Woo - Ultra II CF !

Old September 1st 04, 11:00 AM
adm

Default Woo - Ultra II CF !

Just got a SanDisk Ultra II 512Mb Cf card for my D70 to go with my ageing 1G
IBM microdrive - and I have to say, it's MUCH faster. Both in writing to
disk for continuous shooting as well as reading for display
etc....Surprisingly (for me), the speed improvement is most noticeable with
RAW files.

That's all - I'm a happy camper and would recommend the Ultra II cards to
anyone looking for FAST storage...

Old September 1st 04, 06:34 PM
Alan Browne

adm wrote:

etc....Surprisingly (for me), the speed improvement is most noticeable with
RAW files.

...probably does RAW - JPEG conversion on the fly while
storing, so that would slow it down. RAW is pretty much straight
copy.

That's all - I'm a happy camper and would recommend the Ultra II cards to
anyone looking for FAST storage...

It'll get faster, bigger, more.

Old September 1st 04, 06:54 PM
adm

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
adm wrote:

etc....Surprisingly (for me), the speed improvement is most noticeable

with
RAW files.

...probably does RAW - JPEG conversion on the fly while
storing, so that would slow it down. RAW is pretty much straight
copy.

I suppose so.

That's all - I'm a happy camper and would recommend the Ultra II cards

anyone looking for FAST storage...

It'll get faster, bigger, more.

Absolutely.....it's all good !

Old September 1st 04, 10:36 PM
Rick

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:34:15 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Alan Browne
wrote:

adm wrote:

etc....Surprisingly (for me), the speed improvement is most noticeable with
RAW files.

...probably does RAW - JPEG conversion on the fly while
storing, so that would slow it down. RAW is pretty much straight
copy.

Or given the fact the NEFF file is bigger it takes longer to write the neff
so decreases in write time are noticeable to the user? The D-70 is able to
take advantage of these faster cards, unlike my CP-5700. On the 5700 write
times of raw take ~20 sec no matter if I use an old Lexar 8x 128MB card of
my newer Lexar 40XWA 1GB card.

You can't go by Lexar. They use a hokey acceleration method
that only works with certain cameras. Get SanDisk Ultra II
and you'll see a major difference.

Rick