Student Film Camera suggestions?

Old January 19th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kinon O'Cann

Default Student Film Camera suggestions?

"Chris Lott" wrote in message
My son (a high school freshman) is taking a beginning photography
course and needs a 35 mm film camera. Her requirements are that it is
35mm, has manual mode, that you can adjust shutter speed & aperture.
She mentioned an acronym: SPAM, which I guess is shutter, aperture,
something, manual?

Based on some web research, I was thinking something along the lines
of a solid Minolta SRT or Nikon FE. What would you recommend?

Pls, no debate about requiring a film camera necessary

Get something that can use your stuff, if possible. My son, also a freshman
taking a photo course, is using a Canon Rebel T2 which meets all the
requirements. He loves it, and it can use any of my lenses. There's lots of
good choices.

You don't need to default to an older style camera to use film...

Old January 19th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Jan 16, 8:10*pm, Chris Lott wrote:
My son (a high school freshman) is taking a beginning photography
course and needs a 35 mm film camera.

Show the kid you love him and buy him a Canon 1V and a case of
condoms. He'll be sure to get straight A's from his female teacher
since Chicks dig the Fabulous EOS-1V! It is a little known fact that
most of these student-teacher relationships you read about started
when the kid brought the Fabulous EOS-1V to school. Waving that big
beautiful Canon body in front of a hot teacher is like rubbin fresh
catnip on a cat.
Trust me, I know. Of course, my teacher's name was Mr. Murrah.

Old January 19th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pat[_6_]

On Jan 16, 11:45 pm, TH O wrote:
In article ,
That Rich wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:10:27 -0800 (PST), Chris Lott
wrote:

My son (a high school freshman) is taking a beginning photography
course and needs a 35 mm film camera. Her requirements are that it is
35mm, has manual mode, that you can adjust shutter speed & aperture.
She mentioned an acronym: SPAM, which I guess is shutter, aperture,
something, manual?

Based on some web research, I was thinking something along the lines
of a solid Minolta SRT or Nikon FE. What would you recommend?

Pls, no debate about requiring a film camera necessary

Both would be good choices. I think any decent slr made before 1990
would satisfy your needs. Most of these can be had for under $100 US
with a 50mm lens.

Good luck to your son. Hope he enjoys his classes.

RP©

Pentax K1000s have always been popular in photo 101 classes.

Here's another consideration -- choose a different camera manufacturer
than yours so he can't borrow your lenses!

Ditto on K1000. Great camera, inexpensive, and nearly indestructible.

Old January 19th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JD

Norm Fleming wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message

I love my Olympus OM2 and the lenses are plentiful, inexpensive and

optically excellent. It has program mode, aperture priority, shutter
priority and full manual. Fabulous camera.
--
Michael

Over many years I have used a whole range of Nikons, Canons, Pentaxs and
Minoltas. But my absolute favourite is the old Olympus OM1. Pure
minimalism! No program mode of any kind. Totally manual. Totally
mechanical. You set the shutter speed and f stop. The meter gave up years
ago, so I use sunny 16, or a hand held meter for tricky light. This little
camera is a gem. Small size, beautifully engineered, solid as a rock.

Stay away from Olympus, I have enought competition on Ebay without
adding to the mix.

JD
Old January 21st 08, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 16, 5:10*pm, Chris Lott wrote:
My son (a high school freshman) is taking a beginning photography
course and needs a 35 mm film camera. Her requirements are that it is
35mm, has manual mode, that you can adjust shutter speed & aperture.
She mentioned an acronym: SPAM, which I guess is shutter, aperture,
something, manual?

Based on some web research, I was thinking something along the lines
of a solid Minolta SRT or Nikon FE. What would you recommend?

Pls, no debate about requiring a film camera necessary

During my two courses in photography at a community college with a
dark room I recommend a Pentax K-1000. The rewind crank button got
jammed and I forced it and it broke. But it survived for at least a
year.
Photography is expensive; you purchase all materials. I found the
paper
to be the most expensive and a beginner goes through alot. I
developed,
fixed and stopped my own B&W film which is what you'll be shooting
in a beginner's class. Never have taken color. You can get a used
good Pentax K-1000 with 50mm lense for under $200.00 at a photo
store like Penn Exchange.Color is simpler than B&W yet at the same
time the process is more complex.

Michael Ragland
Old January 21st 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jim Nason

On 2008-01-16 20:10:27 -0500, Chris Lott said:

My son (a high school freshman) is taking a beginning photography
course and needs a 35 mm film camera. Her requirements are that it is
35mm, has manual mode, that you can adjust shutter speed & aperture.
She mentioned an acronym: SPAM, which I guess is shutter, aperture,
something, manual?

Based on some web research, I was thinking something along the lines
of a solid Minolta SRT or Nikon FE. What would you recommend?

Pls, no debate about requiring a film camera necessary

Nikon n90s.. newer than the rest with autofocus and automation as well
as full manual control Once the class is over, some automation is a
nice thing.

--
jen ... not.. home...//// yahoo... com

Old January 21st 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

wrote in message
On Jan 16, 5:10 pm, Chris Lott wrote:
My son (a high school freshman) is taking a beginning photography
course and needs a 35 mm film camera. Her requirements are that it is
35mm, has manual mode, that you can adjust shutter speed & aperture.
She mentioned an acronym: SPAM, which I guess is shutter, aperture,
something, manual?

My guess is, Shutter, Program, Aperture, Manual. (Modes)

Old January 23rd 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alvaro[_2_]

There so many suitable cameras for manual photography., just think on a
cheap camera with a large lens stuff to be able to choose among several
possibilities. Have a look on Nikon FE or FM, legendary brands, long
time workhorses on most part of conditions and excellent quality-price
relationship. Minolta could be also a good choice but its lenses and
accessories are more difficult to find than the Nikon's ones.
Cheers,
Alvaro

Old January 26th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael[_6_]

Chris Lott wrote:
My son (a high school freshman) is taking a beginning photography
course and needs a 35 mm film camera. Her requirements are that it is
35mm, has manual mode, that you can adjust shutter speed & aperture.
She mentioned an acronym: SPAM, which I guess is shutter, aperture,
something, manual?

Based on some web research, I was thinking something along the lines
of a solid Minolta SRT or Nikon FE. What would you recommend?

Pls, no debate about requiring a film camera necessary

I wrote earlier in support of the Olympus OM line, but my son has an
old used Konica and I found the lenses quite reasonable at KEF.
--
Michael