Omega D color head question

Old September 30th 04, 09:26 PM
David Starr

Default Omega D color head question

I recently got a Super Chromega D color head via ebay. It came
mounted on an aluminum plate. There's 2 "arms" on the plate that mate
with the lifting arm screws. It also has a hole in each corner that
appear to be mounting holes. When I held it against the wall, the
head aims straight down. Any idea what the plate is? A mount for
store display?

Professional Shop Rat: 14,481 days in a GM plant.
Old September 30th 04, 11:34 PM
Gregory Blank

Typical mounting levers for the D5 have four arms two each side (right
and left).

Each set is spaced with a single rod between the right and left
arm set, their is an upper set and a lower set.

Their is a longer lift lever on the left side for raising and
lowering the lamphouse. I found it is easiest if two people mount the
arms and head. The rod portion of the lever sets go through the
notches found on the enlarger chassis (at the top) The rod also
must have two "D" rings one on each side to the brace the upper rod
against the lower rod to keep the lower rod stable.

IIRC the D ring has a small hole for a machine screw that screws into
the small holes, (one per side) found on the chassis.

Omega has an instruction sheet for each of the various incarnations
you can probably call them and they will fax the instruction to you
how you need to measure the rods an provide them this info so they
send the correct plan. Also you may need to determine which chassis you
in fact have, The Dichro II head was mounted on several types of chassis.

800-777-6634. select 4 at the prompt for customer service.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 1st 04, 11:12 PM
David Starr

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:34:56 GMT, Gregory Blank
wrote:

Typical mounting levers for the D5 have four arms two each side (right
and left).

Each set is spaced with a single rod between the right and left
arm set, their is an upper set and a lower set.

I've got the head mounted on the enlarger. I removed the plate I was
asking about before mounting the head. I'm just wondering what the
original purpose of the plate was.

BTW, ever see a tall enlarger in a short darkroom? A D5XL in a room
with an 81" ceiling looks massive! The easel will be 20" above the
floor. I'll have to cut an inexpensive wooden-legged kitchen stool
down to 12" or so, or buy kneepads! :-)

Professional Shop Rat: 14,481 days in a GM plant.
Old October 2nd 04, 12:22 AM
Gregory Blank

Not sure what plate your referring to "post a shot
of it and I'll tell you", at one point I had
many of the D5Xl part numbers memorized,...
not easy as many are nine and ten digit numbers.

If you think thats good I should show you my prototype
table top 8x10 enlarger, I mounted it on a custom made shelf
inside the double door walk way of my small 10x12' darkroom.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 2nd 04, 08:29 AM

I saw that enlarger head.. It looked like it might have been used for
some sort of slide copy device..

BTW, ever see a tall enlarger in a short darkroom? A D5XL in a room
with an 81" ceiling looks massive! The easel will be 20" above the
floor. I'll have to cut an inexpensive wooden-legged kitchen stool
down to 12" or so, or buy kneepads! :-)

Yep... 24" above the floor. The enlarger is on a roll around cart and
the column just clears the ceiling. The short chair and fine grain
focus device makes for real interesting focusing when the head is far
from the easel (35mm negative with 80mm lens printing 8x10). Need arms
like a gorrilla..

8) Jeff

Professional Shop Rat: 14,481 days in a GM plant.