Top tips

Old November 2nd 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Alex

Default Top tips

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 05:36:38 -0800, "Skip"
wrote:

Actually, it's not that new. I have a photo annual from the late '40s that
has a couple of images done that way...

Only now, it's economical to do it since so few captures are any good
(even less than normal).

--
Alex
atheist #2007
Old November 2nd 06, 11:31 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
William Graham

"Skip" wrote in message
"Alex" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:25:47 +0000, Tony Polson
wrote:

"howard" wrote:

Not bad, but always wince whenever I hear that "painting with light"
stuff. It's usually the pretentious and self-indulgent photographers
that come out with that one. I'm surprised at you Tony. ;-)

Don't wince. "Painting with light" is the best and most accurate
description of photography that I have ever seen.

Yes, it has become a cliché. But that doesn't prevent it being true.

Actually, the term has become a new technique. So it's probably best
not to use it anymore, otherwise a quick Google search will result in
the newbie thinking he should go out and buy some flashlights:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22painting+with+light

--
Alex
atheist #2007

Actually, it's not that new. I have a photo annual from the late '40s
that has a couple of images done that way...

It's even older than that....Witness the paintings of some of the Dutch
masters, like Rembrandt and Vermeer........

Old November 3rd 06, 12:38 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Bandicoot

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
news
"howard" wrote:

Not bad, but always wince whenever I hear that "painting with light"
stuff. It's usually the pretentious and self-indulgent photographers
that come out with that one. I'm surprised at you Tony. ;-)

Don't wince. "Painting with light" is the best and most accurate
description of photography that I have ever seen.

Yes, it has become a cliché. But that doesn't prevent it being true.

The word really translates as 'writing with light' - which makes less sense
to me.

Peter

Old November 3rd 06, 12:39 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Bandicoot

"William Graham" wrote in message
[SNIP]

It's even older than that....Witness the paintings of some of the Dutch
masters, like Rembrandt and Vermeer........

Or, later, Joseph Wright of Derby - surely the ultimate exponent of
chiaroscuro.

Peter

Old November 3rd 06, 07:18 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Stewy

"howard" wrote:

Not bad, but always wince whenever I hear that "painting with light"
stuff. It's usually the pretentious and self-indulgent photographers
that come out with that one. I'm surprised at you Tony. ;-)

Don't wince. "Painting with light" is the best and most accurate
description of photography that I have ever seen.

Yes, it has become a cliché. But that doesn't prevent it being true.

The word really translates as 'writing with light' - which makes less sense
to me.

I still don't understand how Photonic torpedos work...
Old November 3rd 06, 10:29 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
ASAAR

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:18:04 +0900, Stewy wrote:

The word really translates as 'writing with light' - which makes less sense
to me.

I still don't understand how Photonic torpedos work...

It'll help if you can find an old Nikon service manual. The logic
and control circuitry borrowed extensively from the centuries old
Photomic T, one of the first photon controlled shooters.

Old November 3rd 06, 10:42 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Tony Polson

Stewy wrote:

I still don't understand how Photonic torpedos work...

It might help if you got the name right. They were Photon torpedoes.

;-)
Old November 3rd 06, 11:24 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Tony Polson

ASAAR wrote:

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:18:04 +0900, Stewy wrote:

The word really translates as 'writing with light' - which makes less sense
to me.

I still don't understand how Photonic torpedos work...

It'll help if you can find an old Nikon service manual. The logic
and control circuitry borrowed extensively from the centuries old
Photomic T, one of the first photon controlled shooters.

scotty

"It's the resistors, Jim! I canna' get any spares any more!"

/scotty

Old November 3rd 06, 02:16 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Bandicoot

Stewy wrote:

I still don't understand how Photonic torpedos work...

It might help if you got the name right. They were Photon torpedoes.

;-)

Though even that was presumably a misnomer - wouldn't the whole point be to
use anti-photons?

;-)

Peter

Old November 3rd 06, 03:19 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Philippe

Stewy wrote:

I still don't understand how Photonic torpedos work...

It might help if you got the name right. They were Photon torpedoes.

;-)

Though even that was presumably a misnomer - wouldn't the whole point be to
use anti-photons?

;-)

Peter

nonono.. you only did that when Kirk was cornered and considering
self-destruct.. What... every second episode or so?

P.

--
I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)

Top tips Kev Digital Photography 92 November 26th 06 06:00 PM
Top tips Kev Digital Photography 124 November 26th 06 01:52 PM
Top tips Kev 35mm Photo Equipment 116 November 26th 06 01:52 PM
10 tips on shooting pictures without viefinder Marek \Wayfarer\ Digital Point & Shoot Cameras 2 April 12th 06 02:44 PM
Restaurant/food promo photography - any tips? Lionel General Photography Techniques 1 May 28th 04 09:20 AM