WAKING UP WITH THE FABULOUS 40D !

Old September 21st 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
woods

Default WAKING UP WITH THE FABULOUS 40D !

In article .com,
Annika1980 wrote:

Nothing like waking up in the morning with a
brand new camera and a nice hummer!

nice shots.

anything you dislike about the 40D?
Old September 21st 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
D-MAC

"Mick Brown" wrote in message
. ..
Annika1980 wrote in news:1190298106.622050.181330
@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Nothing like waking up in the morning with a
brand new camera and a nice hummer!

Hi Brett,

I know I can say this to you as you take critiques well :-)

Is it me or is his/her chest a little blown? It may be my screen.

Mick Brown

Oh yeah... If I'd have asked the questions about noise, clarity and
definition which all seem to be missing, I'd have been accused of having an
axe to grind.
They are far from impressive examples.

Tony Polson git it right when he remarked on the composition but hey,
technically I'd need to see lot better before I'd rush out and buy one.
Maybe that's why Canon use 20D images to promote the camera?

Doug

Old September 21st 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Carl Neil Ellwood

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 07:21:46 -0700, Annika1980 wrote:

Nothing like waking up in the morning with a
brand new camera and a nice hummer!

Bret - you ruffled his feathers.

--
Neil
Old September 21st 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Sep 21, 3:04 am, "D-Mac" wrote:

Oh yeah... If I'd have asked the questions about noise, clarity and
definition which all seem to be missing, I'd have been accused of having an
axe to grind.
They are far from impressive examples.

Here is a full-size crop. You can judge for yourself.

Old September 21st 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Sep 21, 1:23 am, woods wrote:

nice shots.

anything you dislike about the 40D?

Like my 20D and the D60 before it, I can't autofocus using the f/5.6L
and the 1.4x. Unlike Canon's "1" series bodies the 40D only retains
autofocus with a minimum aperture of f/5.6. The "1" series cameras
will still autofocus up to a minimum aperture of f/8.

Also, the 40D really blazes through the CF card when you set it to
high-speed (6.5fps) shooting. So my current 1GB and 2GB cards aren't
going to get the job done. I'll be buying at least a 4Gb or 8GB card
soon.

Also, there is no ISO 100 setting. It only goes down to ISO 200,
although there is an Auto-ISO setting which changes ISO for you.

Everything else looks great. I'm still struggling with a few of the
Custom Functions having to do with AF point Selection and stuff, but
once I figure all that out I'll be rockin and rollin.

Old September 21st 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Beladi Nasralla

On Sep 20, 11:21 pm, Annika1980 wrote:
Nothing like waking up in the morning with a
brand new camera and a nice hummer!

I am impressed. For the first time. With Annika.

Old September 21st 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
soon.

Also, there is no ISO 100 setting. It only goes down to ISO 200,
although there is an Auto-ISO setting which changes ISO for you.

Oops. I'd better correct myself!
There is in fact an ISO 100 setting. The 40D has ISO settings from ISO 100
to ISO 3200 (ISO 3200 is obtained via a Custom Function. However, the 40D
has a Highlight Tone Priority mode which is useful for getting more detail
out of the highlights, such as a white wedding dress (are you listening,
D-Mac?). When you have the 40D set to Highlight Tone Priority the ISO range
shrinks to 200-1600. That's why I couldn't find the ISO 100 setting on my
40D. Guess I won't be using Highlight Tone Priority unless I decide to
shoot weddings.

Old September 21st 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sep 21, 3:04 am, "D-Mac" wrote:
"Mick Brown" wrote in message

. ..

Annika1980 wrote in news:1190298106.622050.181330
@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Nothing like waking up in the morning with a
brand new camera and a nice hummer!

Hi Brett,

I know I can say this to you as you take critiques well :-)

Is it me or is his/her chest a little blown? It may be my screen.

Mick Brown

Oh yeah... If I'd have asked the questions about noise, clarity and
definition which all seem to be missing, I'd have been accused of having an
axe to grind.
They are far from impressive examples.

Tony Polson git it right when he remarked on the composition but hey,
technically I'd need to see lot better before I'd rush out and buy one.
Maybe that's why Canon use 20D images to promote the camera?

Doug

Douglas, most people are going to take what you say with a grain of
salt. Had I bought Bret the 1Ds MKlll, you would have all negative
things to say about that too, as a matter of fact ANY camera I bought
for him. That green-eyed monster is taking over your soul. The best
cure for that is to buy yourself a new camera, lens, whatever.
Helen

Old September 21st 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
sheepdog 2007

On 2007-09-21 06:48:57 -0700, "Annika1980" said:

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
soon.

Also, there is no ISO 100 setting. It only goes down to ISO 200,
although there is an Auto-ISO setting which changes ISO for you.

Oops. I'd better correct myself!
There is in fact an ISO 100 setting. The 40D has ISO settings from ISO
100 to ISO 3200 (ISO 3200 is obtained via a Custom Function. However,
the 40D has a Highlight Tone Priority mode which is useful for getting
more detail out of the highlights, such as a white wedding dress (are
you listening, D-Mac?). When you have the 40D set to Highlight Tone
Priority the ISO range shrinks to 200-1600. That's why I couldn't find
the ISO 100 setting on my 40D. Guess I won't be using Highlight Tone
Priority unless I decide to shoot weddings.

My main source of disappointment with AE* in digital cameras is the
blown highlights. With film the quest was usually to get more shadow
detail. The cameras I'm using now are doing a good job on the shadows,
but highlights which should have detail are frequently overexposed. A
feature like the one you're describing would, for me at least, be
well-worth trading some ISO range. I use mostly aperture priority and
the quality @ 200 ISO is completely adequate. I'm shooting for prints
no larger than 8 x 10 and monitor display.

*The first TTL light meters I ever used were notorious for
underexposing dim scenes and overexposing bright ones. For years I was
in the habit of using bracketing AND dialing in correction when
shooting color film.
--
Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address
yourselves instead to the safety of the republic

Old September 21st 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital

"Carl Neil Ellwood" wrote in message

Bret - you ruffled his feathers.

Ain't the first time thats ever happened.