Do you feel Lucky?

Old September 14th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default Do you feel Lucky?

Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have bought it, but did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

Is their black and white film any good? Is it worth persuing?

Thanks,

Geoff.

Old September 14th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 9/14/2008 1:14 PM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have bought it, but did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

Is their black and white film any good? Is it worth persuing?

Dunno.

Buy a roll, shoot it, get it printed. And look at the negatives; you'll
probably be able to ID the manufacturer. (I bought some off-off-brand
color negative film a few years ago for about a buck a roll that turned
out to be made by Agfa. There are only a few manufacturers out there.)

- Paulo Freire
Old September 14th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 9/14/2008 1:14 PM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have bought it, but did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

Is their black and white film any good? Is it worth persuing?

Aaaargh, should have put brain in gear before engaging mouth. It occurs
to me you're talking about Chinese film, correct? (I was assuming
American, German or Japanese.)

- Paulo Freire
Old September 14th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 9/14/2008 1:14 PM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw
their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have
bought it, but did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

Is their black and white film any good? Is it worth
persuing?

Aaaargh, should have put brain in gear before engaging
mouth. It occurs to me you're talking about Chinese film,
correct? (I was assuming American, German or Japanese.)

Lucky is Chinese, they have a factory. I have heard
rumors that Kodak co-operated in setting it up but I don't
know for certain that its true. I suspect that they may have
the QC problems that seem to plague Chinese manufactured
goods.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old September 14th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Peter Irwin

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have bought it, but did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

Is their black and white film any good? Is it worth persuing?

I bought 10 rolls of Lucky SHD-100 B&W film a few years ago.

The best thing about the film is that it came in reloadable
135 magazines which are better than the ones I've seen for sale
lately. They might even be as good as the ones Kodak used to
have before they started crimping the ends. These are well made
and they come apart nicely in the darkroom when I give the knob
a firm tap on the table. (The ones from Maco are not nearly as nice.)

The film base is very clear, not grey. Grain is pretty fine,
normal for a conventional 100 speed film - much finer than
Svema 100. The emulsion seems to get scratch marks much more
easily than modern capitalist films. I've never had a problem
with Kodak, Ilford, Fuji or Agfa.

Peter.

Old September 14th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John J

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have bought it, but did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

Who's film?
Old September 14th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 9/14/2008 3:48 PM John J spake thus:

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have bought it, but did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

Who's film?

I dunno; are you film?

Oh, you meant "whose film"?

- Paulo Freire
Old September 14th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 9/14/2008 3:39 PM Peter Irwin spake thus:

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have bought it, but did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

The film base is very clear, not grey. Grain is pretty fine,
normal for a conventional 100 speed film - much finer than
Svema 100. The emulsion seems to get scratch marks much more
easily than modern capitalist films. I've never had a problem
with Kodak, Ilford, Fuji or Agfa.

Ah, comrade, if you're getting scratches, the problem is your capitalist
camera, not the people's film.

- Paulo Freire
Old September 15th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John J

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have bought it, but
did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).

Who's film?

I dunno; are you film?

Oh, you meant "whose film"?

No, no! Who's on first base.
Old September 15th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Seriously, anyone have any comments on their film? I saw their ISO 100
color film in a store today. I probably should have bought it, but
did not.
(It wasn't a camera store).
Who's film?

I dunno; are you film?

Oh, you meant "whose film"?

No, no! Who's on first base.

Right.

^^-^^ 22:20:01 up 39 days, 4:26, 3 users, load average: 4.01, 4.03, 4.04