life after Windows....

Old March 25th 09, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
White Spirit

Default life after Windows....

Kcoc Syawedis wrote:

I'm a music technician, so should know my stuff, but to be honest I
really struggled with all the multimedia software that came as
standard with Ubuntu. For the life of me, I couldn't get any of the
sound or video elements to work online. I couldn't get it to play WAV
files, I couldn't get it to play MP3s and it wouldn't play animated
GIFs. I can only assume you have to download all the individual codecs
[A computer program that lets you stream multimedia content] for each
sound or video you want to run, which is a real pain. Nowadays, you
need a good half a dozen or so codecs just to browse the internet and
it didn't seem to come with any of these as standard.

He couldn't get it to play WAVs and MP3s? What's the matter with him?
Old March 25th 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
William Black

"White Spirit" wrote in message

He couldn't get it to play WAVs and MP3s? What's the matter with him?

They're both proprietary formats. You won't get players with the distro if
it's strictly Open Source

Probably couldn't work out how to run the download...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 25th 09, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
White Spirit

William Black wrote:

"White Spirit" wrote in message
He couldn't get it to play WAVs and MP3s? What's the matter with him?

They're both proprietary formats. You won't get players with the distro if
it's strictly Open Source

MP3 is not proprietary. IIRC, Ubuntu comes with MP3 software. It's not
difficult to download xmms anyway - it's in the repository.

To be fair, Ubuntu is not always the best choice for beginners given
that it can be quite restrictive and buggy. It's not hard to look on
Google to find simple instructions to get what you need, but there are
better distros for the beginner.

For people who aren't beginners, there is Arch/Arch64

Old March 25th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message , Mxsmanic
writes
White Spirit writes:

MP3 is not proprietary.

MP3 is a minefield of software patent and copyright issues, both for players
and for recorders of MP3 content.

To be fair, Ubuntu is not always the best choice for beginners given
that it can be quite restrictive and buggy. It's not hard to look on
Google to find simple instructions to get what you need, but there are
better distros for the beginner.

And that's another problem with Linux: an endless number of "distributions"
which are actually different operating systems. With no standards, there's no
hope of competing with Windows.

Quite so and these versions come and go. There is a web siteIf i can
find it that list the current top 100 Linux versions (there are
thousands)

Also Linux has a major security flaw.

Old March 25th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
Lou Ravi

Mxsmanic wrote:
White Spirit writes:

MP3 is not proprietary.

MP3 is a minefield of software patent and copyright issues, both for
players and for recorders of MP3 content.

To be fair, Ubuntu is not always the best choice for beginners given
that it can be quite restrictive and buggy. It's not hard to look on
Google to find simple instructions to get what you need, but there
are better distros for the beginner.

And that's another problem with Linux: an endless number of
"distributions" which are actually different operating systems. With
no standards, there's no hope of competing with Windows.

Quite, I've been hearing for years now how Linux is going to take over,
that it's the best things since sliced bread etc. That's tosh, it has a
tiny market share, is not suitable for the average PC user and will
never be anything other than a minority OS for people who like tinkering
with their PCs. I have nothing against it, on the contrary it would
perhaps be good if it was widespread and got people away from MS
hegemony but let's be realistic, it just won't happen.

Old March 25th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
William Black

"Lou Ravi" wrote in message

Quite, I've been hearing for years now how Linux is going to take over,
that it's the best things since sliced bread etc. That's tosh, it has a
tiny market share, is not suitable for the average PC user and will never
be anything other than a minority OS for people who like tinkering with
their PCs. I have nothing against it, on the contrary it would perhaps be
good if it was widespread and got people away from MS hegemony but let's
be realistic, it just won't happen.

So.

What do you run on your server?

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 25th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
Markku Grönroos

"Mxsmanic" kirjoitti
om...
White Spirit writes:

MP3 is not proprietary.

MP3 is a minefield of software patent and copyright issues, both for
players
and for recorders of MP3 content.

To be fair, Ubuntu is not always the best choice for beginners given
that it can be quite restrictive and buggy. It's not hard to look on
Google to find simple instructions to get what you need, but there are
better distros for the beginner.

And that's another problem with Linux: an endless number of
"distributions"
which are actually different operating systems. With no standards,
there's no
hope of competing with Windows.

Perhaps you faggot get lost from travel forums.

Old March 25th 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Markku Grönroos wrote:

[]
Perhaps you faggot get lost from travel forums.

Yes, you do get a bit lost at times, don't you? Have another.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old March 25th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
Lou Ravi

William Black wrote:
"Lou Ravi" wrote in message

Quite, I've been hearing for years now how Linux is going to take
over, that it's the best things since sliced bread etc. That's tosh,
it has a tiny market share, is not suitable for the average PC user
and will never be anything other than a minority OS for people who
like tinkering with their PCs. I have nothing against it, on the
contrary it would perhaps be good if it was widespread and got
people away from MS hegemony but let's be realistic, it just won't
happen.

So.

What do you run on your server?

I don't have a server nor do the vast majority of computer users. Nor do
I have Unix, Aix (the other one) or any other exotic OS. Let peope who
use servers use waht they consider best, if that is Linux then fine by
me but that doesn't change a jot of the fac that Linux will never be
anything other than a minority OS.

Old March 25th 09, 08:50 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital
Lou Ravi

aracari wrote:
'Lou Ravi' wrote this:

Quite, I've been hearing for years now how Linux is going to take
over, that it's the best things since sliced bread etc. That's tosh,
it has a tiny market share, is not suitable for the average PC user
and will never be anything other than a minority OS for people who
like tinkering with their PCs.

That depends on whether developers get their act together and
bring it to prime time. It has the potential to become a serious
alternative to Windows.

Potental perhaps but then you probably could have said that about CP/M
(had GUIs really existed in those days). It may have the potential but
has been around for years now under ninety nine different versions and
has made really no dent at all in the OS market. It's all very nice to
dream but facts are better.