Dangers in copying pics from camera to computer

Old February 7th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.comp

Default Dangers in copying pics from camera to computer

In rec.photo.digital KewlKiwi wrote:
Bill Funk wrote:

So far, I've seen nothing to actually convince me that the camera
charges its battery using power from the computer's USB system. What I
do see is a manual that mentions absolutely nothing about charging in
any way other than connecting the charger.
Now, while I suppose it's possible, I still don't see it.

Please see my post to Mark.

I guess the only way you two will be convinced is if you buy it
yourselves! Rather an expensive way to lose an argument though...

It would be nice if (either of you) can explain just why you are so
*sure* it is impossible for a camera to be charged from a computer's USB
port?
Other than the fact there's not much in the way of amps, just what is
the problem?

/mild sarcasm/
Is it perhaps a 'special' sort of electricity that comes out of a USB
host that makes it unusable for charging batteries?
/end sarcasm/

There is no reason why a camera battery can't be rechared via
a USB port.

However, that does not mean that it is possible for any given
camera. It is quite possible to have a working USB port and
not take a charge through it -- and there are any number of
reasons (cost, weight, etc.) why you might not want the camera
battery recharged that way.

Manuals ought to be more specific about this situation.

---- Paul J. Gans
Old February 7th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.comp

With any transfer from a battery powered device you should always use
an AC adapter. Just a safe rule of thumb. But as far as damage goes i
can't really imagine anything big happening, if anything you may have
to format your card afterwards.

Old February 7th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.comp

In article , says...
There is no reason why a camera battery can't be rechared via
a USB port.

However, that does not mean that it is possible for any given
camera. It is quite possible to have a working USB port and
not take a charge through it -- and there are any number of
reasons (cost, weight, etc.) why you might not want the camera
battery recharged that way.

Manuals ought to be more specific about this situation.

---- Paul J. Gans

I purchased a Wolverine "Flashpac 7000 series" 40 gig pocket hard drive
with slots for all popular memory cards.

It comes with a rechargeable battery in it (lithium ion similar to those
in many cameras) and a charger pack (wall wart).

Imagine my surprise the first time I plugged it into the USB 2.0 port on
my computer when the "charge lamp" lit up before I turned it on...

I transferred my pictures and didnt think much about it 'till a week
later, when I decided to see if it was really charging when on the USB
port.

I ran the battery down loading the 40 gig hard drive with photos, then
hooked it up to the 'puter. Lo, and behold, there was suddenly enough
power available to transfer pictures, and later, when I shut the drive
off, but did not disconnect it from the computer, the charge light came
on and the battery took on a full charge, while I did some work with the
'puter.

No mention of this feature is made in the manual for the drive, nor is
there any mention on the website for Wolverine... but it does charge
itself that way.

I only mention this to point out that, sometimes, some of our gear is
doing stuff we dont know about, and dont have control over.

Larry Lynch
Mystic Ct

Old February 7th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.comp

KewlKiwi wrote in :

What I'm surprised at is that there aren't more cameras that can
(re)charge via the USB port. Most of them, after all, do have a USB
socket to connect to the computer, and that socket can supply 5 volts
(albeit at a low wattage) so why not take advantage of it while the
camera is connected to d/l photos?

You're surprised there is one such camera, I'm surprised there aren't
a lot of them.

To be honest, if there were 2 models of the same camera for the same price
- one with the ability to charge through the USB port and the other using a
separate socket for the power adaptor which couldn't charge through the USB
port - I would choose the one that didn't charge from the USB.

There are reasons why people may not want the device to draw power from the
USB port, one is that the port could be shared with a mouse or keyboard and
plugging in a device that sucks power from the port will cause a problem
for other devices that attempt to power themselves from the USB port at the
same time.

I have a printer and a scanner that both plug into the USB port, but both
get their power from power adaptors. My Pocket PC also powers itself from
a separate power adaptor. If all these devices were designed to get their
power from the USB port then I would have a big problem, with not enough
power to go around.

My camera works just fine with a separate charger to charge the batteries.

BTW
I wouldn't mind the USB charging so much if you could control it - decide
whether to let the camera run on battery power or separate power or USB
power. Without the control it has the potential to be a damn nuisance.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade
Old February 8th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.comp

Wakke wrote:
With any transfer from a battery powered device you should always
use
an AC adapter. Just a safe rule of thumb. But as far as damage goes
can't really imagine anything big happening, if anything you may
have
to format your card afterwards.

I always format my card afterwards. I used to have a cigarette, too,
but I quit smoking.

--
Frank ess