[SI] Weapons are available for viewing, finally!

Old June 16th 11, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] Weapons are available for viewing, finally!

On 6/15/2011 10:22 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:06:13 -0400, wrote:

Apologies for the delay. The latest mandate for the Shoot-In, Weapons,
is available for viewing. Aim your browser here to see them:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weapons

Now we need someone out there to peruse the pictures and fire off some
comments. And yes, targeted comments are best.

OK, sorry...

You want bullet points? Comments with an edge? What calibre of
comments do you expect?

I expected someone to fire back and shoot down my comments, I guess. And
I got my wish! At this point I'm just shell-shocked and should muzzle
myself before I go shooting off my mouth again.

OK, your turn...

:-)

For more information about the Shoot-In, please read the rulz he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Next up, as you may have guessed, a couple of summer reruns. Or for
those of you in the southern hemisphere, winter reruns. I'll have new
mandates posted by Sunday.

Old June 16th 11, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On 2011-06-15 21:06 , Savageduck wrote:

Alan Browne:
01; Is she trying to tell you something? Interesting concept for the
shot, but not exactly following the letter of most gun safety classes.
;-)

Just before that I said something like, "Honey, I promise, just one more
lens."

I was tempted to do a shot like that, but when yours came in, well...
Old June 16th 11, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 2011-06-15 16:06:13 -0700, Bowser said:

Apologies for the delay. The latest mandate for the Shoot-In, Weapons,
is available for viewing. Aim your browser here to see them:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weapons

Now we need someone out there to peruse the pictures and fire off some
comments. And yes, targeted comments are best.

OK, sorry...

For more information about the Shoot-In, please read the rulz he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Next up, as you may have guessed, a couple of summer reruns. Or for
those of you in the southern hemisphere, winter reruns. I'll have new
mandates posted by Sunday.

OK! OK! Let's see what we have here.

Eric Stevens:
Bofors Gun; one of the great dependable tools of WWII & beyond and still
in use. Interestingly enough, the Swedes sold it to both sides in WWII.
One of the benefits of neutrality I guess. The Swiss did the same with
the Oerlikon, manufacturing their German designed guns and selling them
to both sides.
Puffer Fish; Nice to be able to wear your weapon :-)
Disappearing gun; Nice. This type (from various different manufacturers)
was found in coastal batteries from the late 1890's, were pretty much
obsolete by WWI, but the US maintained them throughout the 1930's. They
sure didn't help the US much in The Philippines in 1942.

Yours Truly:
01; 1851 .36 cal Navy Colt, pseudo aged shot.
02; Forget about the belly, the holstered pistol is a Kimber CDP II .45
ACP.
03; M60 "Patton" training turret with 105mm gun.

Tony Cooper:
Grandfather's Knife; Nice knife, nice apple, good idea for the shot.
Tachi; Historically & culturally interesting.
The Shooters; I seem to remember this little group some time back.
Anyway, they have handguns on their hips and shooting can be fun. If I
recall correctly, there was Colt Lightning rifle you had in that batch
of shots which I liked.

Alan Browne:
01; Is she trying to tell you something? Interesting concept for the
shot, but not exactly following the letter of most gun safety classes. ;-)

Otter:
Weapons; Nice bronze cannon, it looks like an M1857 "Napoleon"
12-pounder to me.
Weapons 02: Caught them firing a salute?

Shiv Das:
ATV; I always liked the Sig P220.

Paul Furman:
Axe; Are you trying to tell us something of the quality of your
musicianship? ;-)

Tim Conway:
Weapon; That looks like one of the 3-inch Ordnance Rifles at Gettysburg.
Nice capture.

Peter Newman:
Reflection; Nice idea, and that looks like a P47D & an F4U showing in
that shiny spinner.

The spinner is on the B29. I was too lazy to wore to clean up that image.

Tern; A turn for the worse? Anyway I wouldn't want to be attacked with
that beak.

The terns are extremely accurate at the other end. The Skimmers were
defending their nest. I only wish there was less grass.

Warbirds; OK! I understand, but what were you thinking. It is so, ...um,
...er, "graphic?"

I couldn't decide which warbird to put in, so I made the not quite
successful image. The b29 is reported to be the last one still flying.
They were offering rides @ $500. $955 for the co-pilot seat. I was
tempted, but remembered that the new Nikons are coming out any day.

Bowser:
USS Missouri; Now those are guns!
A10; ...and that is a gun with a plane built around it. Wrapped by the
plane creates the illusion of a much smaller gun than the reality of
this illustration;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._VW_Type_1.jpg

Enola Gay: The B29 had a troubled development, but was able to make the
delivery when it counted.

Once more thanks to all who tried.

--
Peter

Old June 16th 11, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Weapons are available for viewing, finally!

On 2011-06-15 18:38:35 -0700, otter said:

On Jun 15, 8:06*pm, Savageduck wrote

:

Otter:
Weapons; Nice bronze cannon, it looks like an M1857 "Napoleon"
12-pounder to me.

You are probably right. *According to my source, it is a bronze 12-lb
light field gun bought by the governor of Texas in 1864 "to keep the
peace in the surrounding area".

