My Sigma camera and lens collection

Old July 7th 04, 11:10 AM
David Kilpatrick

Default My Sigma camera and lens collection

Mick Sterbs wrote:
"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" wrote in message
et...

I've seen a couple of those cars driving around the streets of New
York. A nifty little car.

I owned one of the first Smarts to reach the UK. It's a wonderful and fun
little car. 600cc turbo, 6 speed sequential gearbox, smooth and comfortable.
Top speed about 84mph, and so short you can park rear-end facing the
pavement and it doesn't stick out into the road!

So you were that guy going down the A1 at 95 mph the month they came out...

I hired one in Rome and nearly ended up dead. Crossing a road from a
fuel station, foot on pedal (one pedal operation), Smart car coughs and
struggles ten feet into road into path of truck speeding towards us -
pray, press pedal again, car finally does something after what seemed
like a second's delay (it was probably 1/10th of a second really) and
leaps out the way.

The 'intelligent' auto system just isn't worth it the day it finally
does let you down. It was our final day, had driven the car for a week
all round Lazio and through Rome without a hitch, from long journeys to
city traffic. By that time I was very well used to the car (done about
2500km during the week) and this was out 'fill up the tank' stop before
returning it to the hire depot and flying home.

Badly shaken by the brief near-incident (we would have been utterly
totalled by a truck doing 100km/h hitting a Smart sideways on) and
decided that despite liking the car, enough to have talked about getting
one at home, we would probably not accept one as a hire car in future.

David

Old July 7th 04, 01:29 PM
Skip M

"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" wrote in message
t...
"Gymmy Bob" wrote in message
Might have been Fiat derivatives but wrong country. The Ladas seem

to be
doing fine lately. Not my cup of tea though. They tried to sue the

author of
"Lemon Aid" for his review that almost destroyed them.

I know the Ladas were produced in the Soviet Union. I recall reading
an article in Automoblie Magazine years ago that was about a
particular factory in the USSR that the Russians were quite proud of.
It was by far their most "modern" factory but they did not design it.
It was designed by the Italians which might be why I am thinking that
they were Fiat derivitives. The Yugo produced in Yugoslavia was
definitely a Fiat design, perhaps the Lada isn't.

No, you're right, the Ladas were derived from the Fiat 131, the Yugos from
the 128.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 7th 04, 06:55 PM
William Graham

"David Kilpatrick" wrote in message

Mick Sterbs wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of the old VW's that had a, "reserve lever" on the fuel tank
instead of a gauge. I was always afraid that it would run out of gas at the
exact instant that I had pulled out from a stop sign into a fast moving
stream of traffic, and instead of being able to accelerate up to the speed
of the surrounding traffic, I would be sitting there with egg on my face,
faced with having to switch the lever and restart the car.....

Old July 7th 04, 10:03 PM
Gymmy Bob

We'll see if they can even meet the safety standards to be in North America.
The VW was almost booted years ago for that ramp front end. They brought out
the Rabbit and discontinued the Bug shape before legislation was passed.