My Sigma camera and lens collection

Old June 28th 04, 01:08 AM
Skip M

Default My Sigma camera and lens collection

"David Kilpatrick" wrote in message

Skip M wrote:
"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
news

Likely too busy trying to decide which of these many lenses to put on
which of his five bodies: Seems overwhelming to me :-)

Phil

Well, he's probably trying to figure out how to fill the obvious gaps in

his
lens coverage without dumping the whole batch and buying a real system

like
Canon's or Nikon's. A 180mm 3.5 (a not stellar performer) and a

120-300mm
f2.8, which is faster and better, and covers the same length as the 300
f2.8? No coverage between 70 and 105mm and 105mm and 120? No 50mm 1.4

or
1.8? (Oh, yeah, Sigma doesn't make one...) Yes, Sigma's 300-800 is the
only one on the market, but I can get one for my Canon's, too, since

Sigma
makes it in Canon mount.
He's dreaming, if he really used those lenses, he'd have a completely
different selection, or there would be 1 or two more, or less.
The reason I wanted him to post his collection was to really see if he

knew
what he's doing. He didn't disappoint, he really has not a clue.

The 180mm f3.5 is a macro lens, but the earlier 180mm f5.6 1:1 macro is
possibly better. The 120-300mm is fine but a touch limited in close
focus for macro work :-)

The interesting thing about George's collection is that he seems to have
lenses which are not currently available in the Sigma mount, at least in
Britain. Sigma do release the 120-300mm, and 12-24mm, and all the prime
macros and key teles like 300mm f2.8 but I have yet to actually see the
fast wide angle DG lenses in SA mount. I am sure some must be made but I
am not aware of anyone stocking them, including Sigma UK.

David

In that case, he's duplicating, because the 50mm f2.8 and 105mm f2.8 are
both stellar macro lenses. And, like I said, the 180 ain't so hot,
especially compared to the other two. If he can't get it with the 105, he
sure isn't going to get it with the 180, particularly since he says he can
dispense with tripods due to the magical stabilizing properties of the
Sigma body.
As far as availability, I'm sure he didn't consult the availability chart on
Sigma's website...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old June 28th 04, 01:31 AM
no

Default Your pathetic Sigma crap collection

The last fully working SD10s I saw were dumped in the garbage.
Exactly where they belong.

I see why the troll has 4 SD10s. Firstly because they are so inferior to
any other camera that it's laughable. Secondly because they take SO long to
take a photo you need several spare SD10s just to keep shooting.

The whole kit below could easily be replaced by any Canon or Nikon with two
zoom lenses and would produce infinitely better images at 2% of the cost.

Sigma = ****ty Inferior Garbage Made by Assholes

Old June 28th 04, 02:28 PM
Mick Sterbs

"Giorgio Preddio" wrote in message
om...
As per Skip's inquiry........

But Prof George, Master of Pornography, according to your website and
postings here you also have a Sigma 600mm mirror lens. What happened? Makes
a better shaving mirror than a lens I'll bet.

Old July 3rd 04, 09:38 PM
Ray Fischer

Darrell Larose wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message

who cares

I can cut`n paste from the Sigma catalog too. But nobody has ever seen a
picture you've taken so the point is moot. BTW why would you need 5 DSLRs?

The first four broke?

--
Ray Fischer

Old July 4th 04, 03:54 PM
Roger

"SleeperMan" wrote in message
Ray Fischer typed:

Darrell Larose wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message

who cares

I can cut`n paste from the Sigma catalog too. But nobody has ever
seen a picture you've taken so the point is moot. BTW why would you
need 5 DSLRs?

The first four broke?

ROFL

By my reckoning that's a 20% success rate. Seems Smegma has improved its
quality control. ;o)

Roger

Old July 4th 04, 05:58 PM
SleeperMan

Roger typed:

Darrell Larose wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message

who cares

I can cut`n paste from the Sigma catalog too. But nobody has ever
seen a picture you've taken so the point is moot. BTW why would you
need 5 DSLRs?

The first four broke?

ROFL

By my reckoning that's a 20% success rate. Seems Smegma has improved
its quality control. ;o)

Roger

Call me an idiot, but until now i've never even heard of Sigma, let along
heard that it's the best...But i did hear for a lot of models, like Canon,
Minolta, Nikon, Pentax...companies like Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, HP...i
mean really...they're making cameras last few years, while above mentioned
are making them for decades, centuries... I've seens a lot of pro
photographers, but i never - NEVER seen any of them having Sigma...mostly
Canon, Minolta, Nikon.
Would you buy a car if it would be made by Yamaha? I wouldn't...
It's really pretty simple to make a camera now - just take CCD sensor, steal
someone's lenses, add a resistor or two, throw all in a beer can, paint
nicely and...voila! Top-of-the-range camera is here!

Old July 4th 04, 11:42 PM
William Graham

"SleeperMan" wrote in message news:%GWFc.6182

Would you buy a car if it would be made by Yamaha? I wouldn't...

You would if you had ever owned any motorcycles made by Yamaha. - Or, for
that matter any musical instruments....I have two beautifully made Yamaha
trumpets.......

Old July 5th 04, 12:11 AM
William Graham

"{STP}" wrote in message
In article 0J%Fc.23231$a24.3517@attbi_s03,
"William Graham" wrote:

Would you buy a car if it would be made by Yamaha? I wouldn't...

You're a moron.

Yamaha makes excellent motorcycles, ATVs, watercraft and snowmobiles.
I'd jump at the chance to buy a Yamaha car.

{STP}

Hey! - I didn't write that....the original post was by, "sleeperman"....I
was extolling the virtues of Yamaha....I have owned several Yami
motorcycles, and several of their musical instruments....I play a Yami
flugelhorn right now....If they ever made a car, I would buy it in a NY
minute......:^)

Old July 5th 04, 12:40 AM
Gymmy Bob

Some people like tp be on the "bleeding egde" of things. Personally I
wouldn't buy a Yamaha car in the first few years if it were half the price.

Think back about the Honda cars first in North America, Kia, Lada. All
written up as complete junk. They rusted out and fell apart. Now where is
Honda and Lada. Much better I am told,especially Honda. For Toyota, I
beleive they always had good quality in this continent.