150mm or 180mm lens?

Old March 3rd 04, 01:45 AM
Stacey

Default 150mm or 180mm lens?

Ed Margiewicz wrote:

Hello everyone,

I would like to buy a telephoto for my 501c hasselblad. Does anyone have
an
opinion on 150mm vs 180mm lens? I shoot primarily landscapes and on
occasion take some family portraits. Is the 180mm lens too tight for
portraits?

I like the 180 for children. I can stay far enough away so they don't "clam
up" and still get a tight shot. For indoor shooting in a small studio it
would probably be to long? I normally shoot portraits outdoors so never had
that problem.

Not sure on a blad but on a kiev/pentacon the 180mm f2.8 zeiss sonar is a
big heavy lens compared to the FSU 150mm f2.8 lens and they perform about
the same. The sonar has slightly smoother bokeh if you directly compare
them. Either one makes a nice portrait.

I'd try to handle them both before you buy.

--

Stacey
Old March 3rd 04, 02:05 AM
Bob Monaghan

see http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/hassy.html#150v180 and related postings
on the 150 vs. 180mm options etc. note the closer focusing head shots on
the 180 per some shooters.

related points on this in archives of hasselblad forum (see mf/lists.html
for signup info)...

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old March 3rd 04, 02:10 AM
Randall Ainsworth

I would like to buy a telephoto for my 501c hasselblad. Does anyone have an
opinion on 150mm vs 180mm lens? I shoot primarily landscapes and on
occasion take some family portraits. Is the 180mm lens too tight for
portraits?

I used the 150mm for many years. A 180mm would be a bit too longish.

Old March 3rd 04, 08:16 PM
Martin Francis

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
I would like to buy a telephoto for my 501c hasselblad. Does anyone

have an
opinion on 150mm vs 180mm lens? I shoot primarily landscapes and on
occasion take some family portraits. Is the 180mm lens too tight for
portraits?

I used the 150mm for many years. A 180mm would be a bit too longish.

I'm of the opposite opinion, though I don't have the same experience as
Randall. If it's down to a single choice, i'd go with the 180mm- it's easy
to stand further back and obtain the same repro ratio as a 150mm, but you
also have the option to go with the close-cropped headshot. You can't do
both with a 150mm unaided.

If I had the money, my ideal portrait outfit would contain a 120mm (well,
135mm- Bronica has no 120mm) and 180mm- as I don't have the money, I plan to
get the 180mm.

--
Here lies the late Martin Francis
He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss

Old March 4th 04, 12:25 AM
Randall Ainsworth

I'm of the opposite opinion, though I don't have the same experience as
Randall. If it's down to a single choice, i'd go with the 180mm- it's easy
to stand further back and obtain the same repro ratio as a 150mm, but you
also have the option to go with the close-cropped headshot. You can't do
both with a 150mm unaided.

If I had the money, my ideal portrait outfit would contain a 120mm (well,
135mm- Bronica has no 120mm) and 180mm- as I don't have the money, I plan to
get the 180mm.

In the studio, a 180mm would flatten the subject too much and a 120mm
would be too short. But, that's just me. :-)
Old March 4th 04, 12:36 AM
Martin Francis

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In the studio, a 180mm would flatten the subject too much and a 120mm
would be too short. But, that's just me. :-)

Too flat? Naw... page three floozies shot from half a stadium away with a
300/2.8 on 35mm is too flat...

:-)