Can you name this camera?

Old March 1st 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Patrick L

Default Can you name this camera?

When I was a child of ten or eleven, my dad had an expensive camera (my mom
told me it cost $300, this was 1961)

I recall it looking similar to the leica's I've seen about this period.
It's body was like a rangefinder, though I can't say for certain if it had
a SLR hump on top, I don't remember, but the top and bottom were silvery,
like polished magnesium or aluminum (titanium?)
and the body was a dark leatherette.

I remember the aperture markings on the lens (I think it actually had the
term 'f/stop' on it), and on the front, just to the side of the lens, was a
spot where I could attach a mechanical wind up thingie that auto-released
the shutter.

I recently recalled the camera, how I fondly played with it and asked my
mother about it. She said it was made in germany, though she didn't recall
the name. So, what does that leave? A Leica or a Voigtlander?

Patrick

Old March 1st 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Starlord

Maybe an Exacta? but we need a photo of one.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

Old March 1st 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com

My father had a Zeis Ikon from the 50's that sounds like the camera that you
are describing. It had a photo cell light meter that you could to set the
exposure. The front lens element was attached to the the camera by a bellows.
It moved in and out to focus the camera. Everything folded up inside a door
when the camera was not in use.

Have a good day.

William

Old March 1st 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Patrick L" wrote
a rangefinder ... maybe an SLR ... I don't remember
... top and bottom were silvery ... body was a dark leatherette ...
aperture markings ... lens ...
a mechanical wind up thingie ... 60's ...
[what camera was it?]

That describes most 'expensive' 35mm cameras of the 60's.

Sorry to say your question is a bit like "My dad had
a car with four black wheels that contacted the road
and a place you could sit with another wheel in front
for steering. What make was it?"

Try looking at the pics on ebay and choose one that is
most like the camera you remember:

http://photography.listings.ebay.com...tingI temList

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation/index.htm

Old March 1st 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

Also try:

Old March 2nd 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Skip

"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
Maybe an Exacta? but we need a photo of one.

Old March 2nd 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Skip" wrote in message
"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
Maybe an Exacta? but we need a photo of one.

--

Here is one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KINE-EXACTA-I-ca...photoh osting