........ 12.6

Sony is ahead of Nikon?! I never knew that had happened.
Old September 12th 11, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

John A. writes:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 10:17:12 -0700, Irwell wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:30:35 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

Heh: Mirrorless cameras accounted for 40.5 percent of SLR sales"
-mirrorless aren't SLRS! ;-)

"What's in a name, that which we call a rose by any other
name will smell just as sweet"

Let's call them SBPMs - Snappy-Boxy Picture Makers.

Best version I've heard is "EVIL": Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable
Lens.

Somehow I doubt it'll catch on; but it's my favorite and I'm going to
keep pushing it whenever I can. Miracles are possible! After all,
"SCSI" is pronounced "scuzzy" :-).
Old September 12th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_6_]

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
John A. writes:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 10:17:12 -0700, Irwell wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:30:35 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

Heh: Mirrorless cameras accounted for 40.5 percent of SLR sales"
-mirrorless aren't SLRS! ;-)

"What's in a name, that which we call a rose by any other
name will smell just as sweet"

Let's call them SBPMs - Snappy-Boxy Picture Makers.

Best version I've heard is "EVIL": Electronic Viewfinder
Interchangeable Lens.

Somehow I doubt it'll catch on;

It won't, for obvious reasons, except among people who don't like them.

but it's my favorite and I'm going to
keep pushing it whenever I can. Miracles are possible! After all,
"SCSI" is pronounced "scuzzy" :-).

Yes, but "scuzzy" is not such a commonly understood word as "evil."

A problem with "EVIL" is that everyone who uses it in connection with ILCs
seems to be doing so with a smirk. Good luck with your dedication to the
project, but it will never catch on. :-)

Old September 12th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_6_]

Bruce wrote:
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

John A. writes:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 10:17:12 -0700, Irwell wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:30:35 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

Heh: Mirrorless cameras accounted for 40.5 percent of SLR sales"
-mirrorless aren't SLRS! ;-)

"What's in a name, that which we call a rose by any other
name will smell just as sweet"

Let's call them SBPMs - Snappy-Boxy Picture Makers.

Best version I've heard is "EVIL": Electronic Viewfinder
Interchangeable Lens.

Somehow I doubt it'll catch on

Here in the UK, the camera importers and photography magazine editors
seem to have agreed on "Compact System Cameras" or CSCs.

Whether the buying public will adopt it is another matter. ;-)

I don't think it works. "System camera" implies a camera with some number of
dedicated accessories such as lenses, flash units, remote controls, etc. In
those terms, my Coolpix 8700 and 8800 are system cameras, and I think it is
reasonable to call them such.

Lens interchangeability is what sets the ILCs apart. When the Nikon ILC
appears it will probably not be as much of a "compact system camera" as my
old 8700, really.