Canon Digital EOS Rebel Pros and Cons

Old June 27th 04, 11:07 PM
Christina S Cericola

Default Canon Digital EOS Rebel Pros and Cons

To: Fellow Photographers and Photography enthusiasts,

I have searched rec,photo,digital and did not find what I was Looking for.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with the Canon Digital EOS Rebel
, What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it.? I read
about the differences between it and the 10D. I just wanted some feed back
from people that actually shot with it. Thanks in advance for everyone's
help. I always can count on this newsgroup for help. :-)

Thanks Again,

Christina

Old June 27th 04, 11:32 PM
G.T.

Christina S Cericola wrote:

To: Fellow Photographers and Photography enthusiasts,

I have searched rec,photo,digital and did not find what I was Looking for.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with the Canon Digital EOS Rebel
, What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it.? I read
about the differences between it and the 10D. I just wanted some feed back
from people that actually shot with it. Thanks in advance for everyone's
help. I always can count on this newsgroup for help. :-)

I have one, it's first and only dslr.

#1, feels cheaper than other digital and film SLRs I've tried.
#2, small buffer only allows 4 quick shots in continuous mode, after
that it's 1 shot per second.
#3, no flash exposure compensation, but that's now fixed with the
Russian firmware.

Except for those three things I absolutely love it, I like the controls,
I like the the kit lens, so far I've only added a 55-200mm, it's a fun
camera.

Greg

--
Destroy your safe and happy lives
Before it is too late

#1, feels cheaper than other digital and film SLRs I've tried.
#2, small buffer only allows 4 quick shots in continuous mode, after
that it's 1 shot per second.
#3, no flash exposure compensation, but that's now fixed with the
Russian firmware.

Except for those three things I absolutely love it, I like the controls,
I like the the kit lens, so far I've only added a 55-200mm, it's a fun
camera.

Apart from the functional differences and build, the viewfinder is the
main difference. Like the Nikon D70, the 300D uses a mirror box instead
of a glass prism, to cut down on weight and cost. The 10D uses a real
prism, and the result is much crisper, more contrasty viewfinder image.
This difference is carried through the whole camera - same basic image
sensor, but a much superior body if you need a heavier duty, better
feeling camera.

David

Old June 27th 04, 11:54 PM
Christina S Cericola

Thanks G.T. sometimes I get a lot of unhelpful nonsense when I post. Thank
you agin for your observations

Old June 27th 04, 11:57 PM
Phil Wheeler

Cristina,

I suggest you visit the 300D forum at dpreview. Lot of 300D/DRebel
users the

Phil

To: Fellow Photographers and Photography enthusiasts,

Old June 28th 04, 12:18 AM
Fred McKenzie

Does anyone have experience with the Canon Digital EOS Rebel
, What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it.? I read
about the differences between it and the 10D. I just wanted some feed back
from people that actually shot with it.

Christina-

The Rebel 300 is a fine camera. It is lacking some features the more expensive
models have, but has accurate shutter speed and accepts the best lenses Canon
offers.

Judging by your web site, you most likely have the talent to produce
outstanding images using a camera that has a minimum capability. As a
professional you may find the Rebel acceptable. On the other hand, your images
may benefit from the additional capabilities of more expensive models.

For example, the Canon EOS 1Ds not only has a greater number of sensor elements
than the Rebel, the sensor is larger so less magnification is required for a
given image size.

While I have been generally satisfied with the performance of my Rebel, there
are a few minor things that annoy me such as having trouble making it focus
where I want it to. I have never tried any of the higher models, so it is hard
to tell if they would be any better.

Have you considered renting one? That way you could spend some time with it
and form your own opinion.

Fred

Old June 28th 04, 03:00 AM
Rick

"Christina S Cericola" wrote in message
groups.com...
To: Fellow Photographers and Photography enthusiasts,

I have searched rec,photo,digital and did not find what I was Looking for.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with the Canon Digital EOS

Rebel
, What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it.? I read
about the differences between it and the 10D. I just wanted some feed back
from people that actually shot with it. Thanks in advance for everyone's
help. I always can count on this newsgroup for help. :-)

I have had mine for a few months now and I love it. Incredibly clear,
beautiful pics, I love being able to use quality Canon glass and it has more
features than I'll ever use. I do wish it had a bigger buffer---you only
get 4 shots before it has to unload to the memory card---but it hasn't been
a big deal for me so far.

Old June 28th 04, 03:50 AM
David J. Littleboy

"David Kilpatrick" wrote:

Apart from the functional differences and build, the viewfinder is the
main difference. Like the Nikon D70, the 300D uses a mirror box instead
of a glass prism, to cut down on weight and cost. The 10D uses a real
prism, and the result is much crisper, more contrasty viewfinder image.

This is a tale you hear a lot. If you actually try the
cameras in a store, you _may_ find it to be quite wrong.

At least to my eye, the 300D viewfinder is great. I can see all the way out
to the corners, and focus pops in and out better than any camera I currently
own (Mamiya 645, Rolleiflex with Maxwell screen). There is something a tad
chintzy about the image in the viewfinder; the 10D certainly seems smoother
and less harsh. But for framing and manual focusing, the 300D kicks the
10D's butt. (This is with my (-8.75 diopter) glasses. You should try the
cameras with your eyes and your glasses/contacts.)

This difference is carried through the whole camera - same basic image
sensor, but a much superior body if you need a heavier duty, better
feeling camera.

This is anothe tale you hear a lot. If you actually try the
cameras in a store, you _may_ find it to be quite wrong.

I really like the way the 300D fits my hand and I'm not fond of excessive
weight. So the 300D is the "better feeling camera". If Canon comes out with
a full-frame "3D" or "10D II", I'll buy it and put up with the weight and
viewfinder, as I do with MF equipment. (It's the image quality, stupid.) But
when the image quality's the same, one has a choice.

Besides, if you buy a 300D, you'll want to keep it as your light weight go
anywhere camera when you get the full-frame "3D" or "10D II" after it
appears, whereas the 10D will sit in a drawer or have to be ebayed.

(IMHO, the 10D is getting too close to its sell-by date. It's almosty 18
months old, and a camera-month is like a dog year.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 28th 04, 08:10 AM
Georgette Preddy

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message ...

But for framing and manual focusing, the 300D kicks the
10D's butt.

There is no way to properly frame without a sports finder. How do you
know what's been framed out? You don't!
Old June 28th 04, 09:30 AM
Chris Brown

In article ,
David J. Littleboy wrote:

"David Kilpatrick" wrote:

Apart from the functional differences and build, the viewfinder is the
main difference. Like the Nikon D70, the 300D uses a mirror box instead
of a glass prism, to cut down on weight and cost. The 10D uses a real
prism, and the result is much crisper, more contrasty viewfinder image.

This is a tale you hear a lot. If you actually try the
cameras in a store, you _may_ find it to be quite wrong.

Quite so. I have a 10D, my wife has a 300D. I'm hard pressed to see any
difference in the viewfinder with the same lens mounted.