NIKON F10...... FUNNY AND SAD

Old January 20th 08, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default NIKON F10...... FUNNY AND SAD

wrote:
There are also so many choices! It's overwhelming. I recently saw the
NIKON 35mm film F5 and it
looks impressive; just as good as as the HP3. I saw B&H offerring a
few used models. Body about
$400.00 to $500.00.

KEH has "users" from $400, too.

Then I need an autofocus lense since apparently
this camera is autofocus. My
hunch it is not totally manual but can be made manual. How do
autofocus lenses works?

When Nikon first made autofocus lenses, they copied the Minolta
"look" with a very thin manual focusing ring on the front of the
lens and a very range from closest focusing to inifinty.

The lenses were not well received amoung professionals who wanted
to use them both in manual and autofocus. Nikon changed the ergonomics
of the lenses to a similar pattern to the older lenses.

They are not exactly the same, the manual focus lenses use a
helical focusing mechanism which was very expensive to make.
The autofocus lenses us a rack an pinion mechanism similar
to the steering on expensive cars. It was so much cheaper to
manufacture that the equivalent autofocus lens was 30% cheaper
than the manual focus one.

Here is a photo of a new version 50mm f1.8

http://www.keh.com/ProductImages/ful...6010200583.jpg

Note that the focusing ring is large enough to use comfortably
and looking at the other end of the lens, it has the necessary
meter couplings to work with any AI type meter (1977 on),
and what you can't see is that it is AIs, so it will work
with manual focus cameras that require it.

The F3, F4 and F5 and many of the autofocus cameras will
meter with AI or AIs lenses, usually in very limited
(center weighted) aperture priority and manual modes.

The F3 and F4 will also meter in stopped down mode with
pre-AI (made before mid 1977) lenses by pushing a little
button on the coupling ring and pivoting the sensor pin
out of the way. Not all lenses work, some protrude too
far into the camera and can damage the electronic contacts.

Considering we are talking about lenses that were made over
30 years ago, it is probably a moot point.

The F5 may also have the ability to move the sensor pin,
I don't know.

The actual autofocusing mechanism is in the camera, not the lens,
so if you set the camera to manual focus, the lens focuses
manualy. If you get a newer design lens (which almost all of
them are) then it works just like a manual focus lens when
in manual focus mode, but it won't be as stiff or likely
to jam from age.

I think that the only functions on the F5 that can not be made
manual are film wind and rewind.

I will check
out Adorama plus Penn Exchange near where I live. I don't mind bells
and whistles but I also want
simplicity. I'm shooting some ISO color high definition film to see
how it turns out. Does F5 comptatible
with motorpak. I thought it could take 10 frames a shot.

Personally, I would buy a "user" 8008 from KEH and try it.
It's a cheap investment and would give you a good feel
how Nikon autofocus cameras work. If you like it, buy an
F5 and keep the 8008 for a spare. If you don't buy an F3.

Note that ISO is the name of a standards organization,
in this case used to define the sensitivity of the film.
The number after the ISO is the speed and is the important
part.

So if you say "100 speed color film" or "100 color film",
we will understand that it is ISO 100 color film, but just saying
ISO color film, leaves us wondering what it is. :-)

Since you are trying this to see if you like it, I would use
the same film you are going to us normally in it.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old January 20th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

TH O wrote:
Amazing ... one of the best cameras of its generation is available for
only $21. It's plastic but it is built like a tank.

Considering that Nikon dropped the high eyepoint finder on the
N80, and the "5" generation (N75/N65/N55) it's still one of
the best around.

It takes AA batteries which are available almost anywhere batteries
are sold.

The autofocus is slow by modern standards and it does not have a
built in flash, but I'm not sure either is a minus.

Old January 20th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 20, 12:29*am, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
wrote:
[...]

ISO 400 KODAK HIGH DEFINITION FILM. I'm aware the slower the film the
more
clear the photos are; the only down side using slower shutter speeds,
perhaps a
tripod. 400 ISO suppose to be granier since it is used in dim light.
So I was curious
about this "high definition" ISO KODAK 400 color film.

Sincerely,
Michael Ragland

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM

Old January 20th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
[...]

You don't need autofocus lenses if you own an F5. Most of my lenses are
manual focus. I can either switch autofocus off, or leave it on, and use the
little green indicator in the viewfinder to tell me when I am in focus. IOW,
the autofocus still works, but you have to twist the lens focus ring
manually. the camera will then tell you when you are focused through the
viewfinder indicator.

Also, the film can still be rewound manually on the F5. There is a little
crank than can be deployed. I do this in order to save battery power unless
I am in such a hurry that I am willing to spend battery power to get it
rewound ASAP. Otherwise, I will crank it back into the canister by hand.

At 4 to 5 hundred dollars, the F5 is one of the best buys in a film camera
on the market today.

Funny SMS fazi Digital Photography 0 July 16th 07 09:31 AM
%%%%HOW TO BE FUNNY!%%%% Expert Humor Medium Format Photography Equipment 0 March 31st 06 04:14 PM
%%%%HOW TO BE FUNNY!%%%% Expert Humor 35mm Photo Equipment 0 March 31st 06 04:03 PM
%%%%HOW TO BE FUNNY!%%%% Expert Humor Medium Format Photography Equipment 0 March 31st 06 07:09 AM
Funny Focus Problem in Nikon D70..... mert Digital Photography 10 October 4th 04 02:57 PM