Olympus low pricing; Never again?

Old July 30th 05, 04:19 AM
RichA

Default Olympus low pricing; Never again?

Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
as well. It's possible this will never happen again.
Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs
and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
moment. I'm pretty certain something radically different
(better?) is coming from them, but the urge to get
something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
strong.
Old July 30th 05, 08:09 AM
Pete D

"RichA" wrote in message
Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
as well. It's possible this will never happen again.

Yeah right, of course they will drop again.

Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs

By who's reckoning? Did you review them?

and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
moment.

If they are high end the how are they replacments? They would just be
"other" cameras in the range.

I'm pretty certain something radically different
(better?)

Better? go figure???

is coming from them, but the urge to get
something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
strong.

One day Rich I am sure you will stop trolling and actually buy one and take
some photos. We live for the day.

Old July 30th 05, 09:57 AM
RichA

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 07:09:40 GMT, "Pete D" wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message
.. .
Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
as well. It's possible this will never happen again.

Yeah right, of course they will drop again.

Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs

By who's reckoning? Did you review them?

Well, the E-300 isn't all plastic, like some other cameras at the
entry level and the E-1 is in a class above the Canon 20D in terms of
build quality. Aside from the top end Canon and Nikons, there is
nothing comparable to it as far as build quality goes.

and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
moment.

If they are high end the how are they replacments? They would just be
"other" cameras in the range.

One is to replace the E-1 which is high end.

I'm pretty certain something radically different
(better?)

Better? go figure???

is coming from them, but the urge to get
something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
strong.

One day Rich I am sure you will stop trolling and actually buy one and take
some photos. We live for the day.

The only people who think "troll" are those unintelligent enough and
rabid enough to be baited by something completely harmless.
Besides, I have taken photos with them. I just haven't bought one
of them yet.
The DSLR people could take a hint from the prosumer users and try
taking some pictures for a change though. You look at the forums on
dpreview and most of the posts for the DSLR groups are endless
discussions of which lens to buy next and how it's taking more and
more money from them whereas the prosumers posts tend to include FAR
more actual pictures taken.
-Rich
Old July 30th 05, 01:19 PM
Pete D

"RichA" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 07:09:40 GMT, "Pete D" wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You need to get on some different forums then like I do, join one that is
about photography not about mines bigger than yours.

Old July 30th 05, 02:25 PM
Skip M

"RichA" wrote in message
Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
as well. It's possible this will never happen again.
Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs
and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
moment. I'm pretty certain something radically different
(better?) is coming from them, but the urge to get
something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
strong.

Comparing the E-1 to the current crop of entry level cameras isn't really
fair. It was introduced as a pro level camera, but at mid level pricing, a
strategy that could have been devastating to the market, had the camera not
had a small sensor with fewer pixels than even the entry level cameras from
all the other manufacturers. Its construction is on a par with the 20D, for
instance, but with weather sealing that comes close to the 1D. But it was
only 5mp. Had it been introduced with the sensor that the Evolt/E-300 has,
it might have made some serious inroads, especially if the lenses currently
in the lineup were there upon its introduction.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 30th 05, 02:27 PM
Skip M

"Pete D" wrote in message

"RichA" wrote in message
Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
as well. It's possible this will never happen again.

Yeah right, of course they will drop again.

Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs

By who's reckoning? Did you review them?

and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
moment.

If they are high end the how are they replacments? They would just be
"other" cameras in the range.

When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...

Old July 30th 05, 04:11 PM
SMS

RichA wrote:
Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
body and two zooms.

It's like GM, Ford, and Chrysler dropping prices to clear out their
massive 2005 inventory that no one wants to buy, while at the same time
Toyota announces a price increase.

The Olympus D-SLRs with the 4:3 standard should be avoided at all costs.
See "http://digitalslrinfo.com/" for more information.
Old July 30th 05, 04:11 PM
SMS

Skip M wrote:

When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...

So was the Sigma SD9.

Old July 30th 05, 04:16 PM
Alan Browne

RichA wrote:

moment. I'm pretty certain something radically different
(better?) is coming from them, but the urge to get
something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
strong.

What lenses / flash system do you currently own? Where do you want to
leverage your investment? Where do you want to lock yourself in?

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 30th 05, 04:57 PM
SMS

Alan Browne wrote:
RichA wrote:

moment. I'm pretty certain something radically different
(better?) is coming from them, but the urge to get something now to
take advantage of the pricing today is
strong.

What lenses / flash system do you currently own? Where do you want to
leverage your investment? Where do you want to lock yourself in?

I think that for Olympus to survive in the D-SLR market, the next
generation is going to have to be radically different. This must mean
that they are abandoning 4:3 and moving to a larger, lower-noise,
sensor. I wonder what lens mount they will use.