Canon PowerShot S1 IS -- Theater Photos

Old July 20th 04, 01:09 AM
Renee

Default Canon PowerShot S1 IS -- Theater Photos

Hi everyone

I posted some new photos. These were taken in a dark theater where flash
photography wasn't allowed. Nothing too creative, just some snapshots, but
they were a challenge nonetheless.

If you'd like to take a look, go to
http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1D8117D8

If you don't want to register, choose
Already A Member
Email Address:
Password: guest

(The site will store these photos for 90 days.)

All the photos were taken using the zoom. Two of the shows I sat midway from
the rear of theater. The last show I sat at the rear of the theater. Gotta
love that zoom!

There was a lot of dancing and movement and most of my photos taken during
the first night's show came out blurry. I was using Program and Auto mode.
The second show I went to I played with the settings a little in order to
freeze the action. At first I tried the Shutter Priority mode at all
different values, but the pictures were too dark. (I forgot to try changing
the ISO values.) Then I used the fast shutter creative mode and had much
better results.

The LCD would have disturbed the audience so having the electronic
viewfinder was nice. I was able to see my settings clearly in the dark as I
changed them and experimented.

I turned off the flash. But every time I turned the dial to Auto (and some
other setting I forgot), the flash would pop up. Flipped me out every time
it happened because I was afraid it was going to go off after I realized
what was happening. Luckily I caught it and stopped taking the picture in
time!

Unfortunately some of the theater pictures were set to 1024 x 768 but I'm
only going to get 4 x 6 prints made, so that's ok. I'll be more careful next
time, though.

All comments and suggestions are welcome!

Bye!

Renee

P.S. Questions for Sleeperman:

What happens when you use the Fast Shutter creative mode, and have manually
set your ISO to 50 or 100? And how bad does the noise look in these? (ISO
was set to Auto -- I forgot to set it to 50 or 100 like you told me!)

Old July 20th 04, 01:43 AM
Renee

"Renee" wrote in message
om...

P.S. Questions for Sleeperman:

What happens when you use the Fast Shutter creative mode, and have

manually
set your ISO to 50 or 100?

Well, just found the answer to one of my questions. The manual says that
the ISO setting cannot be changed when using Fast Shutter creative mode. You
can only change it in P, Tv, Av, and M modes.

Old July 20th 04, 01:44 AM
Jerry

Looks like your ISO was set perfect.
Higher ISO used in lower light.
Lower ISO used in brighter light.
So use the 50 ISO on the beach where there is glare from the bright Sun.
ISO 400 in Caves and not pointed at the candles or flashlights.
The one picture I saw looked like a Broadway Play or something.
Nice Photo regardless!

Jerry

Old July 20th 04, 01:59 AM
Ed

Renee,
Nice theatre shots. What ISO and what shutter speed did you use? Were you
set to manual mode? When I shoot theatre with my Olympus C-750, I use
shutter priority and select 1/60 second if there a lot of light or down to
about 1/15 if the light is poor. I have to use a tripod since I don't have
IS.
Ed

om...

Old July 20th 04, 02:11 AM
Renee

"Jerry" wrote in message
nk.net...
Looks like your ISO was set perfect.
Higher ISO used in lower light.
Lower ISO used in brighter light.
So use the 50 ISO on the beach where there is glare from the bright Sun.
ISO 400 in Caves and not pointed at the candles or flashlights.
The one picture I saw looked like a Broadway Play or something.
Nice Photo regardless!

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry!

I took some far-off photos of the islands in the early mornings from the
deck of the cruise ship. Some of them came out very misty looking. But I
don't remember it being misty or foggy out those mornings. Do you think that
was the effect of not having lowered my ISO and getting glare from the
morning sun?

Old July 20th 04, 02:28 AM
Renee

"Ed" ekirstein_atcatskill.net wrote in message
Renee,
Nice theatre shots. What ISO and what shutter speed did you use? Were

you
set to manual mode? When I shoot theatre with my Olympus C-750, I use
shutter priority and select 1/60 second if there a lot of light or down to
about 1/15 if the light is poor. I have to use a tripod since I don't

have
IS.
Ed

Hi Ed,

I wasn't sure if the IS made a difference on these, but it sounds like
you're confirming that it does. B-T-W, do theaters actually let you bring in
a tripod these days?!?

In all cases the camera's ISO was set to Auto. My EXIF data doesn't say what
the ISO is when Auto is used. It just says Auto.

I didn't set any of these photos to manual mode. They were either Program,
Auto, or Fast Shutter creative mode, so in all cases the shutter was
automatically set for me. I can look at the EXIF data to get the exact
shutter speeds on each of them, as they all differ from each other.

If you give me the photo caption (it's actually the filename) of the ones
you're curious about, I'll post the EXIF data on it for you.

I have some photos I didn't post with this lot because Fast Shutter creative
mode didn't help. The one of Tarzan swinging around a rope was simply one
big blur. That's where knowing how to use shutter priority correctly would
have been a big help. Or I wonder if some cameras just can't handle it no
matter what the setting is.

Old July 20th 04, 02:32 AM
Jerry

Renee, Possible that you didn't notice any Fog with your naked eye.
My wife says that our A80 sees things we can't with our naked eyes.
But other wise you may have had it set to ISO higher than 100 or Aperture
open all the way.
These Camera's are AWESOME!

Good Luck!

Old July 21st 04, 03:33 PM
SleeperMan

Renee typed:

"SleeperMan" wrote in message
SleeperMan typed:

snip

see this link:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

it's review of S1 - at the bottom, you have test shots in night
mode, made with various ISO settings - there you can clearly see
increasing amount of noise - of course those shots were made with
tripod and target was not moving... :-)

Yes, thanks.

Off-the-subject, one of the reviewer's complaints was "...the
electronic viewfinder was too dark to see in dim lighting." I don't
know what he's talking about. I used the EVF in near-pitch darkness
in the theater and had no problems seeing the image or the settings.
What is he referring to?

Good question...
Maybe he thinks that it's hard to see in bright light - i.e. sunny day, but
even then it can be seen.

B-T-W, I was familiar enough with where the Function and Omni buttons
and Dial were that I was able to use them without seeing them in the
dark. I had previously been concerned about not being able to use
them when the time came.

Same here. It's just a matter of knowing the camera. If you practice enough,
you don't need to see any of the buttons. It's just like driving a car -
when you're familiar with it, you don't have to look anything to turn it on
or off...