A 500mm Pano

Old December 5th 04, 07:45 PM
Mr Jessop

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
. ..
Mr Jessop wrote:

and a very large high res chimper.

???

"Chimping" is the practice of DSLR users who look at the image they just
snapped on the LCD monitor. The 'chimper' is thus the monitor.

I've been reading the material provided to jessops by minolta. The
apparent inherant weakness of digital regarding dynamic range (highlights
and shadow detail) has supposedly been addressed by very sophisticated
image processor design and software. I have tried the anti shake myself
and managed to demonstrate it. A customer bought it on that basis. He'd
been coming in and out of the shop for some time and couldn't make his
mind up.

Personally i would be very tempted by the minolta offering myself after a
demonstration like that. The cheapest IS canon lenses are £400. Nikon
VR lenses aint cheap either. But even the cheapest minolta lenses are
now antishake with that body. Only problem is minolta missed the boat.
Most

I have 6 Minolta lenses, the 2nd cheapest of which is worth about
US$600... it all goes way up from there to US$4000 for the 300 f/2.8.
Canon do not have a solution for me. Sigma could have done the SD9/10 in
a Maxxum A mount and they would have captured 10's of thousands of sales
from the frustrated Maxxum users.

No boats missed for the large number of Minolta owners who have modest
($1000 to $2000) to extensive ($10,000+) collections of lenses. There is
no way we would get more than about 25% of the value back in selling on
the used market.

customers see want a 20d. Even though minolta have had plenty of time to
develop and ship they still can't meet the megre demand. Alot of
customers rang and cancelled their orders and went for other brands.
Since i sold the last body it still hasn't been replaced by the
warehouse.

There is certainly an initial 'rush' and bless them all for paying the
high initial price. The Canon 10D and 20D went through similar feast and
famine cycles with many outlets. (One store here had stock delivered
twice weekly and was out of stock the same day of delivery ... this went
on for a monht or so with the 20D when it came out).

There were 1000 on backorder for the entire company. But Minolta are
still keeping us waiting. Canons 300d is still a hot seller. With
rebate its now £528.

The Maxxum 7D is built very robustly, has the large chimper as well as the
A-S. So comparing it to the 300D is a bit of a stretch. In any case, the
price will, in time, fall as is the usual case.

Yes it is reasonably strong. The "platicky feel of the 300d " is
psychological. It weighs a fair bit and is quite large. Most people think
the black one is a superior model, it is in fact merely black. The fact
that the 300 and 300v are cheap n plasticky and that the 300d has a similar
functionality is the only resemblance. Most people still equate the build
quality of one with the other. Its amazing how "black" is associated with
"professional." Several customers want the black one simply because "it
looks the part" and "i want to turn pro and want to be taken seriously".
Jessops have foreseen this and insisted that you can only buy it with the
usm lens and the battery grip and therefore have to pay an extra £180.

The large display is not the bees knees. Mainly cos there isn't a seperate
display for the camera settings. You have to settle for it superimposing
one over the other. However on display only it is good. For someone not
used to seperate displays it may be ok.

Most people buy a 300d simply on its price. Considering it is the only Dslr
at that price point it will sell well. Especially to minolta owners who
couldn't wait. Its not a huge investment so they may buy a minolta dslr in
its 2nd or third incarnation. Other manufacturers are churning them out
cheaper now. Pentax isds and the soon to be released 8mp olympus. Fair or
not, prospective minolta buyers look at the price ticket first then spec
2nd. The spec they see is mp. And the 20D has more Mp for the same money.
It also has a faster shooting rate and can sustain it for longer.

As for the price falling while what demand there is exceeds supply then the
price will stay high.

Old December 6th 04, 03:40 PM
Alan Browne

Mr Jessop wrote:

As for the price falling while what demand there is exceeds supply then the
price will stay high.

Patience is a virtue.

Old December 6th 04, 09:47 PM
Mr Jessop

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
Mr Jessop wrote:

As for the price falling while what demand there is exceeds supply then
the price will stay high.

Patience is a virtue.

Well you've waited this long so what the hell?

Old December 6th 04, 10:47 PM
Alan Browne

Mr Jessop wrote:

Well you've waited this long so what the hell?

I actually just got a telephone quote that is very, very temping. I'll sleep on
it as it does not come to my threshold price ... close though...

Cheers,
Alan

Old December 6th 04, 11:10 PM

(Alan=A0Browne) wrote:
Patience is a virtue.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D

It's a very rewarding one, so is temperance.

Cody,

http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOverc...otographyLinks

Old December 7th 04, 11:21 PM

(Alan=A0Browne) wrote:
I'll drink to that!
Virtues of abstinence, moderation and virginity are best admired when
found in others.

Cheers,
Alan
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I have never gotton satisfaction from the Temporal pleasures of the
flesh. Look up and beyond the mountain top and see Jesus, satisfier of
my soul.
Also consider perseverance.

Cody,

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/b...assage=3Dmatt=
+13%3A44-46&version=3DKJV

Old December 8th 04, 02:35 AM
Annika1980

I have never gotton satisfaction from the Temporal pleasures of the
flesh.

Well I don't doubt that!
Ever try dating?