That would be about right for that gun. The Federals and CSA both used
12-Lb "Napoleons". However the two versions differed in that the
Federal model had a a slight muzzle flair or "bulge" for strengthening
at the muzzle. The CSA version did not have this functional adornment.
The CSA barrel tapered smoothly down its entire length without a bulge.
The example you show, has the muzzle flair and having been acquired by
Texas in 1864, is probably a post Civil War surplus Federal N1857
12-Pounder "Napoleon".
During the War smooth bore guns such as this became obsolete and were
replaced with rifled guns, such as the "Parrot" and breach loader guns..

Nice and well maintained and polished. Over the years most other
surviving examples have developed a green patina to the bronze barrel.

It was still about a year before the end of the Civil War when the
bronze cannon were bought (there are 2 of them). I believe Austin was
still under CSA control at the time. Not sure where the guns came
from, but possibly Mexico. There were "cotton roads" to Mexico during
the Civil War where cotton was exchanged for weapons and supplies.

They could also be a captured Federal cannon.
There is a way to check on the origins. The next time you are in the
area, take a look at the end of the muzzle. All Federal guns had a
foundry name plus a casting and a Ordnance number cast around the
opening of the muzzle. Usually the year of casting is included.
I am not sure which CSA foundries cast 12-pounders, they built about
600 early in the War and most were used in the Eastern campaigns. Most
CSA Artillery was made and repaired at Richmond and Macon. and should
have Tredegar Iron Works or Richmond Arsenal markings. However the
Texas gun is not a CSA design. Also no CSA bronze guns were cast after
late 1863 when the Confederacy lost control of the Tennessee copper
mines.

If they originated from Mexico they are in all likelihood French. From
1860 through 1867 The French occupied Mexico. There would be
appropriate French markings.

BTW: The term "Napoleon" for the 12-pounder is not inspired by Napoleon
Bonaparte, but Louis Napoleon. They were the state of art smooth bore
guns, but the bronze was too soft for them to be made as rifles. There
were some attempts to rifle them, but those wore out quickly in use,
effectively becoming bad smooth bores.

Savageduck

Old June 16th 11, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-06-16 07:13:19 -0700, Whisky-dave said:

On Jun 16, 12:06*am, Bowser wrote:
Apologies for the delay. The latest mandate for the Shoot-In, Weapons,
is available for viewing. Aim your browser here to see them:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weapons

Now we need someone out there to peruse the pictures and fire off some
comments. And yes, targeted comments are best.

Savageduck:
01; I like the gun but not the background it's on they are too
similar.

I guess so. I was trying to create a period (1851) type effect and it
didn't quite come off.
Here is the pre-conversion version.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/1851Navy.jpg

02; Nice to know what the average American wears around the house ;-)

Well you never know when you can be attacked by one of those books.

03; When I first sore this I thought fuji400 film the colours remind
me of that film

Fields of green and blue.

Savageduck

Old June 16th 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 6/16/2011 10:13 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Jun 16, 12:06 am, wrote:
Apologies for the delay. The latest mandate for the Shoot-In, Weapons,
is available for viewing. Aim your browser here to see them:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weapons

Now we need someone out there to peruse the pictures and fire off some
comments. And yes, targeted comments are best.

Peter Newman:
Reflection; I like this sort of shot.
Tern; Nice catch although I can;t help but wonder why a littel
contrast and brightness type adjustmens aren't use
to make the whole shot a bit more punchy.

there's a classic example of choice. the original was very high
contrast. I toned it down as the grass became too prominent. Feel free
to play with the image.

Warbirds; Quite inventive, but where's the Klingon Bird of Prey and
the Romulan warbird !!!

Notice the blank areas. Their cloaking devices were turned on.

--
Peter
Old June 16th 11, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:18:58 -0400, Bowser wrote:

On 6/15/2011 10:22 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:06:13 -0400, wrote:

Apologies for the delay. The latest mandate for the Shoot-In, Weapons,
is available for viewing. Aim your browser here to see them:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weapons

Now we need someone out there to peruse the pictures and fire off some
comments. And yes, targeted comments are best.

OK, sorry...

You want bullet points? Comments with an edge? What calibre of
comments do you expect?

I expected someone to fire back and shoot down my comments, I guess. And
I got my wish! At this point I'm just shell-shocked and should muzzle
myself before I go shooting off my mouth again.

OK, your turn...

If your aim is to start an attack of puns, be advised that there is a
lot of ammunition available. The plan may backfire on you. It may be
your turn in the barrel.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old June 16th 11, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 6/16/2011 8:18 AM, Bowser wrote:
On 6/15/2011 10:22 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:06:13 -0400, wrote:

Apologies for the delay. The latest mandate for the Shoot-In, Weapons,
is available for viewing. Aim your browser here to see them:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/weapons

Now we need someone out there to peruse the pictures and fire off some
comments. And yes, targeted comments are best.

OK, sorry...

You want bullet points? Comments with an edge? What calibre of
comments do you expect?

I expected someone to fire back and shoot down my comments, I guess. And
I got my wish! At this point I'm just shell-shocked and should muzzle
myself before I go shooting off my mouth again.

OK, your turn...

Do you think we will quickly rifle the range of comments, or will they
explode. things depend on the bore.

--
Peter
If captured by cannibals keep your watch on.
Old June 16th 11, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 6/16/2011 2:19 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:18:58 -0400, wrote:

[...]

I doubt if Bowser would breech netetuquitte

--
Peter