Canon Canada violates Canada's Privacy Act

Old December 5th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,can.legal
Just Me

Default Canon Canada violates Canada's Privacy Act

For Canadian dealers who want 5Dmk.II they must submit pre-sale invoices
with full customer information (name,address,phone numbers) to Canon Canada.

Canon will then match the names on all the lists, so if my name is on both
Henry's and Vistek's lists I won't get two cameras. How does Canon Canada
decide if Henry's or Vistek gets my sale?

If a small shop, didn't take a pre-sale deposit, or doesn't send in the
info, they won't get any 5Dmk.II cameras. So a small shop can't buy a couple
for the shelf knowing they'll sell.

Canon will send a display model to Henry's and Vistek (want to bet they'll
get sold too!)

This release of private information irks me, as this is a legal product,
it's not a firearm! In fact I don't think customer names get sent along to
Smith-Wesson or Colt when somebody buys a gun

Old December 5th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Just Me wrote:
For Canadian dealers who want 5Dmk.II they must submit pre-sale invoices
with full customer information (name,address,phone numbers) to Canon Canada.

Canon will then match the names on all the lists, so if my name is on both
Henry's and Vistek's lists I won't get two cameras. How does Canon Canada
decide if Henry's or Vistek gets my sale?

If a small shop, didn't take a pre-sale deposit, or doesn't send in the
info, they won't get any 5Dmk.II cameras. So a small shop can't buy a couple
for the shelf knowing they'll sell.

Canon will send a display model to Henry's and Vistek (want to bet they'll
get sold too!)

This release of private information irks me, as this is a legal product,
it's not a firearm! In fact I don't think customer names get sent along to
Smith-Wesson or Colt when somebody buys a gun

How many were you in line to buy?

Were you told up front that your info would be sent to Canon Canada?

--
john mcwilliams
Old December 5th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Me

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Just Me wrote:
[...]

No one in the stores knew, this will be done.

Old December 5th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2008-12-05 06:02:36 -0800, "Just Me" said:

For Canadian dealers who want 5Dmk.II they must submit pre-sale invoices
with full customer information (name,address,phone numbers) to Canon Canada.

Canon will then match the names on all the lists, so if my name is on both
Henry's and Vistek's lists I won't get two cameras. How does Canon Canada
decide if Henry's or Vistek gets my sale?

If a small shop, didn't take a pre-sale deposit, or doesn't send in the
info, they won't get any 5Dmk.II cameras. So a small shop can't buy a couple
for the shelf knowing they'll sell.

Canon will send a display model to Henry's and Vistek (want to bet they'll
get sold too!)

This release of private information irks me, as this is a legal product,
it's not a firearm! In fact I don't think customer names get sent along to
Smith-Wesson or Colt when somebody buys a gun

Yeah, well. If you don't like it, your name is Mr. Underhill, #4
Bagshot Row, Bag End, The Shire.

Let them see if they find that on two lists!

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old December 5th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2008-12-05 06:02:36 -0800, "Just Me" said:

For Canadian dealers who want 5Dmk.II they must submit pre-sale invoices
with full customer information (name,address,phone numbers) to Canon Canada.

Canon will then match the names on all the lists, so if my name is on both
Henry's and Vistek's lists I won't get two cameras. How does Canon Canada
decide if Henry's or Vistek gets my sale?

If a small shop, didn't take a pre-sale deposit, or doesn't send in the
info, they won't get any 5Dmk.II cameras. So a small shop can't buy a couple
for the shelf knowing they'll sell.

Canon will send a display model to Henry's and Vistek (want to bet they'll
get sold too!)

This release of private information irks me, as this is a legal product,
it's not a firearm! In fact I don't think customer names get sent along to
Smith-Wesson or Colt when somebody buys a gun

The pixel is mightier than the bullet.

Old December 5th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Humm

Why would you want to be the "First" person to buy this camera. If you have
a problem with giving personal information to Canon wait till the camera
becomes in stock with the dealers.

I generally wait for at least 6 months because within that time the price
comes down and any bugs with the camera are fixed.

I do not buy from Vistek or Henry's they are too expensive.

Old December 5th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
pboud

Humm wrote:
Why would you want to be the "First" person to buy this camera. If you have
a problem with giving personal information to Canon wait till the camera
becomes in stock with the dealers.

I generally wait for at least 6 months because within that time the price
comes down and any bugs with the camera are fixed.

I do not buy from Vistek or Henry's they are too expensive.

Out here, Vistek and McBain's are about it for solid camera shops
(though I've no complaints with the McBain's service, just the price).

Bang on though with approach to 'when' to buy a camera.

P.
Old December 5th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Humm

Out here, Vistek and McBain's are about it for solid camera shops
(though I've no complaints with the McBain's service, just the price).

Bang on though with approach to 'when' to buy a camera.

P.
I live "out here" and there are many factory authorized camera stores you
can buy cameras and photo gear at less coin than Vistek of McBain.

Privacy Wolf Digital Photography 1 July 23rd 06 09:23 PM
Shocking Autobiography Published "Canada's Spies Attacked Me: A True Story of CSIS Terrorizing a Canadian Abroad" [email protected] Digital Photography 1 May 1st 06 10:45 AM
Privacy and your email address kevin About PhotoBanter.com 0 July 3rd 04 08:36 PM